(Archived) Access two Evernote accounts with iPhone App?

Joan

hi there,

sorry if this was diskussed before, I could not find it.

I have two Evernote accounts. On my Mac I am using Evernote Switcher to switch between those two. Now I got me an iPhone and installed the Evernote App. Now, is there a way to swithc between the accounts? Or to log out of one account and log into another? i could not find a way to log me out. Anyone can help me?

Thanks.

i could not find a way to log me out. Anyone can help me?

Synchronization page, log out.

However, I'm guessing switching between two accounts on the iPhone will be rather slow, since the app will need to re-download the database info (headers & such) each time you switch accounts.

oh. thanks. now i found it, there at the very top.

But you are right, logging ot / in is not a solution. it is too complicated, too slow. Is there another way to switch between two evernote accounts on the iphone? Maybe there is some way two install the Evernote app twice or something.

Anybody an idea?

@engberg, here's a motivation for faster account switching:

We have 3 active iPhones and 1 iPad. Each family member has their own iPhone but at present we share the one Premium Evernote account. But we might change to 3 accounts, who knows?

We share the iPad - as the house utility device of choice. If we went to 3 accounts we'd want to be able to switch fast when we picked up the shared iPad.

And now a question: Does the data storage model in the iPhone client preclude >1 account's notes being stored? If not then fast switching might be feasible. If it does then the current slow way is the only option.

The local data stored by the application (especially Offline Notebooks) is specific to an account, so if you sign off and sign in as someone else, all of the data is purged for security reasons.

• 6 months later...

I found a solution for accessing 2nd account on iPhone. You can use it alongside Evernote account. You don't need to access the mobile version via web browser.

Evernote is huge in Japan, seems like a new religion over there. There are dozens of applications for Evernote designed in Japan.

The new app is called GANESA. It has certain limitations, for instance it doesn't download all your notes for offline reading. You have to click each of them individually. Also, the text is too small, doesn't scale to screen size. But you can zoom as you would in a browser.

It's pretty good, better than nothing actually.

Ganesa:

http://itunes.apple.com/mt/app/ganesa/id418784003?mt=8

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

I just installed v3.3 of the Mac version with fast switching between accounts. That got me thinking about if I should use two accounts: one private and one for work. But to make it reasonable easy to use multiple accounts i would like to see fast switching on my iPhone/iPad also. Are there any plans for this?

• Level 5*

I'm sure there are, the overall ambition is completely parity across all platforms. However, Evernote pretty much never pre-announce functionality or discuss their timelines.

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums! Evernote doesn't usually let the elephant out of the bag, so you may not learn if they are planning to do it, but I would say there is a widespread effort to have parity among the clients, so it seems . There are a whole lot of other features, though, that I hope/expect come first.

As for using two accounts, I would recommend that you avoid lobotomizing your external brain. I suppose, if your personal and professional lives are entirely separate, it might work, but otherwise, it will likely be more trouble than it is worth.

I agree completely with the splitting issue, my main reason here are for legal reasons. Since I work for a university there are certain rules for what is public and what information I need to present if requested. And for obvious reasons I don't want to hand over private info just because of something that has happened at work.

• Level 5*

I agree completely with the splitting issue, my main reason here are for legal reasons. Since I work for a university there are certain rules for what is public and what information I need to present if requested. And for obvious reasons I don't want to hand over private info just because of something that has happened at work.

I work at a university as well, and I wonder if there is a situation in which you would be asked to hand over your Evernote account. I am interested to hear what kind of legal issues arise with Evernote in your situation, because it would seem to me that unless you have a draconian IT department, you should be fine.

I'm actually checking up on this at the moment since I'm planning to start using Evernote for real at work. But by law I think we're required to save all emails that we receive (nobody has asked for my emails for as long I've worked at a university - but it has happened), and other documents that is considered to be public information.

This has some funny consequences, if I'm correcting an exam and write down notes/comments on the students answer then it's apparently possible for a student to come and ask to see his/her exam (public info). If the student then see, based on my notes, that he/she will pass but get a low grade he/she can withdraw the exam and retake it later to get a better grade. However, if I write my notes on a separate piece of paper then it's "working material" and the student can't see them ... which mean that I can register the exams and the student can't retake a passed exam.

Email is simple, even if I my emails in one client the accounts are separate and it's really easy to give anyone a electronic copy of my work emails (I'm not going to spend my time digging out the ones they want).

So when I saw that this multiple account feature I started to think about notes etc in electronic form and what applies to them. I know that some stuff is public info but I'm unsure exactly what and what applies, I'm currently checking up on this.

• Level 5*

I'm actually checking up on this at the moment since I'm planning to start using Evernote for real at work. But by law I think we're required to save all emails that we receive (nobody has asked for my emails for as long I've worked at a university - but it has happened), and other documents that is considered to be public information.

This has some funny consequences, if I'm correcting an exam and write down notes/comments on the students answer then it's apparently possible for a student to come and ask to see his/her exam (public info). If the student then see, based on my notes, that he/she will pass but get a low grade he/she can withdraw the exam and retake it later to get a better grade. However, if I write my notes on a separate piece of paper then it's "working material" and the student can't see them ... which mean that I can register the exams and the student can't retake a passed exam.

Email is simple, even if I my emails in one client the accounts are separate and it's really easy to give anyone a electronic copy of my work emails (I'm not going to spend my time digging out the ones they want).

So when I saw that this multiple account feature I started to think about notes etc in electronic form and what applies to them. I know that some stuff is public info but I'm unsure exactly what and what applies, I'm currently checking up on this.

Thanks for the explanation. Oh, the joys of the law! I have no knowledge of those requirements, and it sounds suspiciously like a local (state or institutional) policy based on an interpretation of state/federal laws. Or, I am just uninformed! I am not aware, for example, of any policy at the universities where I have worked that would give a student the ability to withdraw an exam and retake it later.

Anyhow, Evernote is pretty cool for school. Let's say you have your students submit papers electronically. You can forward all of those to your Evernote account and have a record of the originals. Then, when you are marking up a paper (I use the iPad for this), you can send a copy to your student and to yourself in Evernote (I recommend BCC). This gives you two notes for each paper, one with the original, and one with the comments. This is overkill (really, you only need the version with your comments), but I prefer to have both, just in case. At the end of the semester, you drag all of the notes into a single one to create note links, and you have a chronological record of every paper and every grade you gave in the class (I title my notes YYMMDD student name + assignment description, but you could just as well sort by created dates to get them in order).

If you have to keep a copy of all emails you receive on your university account, Evernote will not impact this at all. You are just forwarding them. The university has about as much right to see your private papers (maybe, a printed out email) as they have to see these notes in your Evernote account. However, IT departments can be a little bizarre in their interpretations of laws and the broad powers of regulation that they assign to themselves (this is a great topic for a dissertation) if you ask them, so I prefer not to unless there really does seem (in my mind) to be a legal issue at stake (I remember downloading a browser into my office computer at one university required all sorts of hoop jumping, and was definitely not worth the effort--I ended up just getting my own computer).

When could there be a problem? For example, if some teacher decided to take the graded papers and put them into a shared notebook, that would seem to be a major problem to me, but that violates common sense so fundamentally that I think it is well-beyond the pale, and Evernote is not really the issue.

I'm in Sweden so the laws are a bit different here.

I've actually spent some time today trying to figure out what applies and the basic concept is that everything is public if it in any way relates to an official decision, etc (in addition to incoming email, letters, etc). Meeting notes are private UNLESS they relate to official decision ... so the meeting notes or emails where grades etc are discussed are public.

However, the key for my situation seem to be how these documents should be handed out if requested. The stuff I've read today says that the requested documents should be handed out "quickly" ... but not if I need to hand over login info etc. I've asked the lawyers for a clarification of this part so I have to wait a couple of weeks (vacation time) before I know.

I just installed v3.3 of the Mac version with fast switching between accounts. That got me thinking about if I should use two accounts: one private and one for work. But to make it reasonable easy to use multiple accounts i would like to see fast switching on my iPhone/iPad also. Are there any plans for this?

Hi @jemostrom! Fast account switching is something we're considering for a future version of the iOS application. No ETA as of yet, but it's on our radar for sure.

• 7 months later...

Can two different Evernote accounts (free) be accessed on the same device? When I open the Evernote iPad app, it immediately brings up one account. My assistant has her own Evernote account and needs to be able to access both her and my accounts on her iPad. (This would be the same dilemma for two people sharing one iPad.)

I could not find a way to log out of that account and log into another within the mobile app (I was able to get into the other account by accessing it via the browser). Thanks!

Hi realestate.

As far as I know, you can't access two EN accounts at the same time on the same device. But, as you said, you can exit from one of them and log in into another. In iOS you just touch the shield icon in the upper left corner, and in the displayed menu, at the right of the word "ACCOUNT" you have a button to exit. But be careful, I don't know what happens to cached notes.

Another way you could resolve this problem is having one premium account. It allows you to have shared notebooks from one account to another. But, of course, it takes some money (worth one, if you ask me).

Hope this helps.

• Level 5*

I'm pretty sure that if you log out of your account your Offline Notebooks will be deleted - just something to think about if you are going to go down this road.

• 9 months later...

Hi @jemostrom! Fast account switching is something we're considering for a future version of the iOS application. No ETA as of yet, but it's on our radar for sure.

As someone who works with data retention and compliance issues I think this is a must have, especially for those of us who work in business that require us to segregate our business and personal data.  I know some of the Evernote purists are against separate accounts; however, commingling personal and business data can be extremely problematic long term (e.g., users may find folks like me collecting all of their notebooks as evidence, including personal notebooks, if their business or employer is ever involved in a civli law-suite).    The business account option gets me almost where I need to be, but there are a lot of us who really need to create and share more than one business account to make that viable (e.g., I work as a manager / consultant for law firm A, serve on the board of advisors for company B, and teach electronic evidence and data security classes for company C).

Archived