(Archived) S1500 > scan > OCR > local save > EN

I want to scan, then save my OCR'd document locally and push to Evernote. I can do all of this but have one problem, the wait for the OCR to take place before I can scan my next document. If I skip the local OCR processing I can scan immediately, but I want the local OCR copy.

To give more context, my use is scanning post and the scanner is remote from the PC (the screen is 20ft away) so my ideal is to open the scanner, drop in the document, hit the scan button and repeat. Not able to see the screen I don't know when the OCR has completed, and most importantly I don't won't to wait.

Am I missing a method where I can just keep scanning, the OCR'ing gets queued as the onward local save and upload to Evernote?

My scanner is the Fujitsu S1500, I appreciate this is a wider question than just EN, but hope the knowledgeable community here may have good advice :-).

• Level 5*

Hi and welcome to the Forums. I have an S1500 and do exactly what you propose - there's a simple adjustment; just switch off the automatic OCR via ScanSnap Manager - go to Scan Button Settings / File Option and UNtick "convert to searchable PDF". You can now scan as many individual documents/ pages as you like with a minimum gap between scans. Once you've completed a batch of scanning, OCR the whole folder via your PDF software and re-save the files as searchable. Essentially you've moved all the annoying short waits between files to a quite annoying longish wait at the end of your session.. but it speeds up scanning. Do save your scans to a non-Import folder to begin with - move the converted batch to the Import Folder at the end.

I forgot to add I might be away from home. However @gazumped your solution can work for me, When away i will use a remote connect software to access the pc.

While the solution is not as fully automated/scripted as I would like, it does have the WAF (wife acceptabliity factor) and the added bonus of allowing me time to name the files, and file in my chosen folder structure on the pc... Two jobs that would otherwise never get done.

OCR'ing is always going to be slow(er) - gazumped hit the only practicable solution to speed up scanning, i.e. moving the process of OCR out of the document acquisition loop. The total elapsed time isn't going to change a lot. The only caveat I would add here just now would be to make sure the de-skewing is working, becouse OCR tends to get fairly stupid if the text isn't nicely (read: tolerably) lined up. I did an app a couple of years ago that scans using a bigger/better/faster family of Fujitsu scanners, lets the user select the name, storage folder (list), file format (PDF, TIF, jpeg, etc) and target recipient (file copy, email, FTP, Joomla website) and then hands it off (pipes it) to whatever process is chosen, and waits for the next scan... they thought they wanted the PDF's searchable, but discovered they couldn't control what users were "allowed" to search for and decided not to do that.

Specifically for the s1500 i have figured I can scan and queue OCR by using the scansnap software to send the scans to fine reader, which output to a folder watched by EN. This solves my challenge of waiting between scans and OCR is not manual later.

@longtex I take your point that this may run in to challenges re deskewing, I've not experienced such an issue yet, but I am new to scanning so much. Wish I shared your programming skills :-)

• 2 months later...

Hi Razor,

I just bought the scansnap 1500 and have recently began using evernote. I would love a more detailed account of exactly how you do this:

"Specifically for the s1500 i have figured I can scan and queue OCR by using the scansnap software to send the scans to fine reader, which output to a folder watched by EN. This solves my challenge of waiting between scans and OCR is not manual later."

I do not have finereader. I see it in the app store for $99. Is it worth it to you? I have decided to go paperless and have not started yet. Over the next 6 months I have a couple thousand papers to go through whenever i get time. But am looking for the easiest solution first.

Thanks,

Scott

• Level 5*

Hi Scott, welcome to the Forums. Your ScanSnap should have come bundled with OCR software - check out the accompanying paperwork and packaging. It does come bundled with ScanSnap Manager software, which you should install. SS Manager allows you to choose 'scan to folder' or 'scan to evernote' amongst other options. My personal workflow involves scanning to folder, then using Adobe (which was 'free' with my scanner) to batch OCR the folder. Then I move the folder contents (which I may have renamed on the way) to my Evernote Import Folder which sucks them into the database. Sounds a little complicated, but works pretty seamlessly once you get started.

If you don't have the bundled software for any reason, then search the net for PDF / OCR software - there will be some trial versions out there so you can check out what's available before actually buying. There is freeware around, but I have no idea how effective that is.

Evernote of course have a built-in OCR for standard size PDFs, but having your own searchable file is (for me) much more convenient than having Evernote index the content.

Archived