(Archived) QUESTION: Would you start a new note?

Hi All,

I am interested in what you experienced guys would do.

Based on knowledge gleaned off this forum I am so pleased with Evernote as it has made my day to day life of paperwork and note taking so much easier.

Those who have read my input in the past will know that I am an avid amateur photographer and committee member of the Southern Region (UK) RPS (Royal Photographic Society)

I have been using the iPad with Quickoffice HD Pro to annotate notes at meetings. Every meeting we have an agenda and any associated documents such as budgets or Speaker Venues and costings.

Every time a new date was made for a meeting I tried to add a new line on a note and then drop in the necessary documents. However, as I prepared for an extra meeting tomorrow I started a new note in the 'Photo - RPS' Notebook which in turn is in the 'Photography' notebook. I know some of you would not have separate notebooks, but I find it easier to maintain at the moment. My new note was then given a date code as per GrumpyMonkeys method so it is easy to locate and comes to the top of the list.

My question is, would you just keep one note inside the 'Photo - RPS' notebook with all the meeting notes and other documents or would you start a new note for every meeting?

Don't get me wrong I am at the moment happy to start a new note, unless someone convinces me otherwise! I am just interested in what you would do and why?

Best regards

Chris

More notes.

Lots and lots and lots of notes.

That's my philosophy, the main rationale being that managing notes as related fragments is a better fit, I think. Managing stuff within long notes is where I run into problems.

There's also the risk-management attitude, especially when editing on iPhone and iPad, that you could accidentally delete content if updating a note but adding notes will not affect the earlier ones.

I also spend time curating my notes into different notebooks and playing with refining my tagging.

• Level 5*

+1 for more notes. Practical reasons - as AD says, managing long notes is a pain; and if I search I want the material I need in front of my face, not buried down at line 200. Not so relevant on a desktop client maybe, but definitely a consideration on a mobile. The current limit on notes is 100,000 (I believe) and after a year I'm up to around 10,000 so there's scope for me to add a little more...

• Level 5*

Every time a new date was made for a meeting I tried to add a new line on a note and then drop in the necessary documents. However, as I prepared for an extra meeting tomorrow I started a new note in the 'Photo - RPS' Notebook which in turn is in the 'Photography' notebook. I know some of you would not have separate notebooks, but I find it easier to maintain at the moment. My new note was then given a date code as per GrumpyMonkeys method so it is easy to locate and comes to the top of the list.

Glad you are finding the approach useful. Notebooks are cool. So are tags. Whatever works best for you! That is the great thing about how Evernote is designed :)

My question is, would you just keep one note inside the 'Photo - RPS' notebook with all the meeting notes and other documents or would you start a new note for every meeting?

Definitely a new one for each meeting. It is so much easier to manage things in discrete notes, and when you are searching, this will enable you to locate information more quickly, because you won't have to scroll through a massive note to find it. If it were me, I would create an "index" note for the meetings, and drag the notes into it so that I have everything linked with "note links", but others might use tags to group them together.

http://www.princeton...ganization.html

This sounds like something you do regularly, so a saved search for "intitle:meeting" or whatever keywords you use might also be useful to have, especially for use on the iPad.

Thanks for your input guys, looks like I have already taken notice of your help in the past.

Just so loving this software!

Regards

Chris

Archived