Why doesn't deleted note show up in trash?

idoc

Today I lost my most critical note on Evernote. I use this note many times a day and I'm sure that it was lost sometime this afternoon. Strangely enough, it's nowhere to be found in my trash either. Fortunately, its still on my android evernote but I ran into a lot of difficulties in getting it via sending/sharing. The problem, is that the note could not be emailed, shared, sent etc. I tried sharing it with dropbox, my email address, facebook or any other way of getting it out of my android and back to my desktop...all of those attempt failed ("note could not be share", "email failed" etc). Since I have no problem sharing or emailing other notes I assume that this may have something to do with the fact that the note was initially encrypted. I have no problem unencrypting it on the android and reading it but there's no way of sharing or emailing it. Finally, I was able to simply copy and paste the text into a Yahoo email and send it to myself in a very jumbled format.

I gave some thought of trying to extract this note out of my backups (which are done daily) but the process is more cumbersome than it's worth. I can reconstitute this note from the email that I sent myself but I'm still somewhat confused by why it's not in my trash and why I had so many problems sending/sharing this note.

Thanks Owyn,

I've reconstituted the note at this point and EN has synched, so I'm not sure I'll be able to find out what happened. However, it has made me more interested in how Trash works. Theoretically, any deleted note should wind up in Trash and this should be the first line of defense in retrieving an inadvertantly deleted note. One possibility here is that whereas I lost my note at my work computer, I was checking the Trash at my home computer. I assumed that the Trash would have synched when I synched my work computer on exit. Does the Trash synch along with the other notebooks? Also, the other issue that I'm now much more aware of is the difficulty of sharing/emailing encrypted notes from an android phone.

Notes that have been removed from synchronized notebooks should be visible in the Trash of all synced devices.

Notes that are deleted from Trash will be permanently deleted from all synced devices and will specifically not be recoverable via note history.

Notes that are removed from local unsychronized notebooks in a desktop client will only be visible in the Trash for that client.

Warning. Deleting a notebook causes permanent deletion of any notes in that notebook.

Notes that have been removed from synchronized notebooks should be visible in the Trash of all synced devices.\

Per EN support & IIRC from a post by Dave Engberg:

"Trash gets sync'd unless you never sync'd the note to begin with."

IOW (I think), if you were creating the note on a work computer & deleted it before it (the note) was sync'd, I think that note will only exist in trash on the work computer.

Notes that have been removed from synchronized notebooks should be visible in the Trash of all synced devices.\

IOW (I think), if you were creating the note on a work computer & deleted it before it (the note) was sync'd, I think that note will only exist in trash on the work computer.

The problem is that when I left work I closed down Evernote and shut down my computer. THerefore, as per my preferences (synch on exit) I would have assumed that Evernote synched. And when it synched, it should have synched any inadvertantly deleted note via the Trash system. Yet this note (actually a "Master note") was nowhere to be found. I am indeed fortunate that I had an unsynched copy of it on my Android phone and used that as a second line of defense.

The problem is that when I left work I closed down Evernote and shut down my computer. THerefore, as per my preferences (synch on exit) I would have assumed that Evernote synched. And when it synched, it should have synched any inadvertantly deleted note via the Trash system.

Although it doesn't sound like this is the case with this particular note...

So no, if you created a note at work & deleted it before syncing, when EN next syncs, the note will NOT be sync'd to the EN servers & therefore none of your other computers/devices. It will only remain in the trash at work.

The problem is that when I left work I closed down Evernote and shut down my computer. THerefore, as per my preferences (synch on exit) I would have assumed that Evernote synched. And when it synched, it should have synched any inadvertantly deleted note via the Trash system.

Although it doesn't sound like this is the case with this particular note...

So no, if you created a note at work & deleted it before syncing, when EN next syncs, the note will NOT be sync'd to the EN servers & therefore none of your other computers/devices. It will only remain in the trash at work.

But the note had been synced before, since it was on idoc's phone. He also said he didn't create the note today:

Today I lost my most critical note on Evernote. I use this note many times a day

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I don't have the answer because I have a similar issue. Somehow I lost a note and it wasn't in the trash at the web client. My question is, since it is so easy to hit the trash icon on the iPad ( which maybe I did what else could it be?), is there an undo? It all happened ridiculously fast. Although I signed up for premium, they didn't really get the problem. All I was left with is the note title. Will look into backups but I wish I knew what happened. Now I am unsure if evernote is reliable. Any guesses and ways to avoid future occurrence very welcome. -Newbie

Hi, I don't have the answer because I have a similar issue. Somehow I lost a note and it wasn't in the trash at the web client. My question is, since it is so easy to hit the trash icon on the iPad ( which maybe I did what else could it be?), is there an undo? It all happened ridiculously fast. Although I signed up for premium, they didn't really get the problem. All I was left with is the note title. Will look into backups but I wish I knew what happened. Now I am unsure if evernote is reliable. Any guesses and ways to avoid future occurrence very welcome. -Newbie

Connie,

Do not despair. EN is a very fine program but you should have some contingencies for rare situations such as these. In the last year I've only lost 2-3 notes. However, if you make a point of saving the enex files or using "File...save attachments" (as has been described elsewhere) you will be up and running in minutes even if you lose a note or a file.

• 1 year later...

I was updating a shared note when I suddenly lost it. I looked for it in the Trash (I haven't emptied the trash folder) and is not there. I tried searching by name, by keywords, by "date updated" and by "date created". But I didn't find it. I didn't find a new note with the old's note content either. I don't know what else to do :(

• Level 5*

I was updating a shared note when I suddenly lost it. I looked for it in the Trash (I haven't emptied the trash folder) and is not there. I tried searching by name, by keywords, by "date updated" and by "date created". But I didn't find it. I didn't find a new note with the old's note content either. I don't know what else to do :(

This is the third topic you've asked the exact same question in. Please stick to one topic. Thank you.

maybe because I'm desperate to find it and I've been trying to find a solution in the forum. The note just disappeared and is a shared notebook from my job. I hope you can understand. Thank you

We understand. But you should also understand spamming the board with your question is not helpful. Any replies you receive will then be scattered across several threads. Please stick with one thread. Thank you. Additionally, you can always submit a support ticket.

No, you don't understand and you're rude because my intention was never to "Spam" as you call it. Fyi-I did submit a ticket and this was the response: "I know I could never replace the time or effort for troubleshooting this issue, but I would like to try my best to help. I have given you 30 Evernote points that you can use to upgrade your account." . In short, my note is just gone and what I was trying to do in the forum, was to find a helpful answer.

I work in customer service and I like to treat people the way I would like to be treated. I hope you can keep that in mind next time you reply to a post. 

• Level 5*

Looks like support have given you some points so you can upgrade to premium and use note history to get a recent version of your note back, so it's probably not "gone".

It's good forum practice and behaviour not to post the same things lots of times. Whatever your intention in doing so, it ends up looking bad.

• Level 5*

maybe because I'm desperate to find it and I've been trying to find a solution in the forum. The note just disappeared and is a shared notebook from my job. I hope you can understand. Thank you

This is really just a practical forum matter. If you ask the same thing in three separate topics, then if someone has an answer, do they need to post it in all three places? They may not even know about any duplicated requests. Or if someone answers in one place, but you miss it, and never get the suggestion. Ditto for someone else who has the same problem and runs across one of the duplicate, but unanswered questions. As I say, it's a practical matter, hence the request. All of that said, I do understand your frustration at having lost data, and hope that it gets resolved successfully.
  • 1 year later...

I am having this exact same problem except the note was created on my android tablet. I was unable to sync the note and ended up deleting it later. After I logged in on my computer and my iPod I was unable to locate the note in the trash folder. I am aware that there is not trash folder for android devices so I have no clue on how to retrieve the file from my tablet. I have already went through the folder from Evernote on my tablet and it isn't in there either. I also have opened a support ticket, but I haven't gotten a reply in a few days now. Any advice and help would be appreciated, thank you. 

Archived