REQUEST: Premium membership for couples

Hello all.

I am using Evernote with my wife and we are very happy with it. We have some notes related only to each of us - for instance, I have some about bicycle mechanics, she has notes about gardening - and some shared notes- shopping lists, and the like.

Very typical scenario I guess.

Now, the point is, that we share the very same account, and this is not ideal. We would prefer if the "private" notes were not available to the other. She couldn't care any less about pedals and cranks; while I would be happier to manage my evernote with no stuff about plants in the way; to continue with the example (which is real, though not the only case). Creating TWO premium accounts would be the solution, but it's a bit out of our budget. But maybe something nice could be done.

Here is my suggestion:

Create a plan for couples. With it, the pair would be limited to share editable notes only with the other member. It will be limited, then, compared to the full premium membership. I would not have the chance to share my stuff by making editable by everybody that way - I would need a full premium for that - but only to my beloved.

The "couple plan" could also eventually share the upload rate (500 MB each user, for instance) and some other limitations like that.

I guess that my wife and I are not the only couple using Evernote this way - a single account - because buying TWO premium accounts would be too much. Maybe this idea could be effective for both this kind of users AND Evernote :)

Please let me know if you like the idea. Thanks!

• Level 5*

Every time you add a new variation on billing you make it more complex to manage. Make it more complex to manage and you make it more expensive.

Well, in this case, the issue would be the sharing capability. The billing options aren't actually as huge of a deal as being able to say "i designate this username and this username only as a person who is able to be shared with."

And then on top of that, adding in the concept of "blocked" notebooks.So, there would be some major code changes needed in a few different areas to put this in, and to make work against all of our platforms, therefore would take a bit of time to get done, but it's an idea that is worth internal discussion.

• Level 5*

Nice idea, but the details get messy. I wouldn't want an account to share with my wife - she uses me as librarian anyway. I would want to share with x2 sons and x1 grandson though..

Yeah, that's what I meant gaz.

So far my wife and I ARE sharing a single account, because buying two premium memberships would be too much, AND we need to share stuff each other (read, a single premium account for one of us wouldn't do). This is not ideal, that's why I suggested to consider that. A couple membership, so that each member of the couple can get her/his private stuff AND share it editable with the other member, while not paying overall as much as two premium account, eventually having other limits (like upload rate and the like). Cheers

• Level 5*

If you want the ability to have truly private stuff (where there's stuff of yours that she can't see and vice-versa), then that's two accounts. To achieve separation, you could just use stacks. "His" and "Hers", I would think. Everything is viewable/editable by the other, but fairly easily isolated. So on the one hand, there's "ideal, but unlikely to be implemented very soon", and on the other hand, there's "reasonably feasible, and available today"...

The other part of this topic is "why two"? In other words, why is a couple any more special and deserving of these new facilities than, say, a small team (or family) of 3 or 4 or 5?

Now, the point is, that we share the very same account, and this is not ideal. We would prefer if the "private" notes were not available to the other. She couldn't care any less about pedals and cranks; while I would be happier to manage my evernote with no stuff about plants in the way; to continue with the example (which is real, though not the only case).

If the issue is just convenience/order, and not sensitive information, all you need to do is tag all your personal notes with a tag, and your wife do the same. Then when you're searching you add "-tag:[wife's notes]" and you'll see only your notes and the notes you two share with each other.

I've been considering getting one premium membership, and keeping the shared notebooks in the premium account.

Then, I can share stuff with others and keep other stuff private. And so can the other user(s).

Wouldn't that allow the non-premium member to edit stuff in our shared notebook?

• 2 years later...

Archived