(Archived) HOWTO: Insert URLs in notes as plain text?

mkraft77

Idea

9 replies to this idea

If what I was referring to wasn't clear, I'd like to be able to insert URL's in notes without their being active links ("hot links").

'Simplify formatting' is the only likely candidate I see here, and it doesn't remove the hot-linking.

Is there anything else here that will strip a URL down to 'plain text'?

Thanks.

• Level 5

Not a pretty solution, but if there was some reason I would want to remove the hot-link in a URL, I would...

1.) cut it out of Evernote

2.) paste into Windows Notepad

3.) then copy back to Evernote.
  • Level 5*

Sometimes long links (?) don't get hyperlinked, but it seems to be hit or miss. On the Mac, if I remember correctly, simplifying the formatting will get rid of the hyperlinking, and I think you can also right-click and select from the menu to get rid of it (edit to remove link?), but it might get hyperlinked again in the future, as Heather said.

• Level 5

Not a pretty solution, but if there was some reason I would want to remove the hot-link in a URL, I would...

My steps seem to work OK in Windows client. I used the following term: test www.evernote.com test (with hot-link URL)

After going through the Notepad route, and pasting back in (as text only), I hit F9 to sync.

It did not affect the URL. It remained text only.

Can't confirm if Mac will be different.

• Level 5*

My steps seem to work OK in Windows client. I used the following term: test www.evernote.com test (with hot-link URL)

After going through the Notepad route, and pasting back in (as text only), I hit F9 to sync.

It did not affect the URL. It remained text only.

Can't confirm if Mac will be different.

formatmatch will do the same onthe mac. the problem (as i recall) is that they get hyperlinked later. also, ios is hyperlinky about everything, so i doubt it would last there long without turning blue.

Sometimes long links (?) don't get hyperlinked, but it seems to be hit or miss. On the Mac, if I remember correctly, simplifying the formatting will get rid of the hyperlinking, and I think you can also right-click and select from the menu to get rid of it (edit to remove link?), but it might get hyperlinked again in the future, as Heather said.

Thanks for those replies. Right-clicking on the URL (i.e., Rt.-click > Link > Remove) seems to work as a 'get rid of' solution.

(Re: what Heather wrote, waiting to see whether it 'goes blue' again, after syncing).

But presumably there's no setting (or other way) to just enter URL's in notes as 'plain text.'

I'm on Lion and just updated the OSX client and was surprised to see that links I paste into a new document now show up as text instead of being hyperlinks.

I think I want a URL to be normal text maybe one time out of a hundred. It would be nice if auto link formatting was a feature that could be turned on and off. Google Notebook had this right in my mind. When you paste a link, it's a link. You could select the text and hit the 'remove formatting' button to strip it's meta behavior.

Archived