(Archived) HELP: PDF notes make Evernote freeze

Caspar Noetzli

Idea

Whenever I open a note in Evernote for Mac (Lion) that contains a PDF Evernote "freezes". The content of the PDF is displayed correctly in the main frame of Evernote. But it stays there "forever" and I cannot open any other note.

After restarting Evernote everything works fine until I (or the search function) click on (finds) another note with a PDF.

Very annoying.

Thank you for your help

Caspar

14 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Whenever I open a note in Evernote for Mac (Lion) that contains a PDF Evernote "freezes". The content of the PDF is displayed correctly in the main frame of Evernote. But it stays there "forever" and I cannot open any other note.

After restarting Evernote everything works fine until I (or the search function) click on (finds) another note with a PDF.

Very annoying.

Thank you for your help

Caspar

Hello. Welcome to the forums. Could you tell us what Mac, operating system, and Evernote version you are using? One thing that I have found helpful is to go into my Preferences and under Clipping set new PDFs to display as attachments (icons). You can change this setting for small, one or two page PDFs (right click on the PDF), but for the rest, you might as well leave them closed (I have PDFs with several hundred pages in them).

I've got exactly the same problems. I'm somehow glad I'm not alone but I guess it isn't that wide spread. The problem exists actually since more than a year but more recent versions of Evernote seem to make it worse. Instead of 2-3 notes containing pdf notes mine freezes now after just clicking 1 note containing a pdf. I've contacted Evernote support and they suggest of course the installation of a new beta, removing the application support folder/Evernote folder to re-download and re-index all the notes. I've even re-installed my whole Mac Operating system. NO SUCCESS...

I've got a Macbook 5,1 with 8GB of RAM and Lion 10.7.4 running. All software is up to date. I've got no clue what is going on but if Evernote support helps me somehow, I'll post it here as well. If there any suggestions, please comment. I've also used AppCleaner to remove any Evernote plist files or settings to have a true clean install of Evernote. NO SUCCESS... My money is on some XCODE function using the build in pdf viewer and that thing somehow crashes. Maybe it only creates that error with MacBooks using the NVIDIA 9400 graphics card. Not sure, because that would probably effect more people. This is really strange and super annoying/frustrating...

I'm sorry to hear about your crashes. I would highly recommend updating to the latest version. If that doesn't help, submit a support ticket with crash logs.

Hey Jackolicious, thanks for your reply. As I've written before, I'm on the latest version of Evernote, even tried out the latest beta but there is no change regarding the problem. I've submitted a support ticket and I'm already getting replies but it still is the standard run of the mill "re-install Evernote, delete the Application Support/Evernote folder, etc." troubleshoot stuff.

Anyways, it doesn't seem too widespread of a problem since I'm fighting with same issue since December 2010... I've always hoped with a new version of Evernote for Mac the issue would be resolved but so far no luck... :(

Keep your fingers crossed that the tech team will have an epiphany and I can finally work with Evernote hassle free again...

I experience the same problem and I am also on a Mac. Needless to say that it is very annoying. I filed a support ticket with logs. I went through the standard run of the mill stuff - delete the applications, remove the content, reboot, reinstall - including a pre-release version. Did not solve the problem.

The conclusion of this process was very disappointing: I was told an internal bug report was filed, that the bug would be classified and fixed in the order determined by the project lead. Furthermore, I should not expect any information if and when the bug is fixed !

I like evernote but this bug makes it useless on my desktop.

I have experience the same problem and I am also on a Mac. Needless to say that it is very annoying. If filed a support ticket with logs. I went through the standard run of the mill stuff - delete the applications, remove the content, reboot, reinstall - including a pre-release version. Did not solve the problem.

The conclusion of this process was very disappointing: I was told an internal bug report was filed, that the bug would be classified and fixed in the order determined by the project lead. Furthermore, I should not expect any information if and when the bug is fixed !

I like evernote but this bug makes it useless on my desktop.

AndreZ, that is exactly the identical scenario I've experienced. I've offered any kind of support in order to get this fixed and in return nothing happened.

Since we are obviously not the only ones experiencing these problems, I can't believe that Evernote Support just leaves it at that. No update, no follow up, nothing...

I'm super disappointed. I'm also using Evernote on my iPad and the latest two version are also FULL of bugs and crashes constantly. I'm really worried about quality control of their software.

I'm rely using Evernote for work as well and it just brakes my heart how buggy it became....

I've got little hope that they'll fix it. Btw, I even went through a whole new system install to check if there was any corrupt settings file or something and Evernote still exhibits the same screwed up phenotype. It hangs permanently on notes containing pdfs... :wacko:

Jackolicious:

I can reliably reproduce the bug. I only need to go through notes on which there are pdf files. As long as I keep viewing notes with PDF files, everything is fine. When i switched to a note without a pdf file, the preview pane freezes and stay frozen no matter what I do. I can still change notebooks and view the icons of the notes. However, the preview pane does not update. If I minimize evernote using the red button and reopen it, evernote says that all my notebooks are empty. I quit evernote and restart it and everything is fine. Conclusion: as long as I stay away from my notes that contain pdf files, everything is fine. Obviously, this considerably reduces the value of evernote.

By the way, the pdf files are small ( under 1 MB).

Hope you can contribute to make this case progress within your company. FYI my ticket number was #16051-147064

André

Good news :wacko: , the same issue still exists while using Mountain Lion. I've used screen recording to illustrate the issue which by the way I've shared also with the Evernote support group. For your interest, I've uploaded it to my dropbox account and here is the link to it - apologies for the mediocre quality but somehow dropbox does reduce the quality of the video... :(

https://www.dropbox.com/s/npia96zkmke98b0/Evernote%20Viewer%20Pane%20freezing%20-%20Screen%20Recording.mp4

As you can see, I can click on a bunch of notes and once I've click on a note containing a pdf, it freezes on this note :angry: . I then opened the activity log and I can see error messages. I can click on other notes but they wont show in the viewing pane. The activity log details which note I'm trying to open but it throws an error. All this information has been submitted several times to the support group but I'm really getting sick of the lack of support. Not to get too much off topic but if anyone of you tried out the new Skitch version 2.0 on either Mac or iOS (iPad or iPhone) will quickly realize that quality control is really not up to par lately. It's really sad since Evernote is so unique and a fantastic approach for getting your thoughts and documents organized but if you can't rely on it, it just a toy... <_<

Archived