(Archived) QUESTION: Is the extra software bundle for the Fujitsu S1500 Scanner worth it?

I'm leaning toward buying a Fujitsu S1500 scanner.

Amazon has two versions:

1) Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Instant PDF Sheet Fed Scanner for PC

http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Instant-Sheet-Fed-Scanner/dp/B001V9LQH0/ref=sr_1_8?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1337263676&sr=1-8

$414.49

2) Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 Deluxe Bundle Sheet-Fed Scanner

http://www.amazon.com/Fujitsu-ScanSnap-Deluxe-Sheet-Fed-Scanner/dp/B0021AERWY/ref=sr_1_7?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1337263676&sr=1-7

$449.99

#2 comes with extra software for organizing documents. Is there any value to this extra software if I am going to store my documents in Evernote?

Thanks.

#2 comes with extra software for organizing documents. Is there any value to this extra software if I am going to store my documents in Evernote?

I guess it depends. In my case, I keep copies of all important things on my hard drive as a CYA thing. I have an S1500 (it's awesome!) but didn't install the Fujitsu organizing software. (Or if it's installed, I've not used it.) For organizing my docs on my hard drive, I use Paperport, mainly b/c that's what I started with when I first started on the path to paperlessness five years ago. Most things also go into Evernote as well. But I probably use EN more often when retrieving a document. It's just easier. :)

Great scanner. You won't be disapointed. IIRC I bought the software because ABBYY Finereader integrates with the app to allow OCR. You can always have EN do the OCR for you, but OCR'ing the document when it's scanned has worked better for me. I don't remember if ABBYY is a separate installation or if it's embedded, either way the OCR options are integrated into the app. I think, but can't be sure, that ABBYY is needed if you want to use the scan to word or scan to excel options as

. I don't use the other bundled software.

BurgersNFried, nova 47 Thanks for your suggestions and input. I now have purchased my scanner w/o the extra software and have spent several hours fiddling with it. For someone using Evernote to store documents, I see no need to buy the extra software.

Archived