Cursor position now defaults to beginning, not end, when editing a note?

Since the 4.2.1 update, it seems the initial cursor position has changed when I select the 'pencil' to edit a note:

Previously the keyboard would pop up and I would be scrolled to the end of the note -- very useful when the note is long and I want to add to it.

But now I have to manually scroll to the end of the note -- which, if the note is long, can be extremely tedious on an iPhone screen.

Shouldn't the default be to add text to the end of a note, not the beginning?

(iOS 5.1.1, Evernote v4.2.1, iPhone 4S)

• Level 5*

Personally, I don't have a strong preference. Instead, I would like to see the ability to just tap somewhere in a note and start editing (likewe see in PllainText, Elements, SimpleNote, etc.). This would speed up the note editing process.

• 6 months later...

I just updated to Evernote 5.1 on all of my Apple devices:iPod 3G (iOS 5.11); iPhone 4S and iPad 3rd Gen (iOS and 6.01). What a pain is this latest version update!!!

Whenever I copy and paste some text to an EN note on which I am working, the cursor disappears and the screen jumps back to the top. I have to tap on the note's screen to bring back the cursor and scroll to the last place of entry to continue editing. Nuts!

As an aside, this version 5.1 also had bundled two of my notebooks together and wrapped a band around it which said "2 notebooks". I had to delete the bundled notebooks, recreate each notebook and name. Then I imported backup data to each of these recreated notebooks.

It seems Evernote is always fixing something which ain't broke but breaking it anyway.

• 3 months later...

This is the one feature I HATE most about Evernote.

When I open a note I had been working on,

the cursor is at the start of the first word in the TITLE of the note!!!

If I'm opening a note I was working on to edit it,

obviously I want to continue WHERE I HAD LEFT OFF.

Even if I would want to change the title, the cursor is STILL in the wrong position--at the start of the title, and not the end.

Whoever made this feature should be fired.  It's the stupidest feature ever.

This is especially annoying when you frequently revisit a note to add more to it...say, for a workout log.  

After every set, I open the note, and the cursor has jumped up to the start of the title of the note.

PLEASE FIX!!!

If anyone can give me an Evernote alternative, I'll switch.  

I frequently revisit a document (frequently, as in, every 5 minutes) to add to it.

So far I've had to press "back" (to get rid of the keyboard), then click the body of the text instead of the title,

then scroll down, down, down, down, down, until I'm at the end.

This feature is driving me crazy.
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Frustrating for me too -- have to scroll thru the whole note to get to where I want to start typing. Should be able to just start writing because the cursor is at the end of the note.

I realize this thread is old -- there's still no resolution to this correct?

• 2 weeks later...

bumping this -- more scrolling of long notes to get to bottom to start writing on all my devices.   Just want to start writing, no obstacles before...    Note programs like Vesper and others allow 'start at bottom of note'  -- start at top is illogical and inefficient for a lot if not most notes.

• 1 month later...

Wow.  This was bumped in December and the problem still exists?  I am surprised there aren't more complaints about this behavior.  I fully agree with rblnr.  It concerns me that evernote doesn't seem to respond to this problem.  I wonder if I should invest inputing a bunch of info into evernote when other note apps may prove more logical and responsive.  Why the heck would I want to add to the top of a note?

Glad to see some others pick this up. Am pretty entrenched with Evernote but getting increasingly frustrated/willing to move on for continued lack of such an obvious, basic feature.

What are you using Brainbuster?

• 1 month later...

I would have to say that I absolutely loathe the fact that I cannot easily go the end of a note. Nine times out of ten, that is where I need to go, I am about ready to abandon evernote and join notability, which many of my friende use. All it would take is an icon, evernote team. You are losing members for a very unnecessary reason. I am curious, too -- which note service are others of you defecting -- or thinking of defecting to?

Glad to hear someone else chime in -- lack of this obvious feature is a total head-scratcher and truly annoying. . Notes are added to at the end, not the beginning, 9 times out of ten

Glad to hear someone else chime in -- lack of this obvious feature is a total head-scratcher and truly annoying. . Notes are more often than not linear -- I should be able to open a note and start typing from the end, not have to hang on to the thought and scroll (and scroll).

I would have to say that I absolutely loathe the fact that I cannot easily go the end of a note. Nine times out of ten, that is where I need to go, I am about ready to abandon evernote and join notability, which many of my friende use. All it would take is an icon, evernote team. You are losing members for a very unnecessary reason. I am curious, too -- which note service are others of you defecting -- or thinking of defecting to?

I've switched to Colornote (because of this very flaw in Evernote on my android).

Also I now use Jefit for logging my workouts.

Archived