(Archived) [Firefox 13] Clipper Incompatible

Ulysses

Once again the Evernote Web Clipper isn't compatible with a release channel upgrade of FireFox. EverNote is always last to the party. I pay for Evernote and I expect them to be ahead of the curve, not behind EVERY TIME.

My understanding is that FF has made it easier for developers by allowing you to specify only a minimum FF version and no max so that with the rapid release schedule add-ons will not be disabled even if there hasn't been a specific release for a new version. Evernote needs to get with the program.

It used to be I would have 4 or 5 add-ons affected, then 2 or 3, the last two times it has been just ONE, the same one... Evernote. I will simply close my paid Evernote account if you folks can't keep up. FF makes nightly builds available and plenty of notice so there is simply no excuse for this continued lack of day 1 FF support.

I need a product that I can rely on to work with the lastest released FF versions. FF is far more important to me than Evernote. Hint hint.

What is the status of a FF/Evernote add-on for version 13 for both Windows and Mac?

- KEM

• Level 5*

If you want official support from the Evernote team, then you should file a support request. This here is the user forum, and that's who does most of the posting here, though Evernote staffers do sometimes contribute.

Do we really need to file a request for an Evernote product? I thought support was taken for granted. The clipper is advertised as one of the most useful features of Evernote. Unless of course the FF clipper is third-party; if that is the case, my bad and I apologize in advance.

If you want official support from the Evernote team, then you should file a support request. This here is the user forum, and that's who does most of the posting here, though Evernote staffers do sometimes contribute.

Done, but was that really necessary? It shouldn't be a surprise that Mozilla was releasing a new version, this is the only add-on I use that is incompatible.

• Level 5*

Can't speak to any technical reason; in general, tracking frequently updated software can have downsides, like this one evidently. As a workaround, you should be able to use the Evernote bookmarklet, available here: http://evernote.com/webclipper/.

Hover the 'For other browsers' link, and then drag the bookmarklet to your bookmarks bar.

Solution: you can force compability by editing the "install.rdf". Find the addons folder on your machine. In this folder find the Evernote folder. My one is named {E0B8C461-F8FB-49b4-8373-FE32E9252800}. Here you find the install.rdf. Open it with a text editor (notepad++ ore something else). Find this line:

<em:maxVersion>12.*</em:maxVersion>

(line 169)

Change the "12" to "13" or higher and save the file. Restart Firefox and everything will be fine!

Change the "12" to "13" or higher and save the file. Restart Firefox and everything will be fine!

Not really. After restart the extension may be re-enabled, but the clipper still won't work. Or at least here it doesn't

@TonyKlein

O.k. - I did the editing BEFORE updating FF. During the updating process I got the message, that the Clipper is not compatible and stoppeed the process. I did this "fixing of addon incompability" already several times (different addons) and it worked.

But you already have your own solution. Great!

FYI, EN has stated several times in the past that they do not support beta OSes, browsers, etc. So if you're going to be an early adopter, you may need to accept the fact that EN won't be compatible for a bit. If you want to continue to use the clippers & such, it's probably best to leave early adoption to others or use another browser for clipping.

(Emphasis mine.)

I don't want to be ambiguous about this. We've received some rage in the past about compatibility with unreleased operating systems and browsers, so will say it more directly for the record:

While we applaud people's willingness to help vendors like Apple do early testing on their products, we do not have the resources to test, fix, and support every pre-release and beta test version of each OS and web browser. We will make a lot of effort to make sure that Evernote works great on (or shortly after) the date that the OS/browser is actually released. But we do not support Evernote on unreleased alpha- or beta-testing platforms.

Since the topic is about compatibility with FF13, I should say that FF releases through the official channel are hardly betas, though. And there's no such thing as a early adopter for a piece of software that updates every few weeks. If EN team can't keep up, it's really not a major problem for me and definitely not my place to judge (after all I am an occasional user - free version), I would just like to know in advance.

FF releases through the official channel are hardly betas, though.

Since you apparently missed it...

(Emphasis mine.)

We will make a lot of effort to make sure that Evernote works great on (or shortly after) the date that the OS/browser is actually released.

FYI, EN has stated several times in the past that they do not support beta OSes, browsers, etc. So if you're going to be an early adopter, you may need to accept the fact that EN won't be compatible for a bit. If you want to continue to use the clippers & such, it's probably best to leave early adoption to others or use another browser for clipping.

I think you missed the point entirely, version 13 is the official, released version of Firefox. It is available as beta/nightly build for an extended period of time before being released so that people can ensure their software works with it prior to release. I don't use beta versions of anything because I want my stuff to work. Again, every other add-on I have installed checks out ok, only Evernote was flagged as not compatible with the new version.

@BurgersNFries

That's what I am saying, "shortly" sounds funny when referring to a software that updates practically every month!

Which brings me; how come all my other add-ons work fine?

Oh wait.

I think you missed the point entirely, version 13 is the official, released version of Firefox. It is available as beta/nightly build for an extended period of time before being released so that people can ensure their software works with it prior to release. I don't use beta versions of anything because I want my stuff to work. Again, every other add-on I have installed checks out ok, only Evernote was flagged as not compatible with the new version.

(sigh)

Please read my previous post. EN's stance has been stated clearly. You may not agree with it or appreciate it. That's your choice. But debating this further is not productive & is only deja vu all over again.

(sigh)

Please read my previous post. EN's stance has been stated clearly. You may not agree with it or appreciate it. That's your choice. But debating this further is not productive & is only deja vu all over again.

Well, As a paying customer I find EN's clearly stated stance completely unacceptable. All of my other vendors are quite capable of "keeping up" and I expect EN to do so as well. I'm here stating my choice not to agree with or appreciate it.

We are not debating it with anyone except apparently you. We are complaining about the clearly stated EN policy in an effort to see it changed. Any questions?

- KEM

We are not debating it with anyone except apparently you. We are complaining about the clearly stated EN policy in an effort to see it changed.

Nope, you're not debating it with me. I wasn't debating it at all. If y'all can't understand the policy that I've reposted (from Dave Engberg, CTO of EN) several times, then you never will. As others have said on other topics, EN has to balance time/resources/money across a lot of things. I guess there will always be those who think EN should be at their beck & call to fix/add something yesterday. Hopefully, you can understand & appreciate that. And part of the deal with early adopters is the fact that things may not work the way you want them to. (shrug)

Hi all,

Sorry for the inconvenience for all Firefox users, we are doing everything we can to get the new build approved by Mozilla ASAP.

Going forward this should not happen anymore since we've found a way to be forward compatible with the Web Clipper native clipping components. Once The pending 5.1 version is approved we will not necessarily have to submit a new version for every new Firefox.

Hi all,

Sorry for the inconvenience for all Firefox users, we are doing everything we can to get the new build approved by Mozilla ASAP.

Going forward this should not happen anymore since we've found a way to be forward compatible with the Web Clipper native clipping components. Once The pending 5.1 version is approved we will not necessarily have to submit a new version for every new Firefox.

Thank you for posting the status and for changing the add-on to tolerate future version change more gracefully.

- KEM

We are not debating it with anyone except apparently you. We are complaining about the clearly stated EN policy in an effort to see it changed.

Nope, you're not debating it with me. I wasn't debating it at all. If y'all can't understand the policy that I've reposted (from Dave Engberg, CTO of EN) several times, then you never will. As others have said on other topics, EN has to balance time/resources/money across a lot of things. I guess there will always be those who think EN should be at their beck & call to fix/add something yesterday. Hopefully, you can understand & appreciate that. And part of the deal with early adopters is the fact that things may not work the way you want them to. (shrug)

Clearly we have a different expectation from our vendors and interpretation of the word "early adopter". Users running the pre-release builds are early adopters. People running an officially released version are people who launch their browser, it auto updates, and once again EN is broken.

> "And part of the deal with early adopters is the fact that things may not work the way you want them to."

I was dealing with it not working the way I wanted it to, We were complaining and it seems to have worked. :)

> "If y'all can't understand the policy that I've reposted (from Dave Engberg, CTO of EN) several times, then you never will."

I understand it; the point is I want it changed. Based on the post from EN it appears they are changing it to meet my expectations by removing the strict version checking and conforming to the new standard of practice for FF add-ons. That should avoid this from happening in the future.

Thank you for posting, explaining, and defending the EN policy "several times" for us folk who cain't figger these things easy as you.

Regards. - KEM

Will there be a release/update of Web Clipper to provide compatability with Firefox V. 13, recently released? I don't really want to give up Firefox, but I'd be open to "negotiation" if there was a browser out there whose people work with Evernote to avoid this kind of headache for me as a user.

Hi all,

Just a notification that the Web Clipper 5.1 for Firefox with FF13 support has now been approved by Mozilla.

If you installed the beta version, please go through the trouble of uninstalling and then re-installing from this location:

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/evernote-web-clipper/

That way you will automatically get new updates for the Web Clipper.

Archived