(Archived) HOWTO: Toggle between different notes with keyboard shortcuts?

For example when you are composing an email to X but want to take a break and want to hop over to your outline about your future plans, then you want to go back to the email X, then to email to Y, then back to future plans, then brainstorming about some projects, is there way to have shortkeys for this so that you don't have to aim click aim click for switching to different notes?

I guess this depends on what client you are using.

There are some methods of moving between notes in the windows client that I know of, not sure about the mac.

So, what client are you using?

Number 1 in this note shows some lesser known keyboard navigation shortcuts in the windows client:

https://www.evernote.com/pub/spgscott/evernote-help#b=ca136823-f4bd-45ef-9b71-4e942a351b16&n=5123c389-648a-4889-8cb5-5e637e21a5c8

• Level 5*

For example when you are composing an email to X but want to take a break and want to hop over to your outline about your future plans, then you want to go back to the email X, then to email to Y, then back to future plans, then brainstorming about some projects, is there way to have shortkeys for this so that you don't have to aim click aim click for switching to different notes?

hi. i think you may want to take a look at this for windows

https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=625

or this for mac

https://support.evernote.com/ics/support/KBAnswer.asp?questionID=587

as an ipad user (primarily), i am hoping for the day when we will have tabs in evernote. their lack is a real workflow problem.

i am hoping for the day when we will have tabs in evernote. their lack is a real workflow problem.

I agree. We should find and inspire someone who would be able and willing to make such a notetaking program (having tabs and easily navigable without leaving the keyboard). Or, since I don't know any programming and it seems to me that Evernote will never implement this, I guess I should start learning programming today and then invent such a program? (Evernote-like, plus having more font choices, font color and background picture choices, together with tabs)

• Level 5*

i am hoping for the day when we will have tabs in evernote. their lack is a real workflow problem.

I agree. We should find and inspire someone who would be able and willing to make such a notetaking program (having tabs and easily navigable without leaving the keyboard). Or, since I don't know any programming and it seems to me that Evernote will never implement this, I guess I should start learning programming today and then invent such a program? (Evernote-like, plus having more font choices, font color and background picture choices, together with tabs)

safari and other browsers have it, so we know tabs are possible. now, we just have to wait for someone like evernote to make them :)

• 3 months later...

I would like to see evernote add it ... although I'd prefer hotkeys to tabs (so, as well as then) for my own workflow.

I believe you can get this functionality with Microsoft onenote but I have been trying to migrate away from MS except on the OS where Windows 8 is rather satisfying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Why would they weigh my comments more heavily than yours?

Anyways is there any other software besides the Microsoft OneNote that has this function?

I think I am considered a "power user," so probably not representative of the "average" or "normal" user. I am not sure I agree. I just have more notes. That's all. I think of myself as two or three regular users rolled into one :)

On the Mac, it's easy to switch (a light four-finger swipe on the trackpad in full-screen mode). On Windows? I don't know. Sorry.

• Level 5*

If you have Lion or Mountain Lion, install the Evernote app on your laptop, open the app, click on the gray arrows in the top right corner of the app window, and you can put the app into full screen mode.

For multiple screens of Evernote, use Option + CMD + N. This will bring up another full screen. Pretty nice, right :)

The only problem is that when you are done, you will have lots of phantom note windows (difficult to explain, but you will see). These are not really notes at all, and you can click them closed, or just quit the app at this point. This is a bug, but is no more than a nuisance, and has been reported to the developers, so hopefully it will be gone on the next update.

• Level 5*

I have a Snow Leopard. Does it not work with it?

I don't know. I have SL on the iMac in my office, but I only just got that computer, and I am still in the midst of an initial sync, so haven't used Evernote there yet. I'll look next time I am in the office. However, if I recall correctly, full screen mode came with Lion, so you will probably need to upgrade in order to take advantage of this functionality.

• 1 year later...

Anyone find a discussion for Mac users trying to keep your hands on the keyboard and work through notes? No way to easily toggle between editing a note (Command+L) for example takes you to the title of a note and you can tab through to edit. All fine and good until you attempt toggle back to your list of notes to edit the next one or view another note.

The only work around I've found is using (option+command+F) to jump to the find window and choosing to redo a search to list notes and then I can arrow up or down to select the list of notes. Or worse having to do (option+command+2) then (option+command+1) to clumsily switch to a list of notebooks then back to all notes.

Anyway the result is constantly having to reach for a mouse in most cases breaking my work flow. Any solutions?

• Level 5*

The Evernote for Windows client has the very handy Alt+LeftArrow and Alt+RightArrow note navigation shortcuts; navigate backward and forwards in your note history (similar to what Chrome does in a browser tab). Does the Mac not have these shortcuts?

Archived