(Archived) REQUEST: Calendar view, better export options

I have been using Evernote for several years on a regular basis. Until recently it mainly gathered my occasional notes, like software licences or WiFi/FTP/websites credentials. I recently read that great men are maintaining a journal so I naturally chose Evernote to create one myself :)

Now after a deep comparaison of several other solutions (Mac Journal, Day One, blog services…) I have couple of suggestions :

- Calendar view. I believe it would be great to have a calendar view of all the notes taken in a particular notebook. What was I doing precisely a year ago ? That question cannot really or easily be answered right now with Evernote. I guess a calendar view would also be convenient for people using Evernote for task lists.

- Better Export options. As a personal web designer, I love beautiful very customized websites. Evernote lets me export notes in HTML. If I select say 5 notes it creates a folder titled "My Notes" and generate an index.html file containing links to each note in their own .htm pages. However :

> There are no DIV with predefined ID or classes which would allow me to create a custom style sheet. I would suggest to add a style.css file and link to it in each note by default. That should be a very minor task to make this by default. It would enable us to simply customize it. Notes would be created in Evernote but be browseable in a custom website.

> No date of creation are specified for exported notes.

> If I choose to export again some notes it will either override the folder "My Notes" or create a new one. I wish it would update the index.html file listing newly exported entries and place the respective .htm files in the same folder.

I've started using EN as my Journal recently, too. In fact, I'm slowly starting to use EN for everything!

I got this tip from someone else on the forum. My apologies, I can't remember who it was, but thanks for a great tip.

Create a 7xN (where N is the number of weeks in the month) grid in a new note called, for example, "May 2012 Summary". Then open that new note in it's own window.

I've got each day added as a new note, so I can now just drag and drop them from my Diary notebook into the "Calendar" view as links, as follows:

encal.png

Works a treat :)

Thanks for your reply. I have tried it but it does not seems very convenient to me. I simply tagged my notes with the month and the year (eg May 2012). If a calendar ever comes out i'll simply have to delete those tags

• Level 5*
Calendar view. I believe it would be great to have a calendar view of all the notes taken in a particular notebook. What was I doing precisely a year ago ? That question cannot really or easily be answered right now with Evernote. I guess a calendar view would also be convenient for people using Evernote for task lists.

You can do something of the sort with searches, e.g. a search of created:month-12 -created:month-11 will give you notes created between 5/1/2011 and 6/1/2011 (based on today's date of 5/21/12). I recognize that this is not particularly convenient, nor visual. Your way of tagging with month and year works too.

Better Export options. As a personal web designer, I love beautiful very customized websites. Evernote lets me export notes in HTML. If I select say 5 notes it creates a folder titled "My Notes" and generate an index.html file containing links to each note in their own .htm pages. However :

> There are no DIV with predefined ID or classes which would allow me to create a custom style sheet. I would suggest to add a style.css file and link to it in each note by default. That should be a very minor task to make this by default. It would enable us to simply customize it. Notes would be created in Evernote but be browseable in a custom website.

You should probably check out the ENML page in the Developers documentation here: http://dev.evernote....apters/ENML.php. Basically, as I read it, all style information must be inline, i.e., no external CSS, and no 'class' or 'id' attributes are allowed. They'd need to parse out all of the inline style info from the note, and replace each chunk of style info with an associated 'class' or 'id' attribute (with artificially generated names, which would then be stored into the generated CSS file) to accommodate this request. I don't know how minor a task that would be (i.e. on a scale of "hello, world" to rocket science)...

• Level 5

Or you could search for absolute dates using the following formats. Additional search terms can be added to narrow the results.

Created in year 2012

created:20120101 -created:20130101

Created during months of 2012 (remove month before searching)

created:20120101 -created:20120201 (Jan)

created:20120201 -created:20120301 (Feb)

created:20120301 -created:20120401 (Mar)

created:20120401 -created:20120501 (Apr)

created:20120501 -created:20120601 (May)

created:20120601 -created:20120701 (Jun)

created:20120701 -created:20120801 (Jul)

created:20120801 -created:20120901 (Aug)

created:20120901 -created:20121001 (Sep)

created:20121001 -created:20121101 (Oct)

created:20121101 -created:20121001 (Nov)

created:20121201 -created:20130101 (Dec)

Why would I want a search for stuff in the future?

I use the created date for future appointments, tasks, and reminders.

Tedious - yes!

• Level 5

I tried TuskTools Calendar, but the operation appears to be a one man shop and it is quite difficult to get answers regarding the beta product.

Thanks for your replies. I like the saved search query method. I have nt used TuskTools Calendar. I'm on OS X, iOS & PlayBook.

@jefito : I need to have a look at this ENML specs indeed. Thanks for the link.

BTW has anyone tried MasterNote ? is it good ?

Archived