(Archived) HOWTO: Check total number of notebooks?

EvernoteConnoisseur

Idea

I have about 200-250 notebooks that I constantly edit, remove and add to streamline my categorization of notes on Evernote.

Is there a way to find out on Evernote how many notebooks are on my account at any given time quickly without resorting to manual counting? It's scary and problematic to get "can't sync notebooks" warning sometimes when the supposed 250-notebook limit is reached.

The main issue is when the limit is exceeded, aside from the fact of the inconsistent warning, I can't continue to edit or remove the additional notebooks when working from a different computer, so having an easy way to get the total number of notebooks would be crucial to prevent my notebooks from exceeding 250 thus giving me a chance to stay within limit before I move on to a different computer to edit.

30 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

HERE'S THE SCARY PART, PLEASE READ CAREFULLY.

When you have more than 250, everytime you will try to sync a new note it will give you the error and then it will look like it went away and it's now syncing BUT HERE'S THE CATCH! If you go and look on a different device, like your Ipad or the web client, The note itself will have been uploaded but it will be created in your default notebook , NOT in the notebook where you created it on your desktop. So what this is doing is breaking the symmetry you once had on all your devices. Now Notes will be at different places. NOW here's what's even scarier . If you make any changes in that note on that other device, it will sync and then move your note into the default folder on the desktop app. SO that means it is disorganizing your notes ! You will be looking for said note and it will have disappeared and moved to your default folder.

What This means is that what once was this beautiful symmetry on all your devices is now all screwed up by the inconsistencies introduced by this 250 limit.

Good Work Evernote...

lpr, thanks lpr for describing the "scary" part of this whole experience, I had a big mess-up a while ago when I discovered this problem. I ended up losing about 200 notes, and had another few hundred notes mis-categorized due to this weird "notebook limit" issue that is not well-documented.

Evernote, please be transparent about this. Even if you don't have intention to fix this, please at least give me some insights onto how these limits work, so I could at least try to avoid these landmines. Your silence is not helping.

I wrote to support about it and got a copy/paste type of answer saying they could not say anything about future changes to the app....

I'd like to think they read the forum and thay maybe they are paying attention to this issue...

It's true that the app (on any client) is poorly documented, it is certainly unclear what will happen when you reach 250 notebooks, and for a long while now, several of us have been urging Evernote to address this problem. I am not sure why they have not, but I am sure that they know about our request, and that they read this forum.

In the meantime, I recommend reducing your number of notebooks, and considering some of the alternative strategies for organization that we have recommended on the forums. I wish that tags could do some of the things that notebooks could do like sharing, but if wishes were fishes... Anyhow, a mix of tags and notebooks seems to be one of the most common solutions. I use a system that doesn't rely on notebooks or tags (http://www.princeton.edu/~cmayo/evernote-organization.html). Whatever you choose, you'll want to fit it to your workflow and the Evernote clients you use the most.

lol, it's funny how people who "raise issues" are labeled as "subset problem focusers". And how "suggestions and workaround" are being offerred up as "solutions" while the actual Evernote designers stay silent on this whole thing. The funniest part is, "hold your phone this way otherwise just go buy a different phone." I'm also done with this thread.

lpr, thanks for your patience.

Apparently you overlooked my post to you, so I'll repost:

@David33409, thanks for bringing up your user experience regarding the "Too many notebooks" issue, I don't think you have to worry about the so-called "Evernote evangelists" giving those negative Steve-Job type "just don't use your evenote this way" type responses anymore on here. I have seen so many issues taken into proper consideration, handled and resolved by Evernote eventually even though some "evangelists" were telling others to not bother Evernote with requests and concerns. I wonder how Evernote would have implemented "multiple user switching" feature among others without these customer feedback.

Here we go with the Evenote Evangelist bashing again. Please point out where anyone has said to "not bother Evernote with requests and concerns. ".

FYI, our suggestions are to help other users learn how to use Evernote in a way that is helpful for the user and is a way they can possibly do it now. We ALL have to work with the limitations of all the software we use, not just Evernote. The Evangelists are long time users of Evernote who are very knowledgeable about how it works & we all volunteer our time to help others. Funny how most of the Evangelist bashing comes from people who rarely (if ever) post helpful answers to other users.

Additionally, Steve Jobs was in a position where he could make a change. You & I & everyone else here don't have that luxury. Only a few of the top people at EN have the ability to green light things. So, as has been pointed out repeatedly in not only this thread but others, we all have to work within the limitations of the software.

• Level 5*

lol, it's funny how people who "raise issues" are labeled as "subset problem focusers". And how "suggestions and workaround" are being offerred up as "solutions" while the actual Evernote designers stay silent on this whole thing.

This is a user forum. It's nice when Evernote folks drop in, but in the meantime, all that we users can do is offer suggestions as to how to make Evernote work as it exists for us today. Sometimes workarounds are the only solutions. Raising issues is fine, and I don't even disagree with all of them, but there are ways to make today's Evernote work for lpr, I believe, if lpr wants to make an effort.

lol, it's funny how people who "raise issues" are labeled as "subset problem focusers". And how "suggestions and workaround" are being offerred up as "solutions" while the actual Evernote designers stay silent on this whole thing. The funniest part is, "hold your phone this way otherwise just go buy a different phone." I'm also done with this thread.

lpr, thanks for your patience.

• Level 5*

Well yes, because at thins point I realize that not only is there a limit but if you go over , despite the fact that nothing really seems to happen, there is the real possibility for seriously messing up things. And since it does not warn you nor let you monitor how many notebooks you currently have, when you create a new one it defaults to synced notebook even if you are over your limit . It would make a lot more sense if once the limit reached it could only create local notebooks. At least it would prevent us from messing up all our notes by the previously described scenario.

I really appreciate all the advice people have been giving me about finding alternative to notebooks and I am looking into it but I am realizing now that this is not just a question of limit , there's a real problem when suddenly your data starts to get disorganized . This is a multi platform app... I'm afraid that until I hear from EN I will refrain from using it all together on any other device than my laptop.

I think we are in agreement on just about everything: Evernote needs better documentation, Evernote needs to have a better system in place for when you reach a limit, and Evernote ought to get rid of the arbitrary limits. However, I cannot understand how you reached your conclusion.

If you stay under the limit, then your data does not "start to get disorganized." It is just fine, and you know that, so why would you refrain from using it altogether? From my point of view, this is akin to saying that people sometimes send spam links in emails, so you aren't going to use email. Just don't click on the links :)

Haha yes except my notebooks are not spam! I don't want to get rid of them. I want to USE them. And the problem is by hitting this limit now it introduces some serious doubts about how much this app really is tailored for the future. You don't just stop sending mail. Just like I need to keep creating notebooks as months and years go buy and reasons to create them occur.

Anyway, It just doesn't seem like a thing you want your users to be confronted to. To suddenly be told they have reached their limit doesn't really inspire confidence in the potentiality for the app to fallow you for years .

I guess it wasn't the best analogy :)

Although I agree that the limits for just about everything ought to be removed, their presence doesn't seem like much of an obstacle to me, because a combination of 10,000 tags and 250 notebooks can get you pretty far. In my case, if not for the shared notebooks, I would be managing many thousands of notes with just one notebook and no tags at all. In other words, if you modify your system to fit the app that exists, not the app you want it to be, then it should be fine for several decades.

Yeah, you know , I get what you are saying and it makes sense but if they had wanted their whole system to rely on tags and not notebooks then why create them. Or why not allow only 5 . By allowing 250 they allow people to rely heavily on them before it blows up in their face. And I have already pointed out the other problems with tags in IOS. If you wanted to browse in your 10 000 tags in an iPad you would have no way to group this 10 000 tags.... that's a lot of tags.... Not really good for keeping things neat. In y opinion both tags and notebooks have their respective uses . They both serve a purpose . And we should be able to use a fair amount of both.

In my opinion, Evernote was originally designed as a tag system (I believe we only had 100 notebooks at launch, but I don't remember well). The notebooks were there for coarse categories, and the tags were there for fine ones. It wasn't until later that they increased the number to 250, added stacks, and allowed you to have parent/child tags. The documentation has not kept up, but that doesn't mean the app is not developing well.

As you have noted, the mobile platforms don't offer very much flexibility when it comes to handling the tags and notebooks. Again, I recommend designing your workflow to fit the constraints of the clients you use. Ideally, we'd have parity (as much as possible) across all of the clients and no limits, but in reality we don't, so you'll want to adapt to survive :)

When you use a product, any product you have to accept the limitations that the product currently has and either tailor your use to meet those limitations or choose a different product.

It seems to me that you are probably in a very very small subset of users who have hundreds of notebooks, well at the moment the limit is 250. You can either manage with that or utilise any of the suggestions that seem to have been made for you or else look for something that you think is more suitable.

Yes; and that is exactly what I have done for years now. tailor my use to evernote's own functionalities . And now I find myself hitting my head against a wall , some arbitrary 250 restriction on notebooks?

Anyway, you all seem really sold on the idea , I'm not trying to convince you. I still think evernote is a great app, that's precisely why I am specially frustrated to be suddenly told by the app itself and by everyone on this forum that maybe it's not an app for me and that I should change my whole way of working when up until now I loved the app and committed countless crucial data to it....

Well yes, because at thins point I realize that not only is there a limit but if you go over , despite the fact that nothing really seems to happen, there is the real possibility for seriously messing up things. And since it does not warn you nor let you monitor how many notebooks you currently have, when you create a new one it defaults to synced notebook even if you are over your limit . It would make a lot more sense if once the limit reached it could only create local notebooks. At least it would prevent us from messing up all our notes by the previously described scenario.

I really appreciate all the advice people have been giving me about finding alternative to notebooks and I am looking into it but I am realizing now that this is not just a question of limit , there's a real problem when suddenly your data starts to get disorganized . This is a multi platform app... I'm afraid that until I hear from EN I will refrain from using it all together on any other device than my laptop.

I think we are in agreement on just about everything: Evernote needs better documentation, Evernote needs to have a better system in place for when you reach a limit, and Evernote ought to get rid of the arbitrary limits. However, I cannot understand how you reached your conclusion.

If you stay under the limit, then your data does not "start to get disorganized." It is just fine, and you know that, so why would you refrain from using it altogether? From my point of view, this is akin to saying that people sometimes send spam links in emails, so you aren't going to use email. Just don't click on the links :)

Haha yes except my notebooks are not spam! I don't want to get rid of them. I want to USE them. And the problem is by hitting this limit now it introduces some serious doubts about how much this app really is tailored for the future. You don't just stop sending mail. Just like I need to keep creating notebooks as months and years go buy and reasons to create them occur.

Anyway, It just doesn't seem like a thing you want your users to be confronted to. To suddenly be told they have reached their limit doesn't really inspire confidence in the potentiality for the app to fallow you for years .

Although I agree that the limits for just about everything ought to be removed, their presence doesn't seem like much of an obstacle to me, because a combination of 10,000 tags and 250 notebooks can get you pretty far. In my case, if not for the shared notebooks, I would be managing many thousands of notes with just one notebook and no tags at all. In other words, if you modify your system to fit the app that exists, not the app you want it to be, then it should be fine for several decades.

Yeah, you know , I get what you are saying and it makes sense but if they had wanted their whole system to rely on tags and not notebooks then why create them. Or why not allow only 5 . By allowing 250 they allow people to rely heavily on them before it blows up in their face. And I have already pointed out the other problems with tags in IOS. If you wanted to browse in your 10 000 tags in an iPad you would have no way to group this 10 000 tags.... that's a lot of tags.... Not really good for keeping things neat. In y opinion both tags and notebooks have their respective uses . They both serve a purpose . And we should be able to use a fair amount of both.

• Level 5*

When you use a product, any product you have to accept the limitations that the product currently has and either tailor your use to meet those limitations or choose a different product.

It seems to me that you are probably in a very very small subset of users who have hundreds of notebooks, well at the moment the limit is 250. You can either manage with that or utilise any of the suggestions that seem to have been made for you or else look for something that you think is more suitable.

@David33409, thanks for bringing up your user experience regarding the "Too many notebooks" issue, I don't think you have to worry about the so-called "Evernote evangelists" giving those negative Steve-Job type "just don't use your evenote this way" type responses anymore on here. I have seen so many issues taken into proper consideration, handled and resolved by Evernote eventually even though some "evangelists" were telling others to not bother Evernote with requests and concerns. I wonder how Evernote would have implemented "multiple user switching" feature among others without these customer feedback.

Here we go with the Evenote Evangelist bashing again. Please point out where anyone has said to "not bother Evernote with requests and concerns. ".

FYI, our suggestions are to help other users learn how to use Evernote in a way that is helpful for the user and is a way they can possibly do it now. We ALL have to work with the limitations of all the software we use, not just Evernote. The Evangelists are long time users of Evernote who are very knowledgeable about how it works & we all volunteer our time to help others. Funny how most of the Evangelist bashing comes from people who rarely (if ever) post helpful answers to other users.

While I appreciate your dedication to helping other users use evernote, you need to understand that not everyone will find your advice works for them. And up until now I was able to use Evernote happily and without problem MY WAY. And while I do not expect the EN team to develop the app to my specific needs, I expect to be able to keep using the basic features that they themselves built into the app. They created that notebook system , not me. They made me use it. I like it, I want to keep using it and it just so happens that I need more than 250 notebooks. And it's just not good enough to simply answer well too bad, now start using tags cause we'v arbitrarily decided for you that you were only going to need 250 notebooks during your lifetime...

• Level 5*

Another thing that makes no sense what so ever is that Once a notebook is created you can not change it's sync options. So there is no easy way to manage tis 250 synced notebooks limit by toggling them on or offline.

It may not make sense to you. I'm sure there's a valid reason. But since neither you nor I are intimate with what goes on under the hood of Evernote, it's not for us to say. It's VERY easy to work around though. If you have a local notebook named "car A", simply rename it "car a local" or whatever. Now, create synced notebook "car a", select all the notes in the "car a local" notebook & move them to the "car a" notebook. Now you can delete the "car a local" notebook.

• Level 5*

When you have more than 250, everytime you will try to sync a new note it will give you the error and then it will look like it went away and it's now syncing BUT HERE'S THE CATCH! If you go and look on a different device, like your Ipad or the web client, The note itself will have been uploaded but it will be created in your default notebook , NOT in the notebook where you created it on your desktop. So what this is doing is breaking the symmetry you once had on all your devices. Now Notes will be at different places. NOW here's what's even scarier . If you make any changes in that note on that other device, it will sync and then move your note into the default folder on the desktop app. SO that means it is disorganizing your notes ! You will be looking for said note and it will have disappeared and moved to your default folder.

What This means is that what once was this beautiful symmetry on all your devices is now all screwed up by the inconsistencies introduced by this 250 limit.

Good Work Evernote...

lpr, thanks lpr for describing the "scary" part of this whole experience, I had a big mess-up a while ago when I discovered this problem. I ended up losing about 200 notes, and had another few hundred notes mis-categorized due to this weird "notebook limit" issue that is not well-documented.

Evernote, please be transparent about this. Even if you don't have intention to fix this, please at least give me some insights onto how these limits work, so I could at least try to avoid these landmines. Your silence is not helping.

I wrote to support about it and got a copy/paste type of answer saying they could not say anything about future changes to the app....

I'd like to think they read the forum and thay maybe they are paying attention to this issue...

Another thing that makes no sense what so ever is that Once a notebook is created you can not change it's sync options. So there is no easy way to manage tis 250 synced notebooks limit by toggling them on or offline.

Good Work Evernote...

Speaking of features, yes please, Evernote staff, could you look into this outstanding "Too Many Notebooks" issues which is not necessary and arbitrary at best? What makes a certain number "Too many"? Ok, fine, if you really want to insist on people with a arbitrary number of 250 deemed as having "too many notebooks" then at least provide us wtih a simple notebook count so we can live within your arbitrarily-imposed number of 250?

Better still, offer us options. Make me pay more to get more notebooks. Charge me something to keep extra notebooks. I don't really care at this point.

Just something, anything? Please don't be silent on this issue?

YES , PLEASE.

Ever since experiencing this yesterday and looking into it I have only been finding more and more troubling inconsistencies regarding this limit....

For what it is worth, I'm getting the error "Too many notebooks" VERY often. When I hit Sync again it usually works. Why would it fail the first time because of "too many notebooks" and then work 5 seconds later with the same number of notebooks? This makes little sense to me.

Not having the ability to determine how many notebooks I have is disappointing. If EN knows I have "Too many notebooks" when why not add the count to the error message? Why not say "You have too many notebooks (110). You are only allowed 250. If you try again in 5 seconds it will work."?

I guess I'm one of those "Notebook" lovers that aren't ready to switch to being a "tag" lover. I know one of the Evangelists will tell me EN is not for me if I am a "notebook" lover but please save your typing. Only positive, useful responses please.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

Good Work Evernote...

• Level 5*

@David33409, thanks for bringing up your user experience regarding the "Too many notebooks" issue, I don't think you have to worry about the so-called "Evernote evangelists" giving those negative Steve-Job type "just don't your evenote this way" type responses anymore on here. I have seen so many issues taken into proper consideration, handled and resolved by Evernote eventually even though these "evangelists" were telling others to not bother Evernote with requests and concerns. I wonder how Evernote would have implemented "multiple user switching" feature among others without these customer feedback.

Speaking of features, yes please, Evernote staff, could you look into this outstanding "Too Many Notebooks" issues which is not necessary and arbitrary at best? What makes a certain number "Too many"? Ok, fine, if you really want to insist on people with a arbitrary number of 250 deemed as having "too many notebooks" then at least provide us wtih a simple notebook count so we can live within your arbitrarily-imposed number of 250?

Better still, offer us options. Make me pay more to get more notebooks. Charge me something to keep extra notebooks. I don't really care at this point.

I think Evernote Evangelists have some useful stuff to say, and sometimes they even agree with you. In this thread and others. Fancy that :)

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/28516-250-notebooks-is-not-enough/#entry154188

Of course, I am a little biased! But, whatever we say or do as users, the app is what it is, Evernote staff don't generally talk about the roadmap, and they have long resisted calls for a change in the notebooks.That is their decision (they may reverse it someday).

As an Evernote evangelist working with the app since its early days, I try to speak from experience and recommend people design their workflows for the features that exist, AND to please come on the forums and request new ones. I've got a few wishlists floating around, and I am making requests all of the time as well. Evernote staff listen, and sometimes they agree with suggestions, so you never know.

• Level 5

Many of the Evernote power users have commented that they started out using too many notebooks.

They later found the program works far, far better with a limited number of notebooks.

For what it is worth, I'm getting the error "Too many notebooks" VERY often. When I hit Sync again it usually works. Why would it fail the first time because of "too many notebooks" and then work 5 seconds later with the same number of notebooks? This makes little sense to me.

Not having the ability to determine how many notebooks I have is disappointing. If EN knows I have "Too many notebooks" when why not add the count to the error message? Why not say "You have too many notebooks (110). You are only allowed 250. If you try again in 5 seconds it will work."?

I guess I'm one of those "Notebook" lovers that aren't ready to switch to being a "tag" lover. I know one of the Evangelists will tell me EN is not for me if I am a "notebook" lover but please save your typing. Only positive, useful responses please.

Thank you in advance for your time and consideration.

• Level 5*

I haven't noticed "can't sync notebooks" error message lately, but my Windows Evernote client has ~100 less notes than the Mac client even after successful sync to server.

Is this caused by "too many notebook" (>250) again?

I just don't know of a way to realiably see the total number of notebooks I have on the Mac without manually counting it. Why wouldn't Evernote implement a "total notebooks" stat/info somewhere? Please!

I suppose that since there is a limit, it would be nice to know how many tags, notes, and so forth you have in your account. Until that happens, assuming you take about a second to count each one, we are talking about less time than it took to write the post :)

I haven't noticed "can't sync notebooks" error message lately, but my Windows Evernote client has ~100 less notes than the Mac client even after successful sync to server.

Is this caused by "too many notebook" (>250) again?

I just don't know of a way to realiably see the total number of notebooks I have on the Mac without manually counting it. Why wouldn't Evernote implement a "total notebooks" stat/info somewhere? Please!

• Level 5

Each Evernote account is subject to the following limitations:

• 100,000 Notes; each note can be a maximum of 25 megabytes (mb) for free users and 50mb for Premium users.
  • 250 Synchronized Notebooks (including Notebook Stacks). All 250 notebooks can be shared. There is no limit to the number of Local Notebooks (which aren't synced) you can have.
  • 10,000 Tags.
  • 100 Saved Searches.

From Evenote Knowledgebase:

https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=532&hitOffset=23&docID=23743

I couldn't find definitive documentation on the 250 notebook limit but read from some forum posts it's 250, so just making an assumption here.

The warning sometimes comes up but sometimes doesn't even though "for sure" I have notebooks count exceeding 250, but may be it's just a function of sync delay but in any case, having an actual "total notebook" count just like the "total notes" count would allow me to exactly how many notebooks I have and when I'm approaching the limit.

As far as I know, there's no way to do this. If I'm wrong, though, I trust someone will come along to correct the record.

Out of curiosity: Why do you call the notebook limit "supposed"? And what is inconsistent about the warning?

Archived