(Archived) REQUEST: Improved sharing w/sponsored groups

As an organization, we are somewhat frustrated with the way sharing between our sponsored group members works. It is simply so much harder than it needs to be for us as group. I've made some suggestions/comments about the Shared tab vs. Account in another thread, but I'm speaking of the way in which a user handles sharing. What do we find frustrating and hope improves?

• Share with individuals streamlined. In addition to typing email addresses, we should have checkboxes for sponsored group members. Why do we all need to remember the other members email addresses when this information is known by Evernote?
  • Skip the email step. We feel we shouldn't have to confirm our notebook changes via the web UI before the notebooks appear in our desktop or mobile apps. I understand that maybe for some there might be bandwidth/data issues, but it seems as though an in-app notification dialog and confirmation would be preferable. It is far to easy to miss an email.
  • Modify permissions. We should be able to modify permissions access to a notebook. Currently you need to delete the user and then re-add. This can actually cause errors in the end user sync process
  • Respect default sync times. New shared notebooks do not respect the sync time that users set in prefs.
  • Shared "stacks" (or whatever you want to call it). This would help with organization tremendously. Oftentimes, you'll want to share several notebooks with the same users....as a way of separating data instead of keeping it all in one notebook. So if there was a hierarchy where we could add notebooks under another notebook (or folder), you could have the same permissions applied automagically.

As always...thanks for listening....

• Level 5*

As an organization, we are somewhat frustrated with the way sharing between our sponsored group members works. It is simply so much harder than it needs to be for us as group. I've made some suggestions/comments about the Shared tab vs. Account in another thread, but I'm speaking of the way in which a user handles sharing. What do we find frustrating and hope improves?

• Share with individuals streamlined. In addition to typing email addresses, we should have checkboxes for sponsored group members. Why do we all need to remember the other members email addresses when this information is known by Evernote?
  • Skip the email step. We feel we shouldn't have to confirm our notebook changes via the web UI before the notebooks appear in our desktop or mobile apps. I understand that maybe for some there might be bandwidth/data issues, but it seems as though an in-app notification dialog and confirmation would be preferable. It is far to easy to miss an email.
  • Modify permissions. We should be able to modify permissions access to a notebook. Currently you need to delete the user and then re-add. This can actually cause errors in the end user sync process
  • Respect default sync times. New shared notebooks do not respect the sync time that users set in prefs.
  • Shared "stacks" (or whatever you want to call it). This would help with organization tremendously. Oftentimes, you'll want to share several notebooks with the same users....as a way of separating data instead of keeping it all in one notebook. So if there was a hierarchy where we could add notebooks under another notebook (or folder), you could have the same permissions applied automagically.

As always...thanks for listening....

i think you can expect to see notifications about shared notebook changes soon, so hopefully that will address your second point. the rest of them all sound great, and i would love to see these changes as well.

i think you can expect to see notifications about shared notebook changes soon, so hopefully that will address your second point. the rest of them all sound great, and i would love to see these changes as well.

Yep. It is already here in the latest Evernote for Windows beta (4.5.7.*). It is even called "Notifications".

• 9 months later...

I like the ideas above, but the biggest problem is that Evernote has killed off sponsored groups. When I tried to set up Evernote for my family of four, they told me that sponsored groups have been replaced by Evernote Business.

I don't know about you, but my family does not need $40/month worth of business accounts.

I also don't need to administer four separate accounts... for my 2 children, my wife and myself. Nor do I want any of us to have to deal with the restrictions of the free plan. My children are homeschooled and will need offline notes. Their iPod Touches and iPads aren't always connected to wifi, I cant rely on a persistent connection for them to complete school work I should have been able to assign through Evernote.

Even if I did set up four separate premium accounts with four separate billing plans, I still can't receive the discount that was available for groups of 3 or more. So now I have to pay $20/month for four people, or $180/year. There is no way my kids are going to use $90 to $120 worth of note organizing every year.

I wish I had opened a sponsored group account in November of 2012, when I first learned about them.

Bring back sponsored groups, Evernote! Please!!

Archived