(Archived) Evernote for Android 4.0 is now live on Google Play

Xavier_

Hi All,

The new update of Evernote for Android, version 4.0 is now available on the store.

Thanks to all the beta testers who helped us find a lot of issues and polish the user experience.

For more details:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.evernote

Please post here any feedback / issues you may have with this update. We still have some bug fixing to do, but hopefully nothing too severe. Please send us your logs, and possibly screenshots for UI issues. We will need it to fix most of the problems.

Enjoy this new release!

Thanks again.

Yes pinch zoom doesn't work anymore although most of my text is wrapped. Some tables aren't resized down to the screen size and I have great difficulty dragging round to see the entire table. The text is big and so I see much less infomation on the screen. This is so frustrating without the zoom.

It is so much harder to view my notes now.

I love the new front end but viewing actual note information is much worse now.

Getting out of the app requires 2 back buttons now instead of one, from what I recall.

If I have a shortcut in my Android home screen that leads to a list of notes with a certain tag, viewing is no problem, but exiting requires 2 presses of the back button. Didn't it only require 1 in the past. Hope this gets fixed.

I've had a quick look through and there's a couple of things that immediately jump out at me:

1. For the life of me I cannot find options for premium offline notebooks. I'm quite certain it used to be an option in main settings, but I've gone through each screen there and can't see it. This is a little unfortunate as I was meaning to set one of my notebooks up for offline use before I go abroad.
  2. The hardware menu button no longer functions at all (I think). I've checked it pretty much everywhere in the app and it does nothing. Obviously for devices without a dedicated menu button this isn't an issue, but it should still get a response for those phones that do still have dedicated menu buttons.
  3. Long press actions only work on individual notes, not notebooks or tags. Feels like there should be some options on long-pressing a notebook (move, make available offline, rename).

Overall I think the new look is great, it fits much better with the overall Android design pattern, just it needs a few tweaks.

On the positive side I do find the new look a great improvement - quite something when the previous version was pretty fine already!

I especially appreciate the cleaner, easier-to-read format for notes, etc. It looks great on my phone.

Hopefully version 5 will do a similar job for Android tablets.

My quick feedback:

1. Overall - much nicer look than previous interface, however more difficult to use.

2. Notebook list scroll is laggy - veeery annoying. However, note list scroll works without glitches, even with snippets.

3. Too much space between notebook names in notebook list - too little notebooks listed on one screen - I need to make more scrolling. In addition to point 2 above - very inconvenient.

4. Offline notebooks list missing from the menu - there is option offline/online for each and every notebook, but you need to do it one by one to check which is offline and which not - cumbersome. I belive in previous version there was also an icon in notebook list showing which are offline.

5. No pinch zoom! In addition to new swipe functionality it is veeeery difficult to view notes that are wider than a screen - I have no idea how to navigate these notes. Even if I manage somehow to see what is on the far right side of the note, swiping back to the left side brings me back to main menu. The text of a note gets wrapped with no problems, but tables and pictures that are not getting wrapped (and should not be) are a challenge. In that case even zoom would not help. Can I switch this swipe thing off when viewing notes?? For lists - not that much of a trouble.

I do agree with all the previous complains and will add one more: new version broke integration with Skitch; annotations made on skitch are not saved back to Evernote; it was working perfectly with previous Evernote version.

Thanks all for the feedback.

We will have a look at pinch zoom to see how to fix it or provide a workaround.

We are still working on improving the performance, we'll have a look at the notebook list scrolling.

Offline notebook settings has been moved but it is still acessible: from the home panel, your username, tap setting, tap sync.

Thanks also for the other remarks, we will consider them for the next releases.

I don't know if I am the only one experiencing this but every time I exit the app using the android back button... then I try to launch the app again...it doesn't go to the new Home scree.

Rather it goes to what was previously open, Note/Notebook/Places even I pressed the back button and went through the HOME SCREEN to exit.

Hope what I am mentioning is clear enough. Thanks. Hope it gets resolved with an update and also the double back required to exit from a shortcut launched tag list.

Thanks.

Offline notebook settings has been moved but it is still acessible: from the home panel, your username, tap setting, tap sync.

Hmm, perhaps I'm being blind, but I'm really not seeing it. I tap my user name on the home screen top left, in that menu I have the following: Current Usage, Account Info, Settings, Sign Out. I tap "Settings". This brings up: Account Info, Sync Notes, Search and Storage, Other Options, Support, Legal.

Here's a screen shot when I go into "Sync Notes".

https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2ayt7ae6bl26yp/Screenshot_2012-05-16-16-33-19.png

I'm on Samsung Galaxy S2 ICS with my premium account linked.

Cheers,

Alex

Posted these comments as a separate post before I realized this thread was for feedback on 4. Here is mine:

This is the first version I did not beta test at all, so I am seeing this for the first time. I know the UI is getting a lot of praise, but I am having a hard time liking it. There are three basic things I really dislike:

1. I absolutely hate the little slice of the white page on the right side. This seems visually VERY odd and even a bit disturbing, like there is an error, and the page is stuck in mid-animation. It is not visually cohesive, the two design themes are mixed. And I don't see the utility of this feature, either. I can just as easily press the right button to get to the screen I want. And the sliding function could work without showing a part of the page. With the new Chrome browser you are able to slide left and right between open pages and this works great.

The saving grace is that it will open back to the page you left it on, so I will only have to see the new home page when I want to switch between Notes and Folders/Tags, which raises the next issue:

2. Why can I switch between the Folders and Tags screens with just a tap on top, but not All Notes? And from within All Notes, there is no option to go to a different screen. To switch between All Notes and Folders/Tags, I have to go back to that home page. If there were jumps to all three pages all all three screens, I would never have to go to the home screen at all.

3. There is also a new focus on note TAKING rather than note VIEWING. This is great for many, but since I never create a note by starting in the app itself, this is wasted on me. I understand this is a personal thing.

lesser issues:

I really want to get rid of the haptic feedback on the slide. The first thing I do with any new phone is turn off all the haptic feedback and it is always annoying when apps force it upon me.

Usually, in the new ICS apps, the three dots is where you would find the Settings, not in a pull-down. It took me a bit to find it.

I would need some more info about the following issue. Ideally, the device used, the version of Android, (the version of Skitch), and also a video showing the issue.

- Pinch to zoom / text wrapping broken

- conflict between swiping and scrolling within a note

- integration with skitch is broken

That would be very helpful to fix them shortly.

About the offline notebook selection, we've actually planned to get it back shortly. We had to remove it temporally because of the changes on the notebook list. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Visually it looks nice, but disappointed to see another missed opportunity with regard to the filtering of tags. Rather than another re-jigging of the home screen it would have been nice to see some work done on actual navigation/filtering. With the new version we can swipe between notebooks and tags, but we always see the whole list of notebooks or the whole list of tags. Imagine how much more useful the list would be if after selecting a notebook we got a narrowed down list of tags just relevant to that notebook.

About the offline notebook selection, we've actually planned to get it back shortly. We had to remove it temporally because of the changes on the notebook list. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks xdelplanque, I'd love to see this re-integrated within the next two weeks as I'll be going abroad then and have a couple of notebooks I'd like to make available offline before I leave.

Well first off, I really like the new interface, but here are my issues with the updated version:

- scrolling is a little slow

- the vibration when you swipe to the menu is annoying

- in a notebook: the scroll bar doesn't stay at the same length when you scroll from or to the top

- in a note: the scroll bar disappears behind the bar at the top

- the icons at the bar at the bottom are not divided equally

xdelplanque, I am not able to record a video right now but this issue is quite easy to reproduce in my Samsung Galaxy Y S5360B, runing Android 2.3.6.

• Open Evernote.
  • Open a note with an image in it.
  • Tap the image.
  • Tap the heart icon to send image to Skitch.
  • In Skitch, edit the image in any way.
  • Tap the elephant icon to send image back to Evenote.
  • It just says "Saving" and return to the original image within Evernote note.
  • Updated image is not saved in Evernote

Skitch Version 1.4.36 (97) Revision 231372

Evernote Build 251195 Version 4.0.1 (Public)

I've sent the log file to android-preview@evernote.com.

Regards.

I don't love that the note list appears to the right of Evernote's Home screen... It's distracting and doesn't look great, in my opinion. I wish instead that the Evernote Home screen occupied 100% of the width with the green elephant icon in the top right (or a swipe) to go to the note list.

I am a Premium user and my icon in the top left isn't "shiny", as described in the email announcement. I additionally wish the picture in the top left could be a user-selected avatar (like my avatar on these forums). Is that possible?

Quote: "I don't love that the note list appears to the right of Evernote's Home screen... It's distracting and doesn't look great, in my opinion. I wish instead that the Evernote Home screen occupied 100% of the width with the green elephant icon in the top -right (or a swipe) to go to the note list."

Fully agree!

I don't love that the note list appears to the right of Evernote's Home screen... It's distracting and doesn't look great, in my opinion. I wish instead that the Evernote Home screen occupied 100% of the width with the green elephant icon in the top right (or a swipe) to go to the note list.

I fully agree as well!

Thanks for the feedback. It is unfortunately difficult to please everybody with any UI changes. The reason why we used this "peek" state is because it has become a kind of a standard used by other applications such as facebook and path. It also makes the swipe easy to discover. Now, I understand that it makes the graphic design a bit unbalanced on the home screen.

We'll continue working on finding better solutions which would be both usable and aesthetic.

@Alex Leonard: to set some notebooks as available offline use these following steps:

go to the notebook list screen

You will see that each notebook item has a grey triangle at the bottom right hand corner. Tap it to display more option for this notebook.

Select Enable Offline Sync.

Long tap will enable multi-selection soon, this is the new guideline for ICS. This triangle item indicates that more option are available.

I really like the latest update, but am not keen at all on the new bottom menu which keeps popping up when viewing a note in portrait -- it is both distracting and a waste valuable screen space.

Please allow those of us with normal-sized phones and menu buttons to use the menu button to bring up this bottom menu (we don't all use humongous 5" Galaxy Nexus devices which don't fit into our pockets!)

PS: I don't mind when sometimes this menu appears at the top (happens when in landscape on my Xperia Pro), but surely the correct "action overflow" action to occur when all buttons do not fit (such as when in portrait) on a device with a menu button is to map the overflowing options to a press of the menu button.

Ah, I don't use Facebook or Path! :0) But the Google+ app also has the horizontal swipe between pages and that works out fine. But you are right, you would have to educate about the swipe feature for first time users. Maybe a system where it shows up the first time with a tool tip, then goes away when they click that they got it. Such a beautiful home page, it seems a shame to mess it up. :0)

I don't like the update at all.

Particular irritations are:

• it's now harder to jump from one notebook to another
  • the annoying vibration when you slide to open/close the home page
  • the huge screenspace given over to note creation on the home page that means the note viewing options won't fit on the screen
  • the icons that aren't spaced correctly
  • the hardware menu button doesn't work

How can I get the previous version back?

@thisismyname, we are currently working at making the notebook navigation more compact. Vibration will be deactivated if the phone settings for Haptic Feedback is unchecked. what note viewing option is not available on the homescreen? The hardware menu option won't be supported on new phones, however we are investigating potential solutions to use it on current phones.

@Mary F, you probably have a tablet. The design changes has mainly impacted the phone for the moment.

Every time I exit the app, and then re enter it, it doesn't bring me to the HOME SCREEN. Rather it brings me to the last window that was open?

Is this suppose to happen?

Normal behavior?

If so, why call it a home screen if it won't be the 1st things I see when I open the app?

Thank you.

Just my opinion, but:

Old UI was simpler.

Wish they could make this new version more user friendly, and something that would require less button presses.

I kinda miss the old UI. Hoping for a great update soon.

Great UI With the new update, but scowling is no longer possible... I cannot move around my "note", only up or down seems responsive, trying to scroll to the right on the note brings up the main menu, scowling to the left nothing happens.. made this app. not usable as it stands. Please make that feature operate again. Thanks !

@Alex Leonard: to set some notebooks as available offline use these following steps:

go to the notebook list screen

You will see that each notebook item has a grey triangle at the bottom right hand corner. Tap it to display more option for this notebook.

Select Enable Offline Sync.

Long tap will enable multi-selection soon, this is the new guideline for ICS. This triangle item indicates that more option are available.

Ah ha, that's perfect. I did spot those little triangles, but trying to tap them is a little awkward as the system thinks you're attempting to use the scrollbar. Once I realised that you don't have to tap the triangle directly but can tap the number instead, it's much easier. Perhaps it would make sense, from a UI perspective, to give the tappable area a slightly different background colour? It would also make sense to me that you should be able to long-press on the notebook title to access the same menu?

One other small note - I don't see any obvious way to make an entire notebook stack available offline. The stack notebook doesn't offer a triangle indication of 'options' so you need to manually go through each notebook in the stack and make them available offline.

Thanks for getting back to me though, for the time being I've been able to set my Travel notebook offline which was the main thing I needed immediately.

Guest mrossk

I like the new update. It seems that everything is a a little faster and scrolling is smoother.

The small part of the note-list at the right side of the homescreen shows intuitive that you can wipe the screen left and right. Yes, this is a litte special. But has anyone a better idea to show so intuitive that it is possible to swipe to the notes at the right side? I like this. But evernote shoud start every time at the home screen after exiting it. Because when it starts at the list-screen you don't see immediately that it is possible to swipe back to the homescreen. But when you come from the homescreen you remember that you can swipe back.

→ After pressing (2x) the back-button it should start at the home screen the next time, after pressing the tasks-button it shoud start at the last visited state. This is the standard behaviour on android.

Marcel.

The small part of the note-list at the right side of the homescreen shows intuitive that you can wipe the screen left and right. Yes, this is a litte special. But has anyone a better idea to show so intuitive that it is possible to swipe to the notes at the right side? I like this. But evernote shoud start every time at the home screen after exiting it. Because when it starts at the list-screen you don't see immediately that it is possible to swipe back to the homescreen. But when you come from the homescreen you remember that you can swipe back.

→ After pressing (2x) the back-button it should start at the home screen the next time, after pressing the tasks-button it shoud start at the last visited state. This is the standard behaviour on android.

I think that would be underestimating the users. Once people are shown the slide ability upon first opening the new UI, via a tooltip, they can remember that. I definitely do NOT want it going back to the homescreen every time. I can remember how to get back there.

Guest mrossk

I definitely do NOT want it going back to the homescreen every time. I can remember how to get back there.

Not every time, only when you completely exit evernote by pressing the back-button 1 or 2 times.

When you only hide evernote or make a shortcut on your android background to a specific note or notebook or tag or saved search than you shoud of course jump immediately to this position.

Not every time, only when you completely exit evernote by pressing the back-button 1 or 2 times.

When you only hide evernote or make a shortcut on your android background to a specific note or notebook or tag or saved search than you shoud of course jump immediately to this position.

I think most people exit Evernote by simply hitting the home button on their phone. When I do that, I like that it takes me back to the last screen I was on. But I suppose if you hit backspace enough and, thus, the last page you were on was the home screen, maybe that should be where it comes back to when you restart the app. But for me, I am glad that the home screen is not the default starting page for a couple of reasons. First, that page is optimized for creating notes, and I only open Evernote to access notes. So, starting on the home page would just be creating an extra step for me to get to my notebooks, tags, etc. Second, I still find the new home screen a bit disturbing with the "peek" at the other page.

I didn't like the new interface also, but what's really pissing me off is the sweeping when I'm reading a note. I just want to scroll the note up or down, but it always swipe to the left, and the left part of the text is lost; when I try to pull the text back, Evernote swipes to the home screen; it's so irritating that I stopped using Evernote in my android phone.

If anyone can tell me how to downgrade to previous version, I'd be grateful.

@mdalves, thanks for the feedback. That apparently happens on some phones and we are working on the issue. It seems that the horizontal scroll is blocked when reading large web clips.

We'll continue working at making this UI faster and more efficient than the previous one. Your constructive feedback will help us do that.

I didn't like the new interface also, but what's really pissing me off is the sweeping when I'm reading a note. I just want to scroll the note up or down, but it always swipe to the left, and the left part of the text is lost; when I try to pull the text back, Evernote swipes to the home screen; it's so irritating that I stopped using Evernote in my android phone.

If anyone can tell me how to downgrade to previous version, I'd be grateful.

+1 for this as well. Its basically made viewing notes on my android device totally pointless as I can't scroll in peace and its constantly swiping to the home screen.

Please please please Evernote fix this lately update :(

@xdelplanque - thanks for replying. Even though I have criticisms it's good to know Evernote are listening. But today was the first time I googled 'Evernote alternative' :(

Your UI designers have completely misunderstood what haptic feedback is for. The clue is in the word feedback. It's there for when you wouldn't neccessarily know by sight or sound that you've correctly done something - so you can feel the buzz of a new message in a loud bar, or know that you've successfully entered a comma in poor lighting. But you don't need your phone to vibrate to tell you you've successfully opened/closed the Evernote home page. So telling me to turn off a useful phone feature to stop Evernote's useless annoyance is no kind of solution.

I have to scroll down to see the Places option on the home page. Even though there should be plenty of room, if it wasn't for the ridiculous amount of space given over to buttons like Snapshot or Audio.

As for the hardware menu. Well, I don't really care if some other phone doesn't have that button. Mine does, and the old version of Evernote made good use of it.

You didn't reply to my other points, especially the poor navigation between notebooks, so I guess that means we're stuck with it, yes?

@thisismyname, this behaviour wasn't defined by our designer. I understand we may not like it.

I thought I answered your other question:

we are currently working at making the notebook navigation more compact.

I'd suggest to be more specific about the issue, if that doesn't address your problem, so I can understand it.

I'm a premium subscriber, and have been since I first used the app a few months back. This update is a disaster.

The whole point of this app is that it makes keeping notes easy and intuitive. I don't want to have to re-learn what I already know how to do because the developer has decided to make life easier for me. Above all I don't want functionality I'm paying for hidden from me; In order to make my notebooks available offline I had to come here, read this thread and click on a small green triangle - that's hardly intuitive! Breaking integration with Skitch means I can't do one of the main things that made evernote attractive to me in the first place, the ability to take a photo of something and then annotate it with dimensions. I can still do that of course, but I don't find out I've wasted my time until I try to save it.

This should never have been released, it's clearly only suitable for beta testing. I don't pay to be a beta-tester.

REALLY like the new design. Once you acclimate to the new navigation you really begin to see what a leap forward this UI is.

Most of the issues I've read here are minor aggravation (at the worst) and will obviously be ironed out with subsequent updates.

Congrats ENote on forward thinking. The app really has been static in its look and feel for a long time so was happy to find this.

• Level 5*
Well, I found a version 3.6 apk and just downgraded Evernote in my cell phone. Not so cute but it's ok for me.

I'd be a little careful with that. I was running the betas, and accidentally 'updated' to 3.6 from a couple of betas ago. When I re-updated to the latest beta, Evernote wouldn't start up. I wound up deleting my database and re-syncing.

It may look nicer but basic functionality has been compromised.

• I cannot scroll left and right properly in a note anymore. Scrolling right is (occasionally) possible but any attempt to scroll left swipes the interface back to the home screen.
  • I cannot zoom out, only zoom in*
  • The menu key is utterly unresponsive**
  • Please add an option to reduce the size of the user interface font*. Currently the large(ish) font and white space mean there is a lot screen real-estate wasted on making things "look nice". I vastly referred the interface of the previous version. It was crisper, cleaner, neater and more professional looking.
  • The grey "menu" bar at the bottom of notes and list screens is ugly. Reminding me of Windows 95 UI styles.

* Not everyone has large screens

** The VAST majority of Android users are still using 2.x devices which use a hardware menu key. Google may like us all to start using software keys or upgrade to ICS, but I'm not going to spend £200+ on a new phone just to please them. By removing menu key functionality, you may be following ICS GUI guidelines, but I bet the vast majority of your users are not yet using ICS. And I bet the majority never will since version 5 of Android is cpming hot on ICS's heels before many manufacturers have released upgrades for their existing phones.

First of all, I have to say that I principle like the new UI design.

It looks modern, polished, more eye-catching than previous versions.

But, I really do not like to be abused as a beta tester, if I don't deliberately choose to be.

I am premium subscriber and I am really annoyed when EN pushes out "Release" version

which seems to be actually a beta version. There are so many bugs that EN just couldn't

miss if they really did some internal testing.

It is reassuring to hear "We are working on the issue...", but not at the same time when you

push out "Release" version. If you know you have still some issues to iron out, please let

us know this at least with a note "Know issues" before we decide to "upgrade" to the next

"Release" version.

I can take or leave the new interface, but I completely agree with the users that much prefer functionality over form, and the resentment to make users, especially Premium users, forced beta testers. Please fix the things that people need to USE this tool effectively. This isn't a freak'n iPhone app so I don't care what it looks like ;)

I would pay $50 to get these features added:

- proper tabbing in/out support for outlining

. better editing, as far as that goes!

[i can't even get a tab to work in this previous line!]

- begin search immediately on first character (not unconventionally waiting for the second character to be entered) of tab selection. My whole system, which I've been unable to utilize, is set up for filtering on the first character. My tabs start with ., *, &, $, etc.

- Ability to Rotate & Crop an image. Of course make the change stick.

And,

- remove the new development of the annoying delay that seems to be pervasive while modifying/creating notes.

Problem:

When I try to scroll the note to the right EN does not respond, when I try to scroll to the left, EN swipes to the home screen, if I try to scroll down and immediately to the right it scrolls to the right just a bit then it stops, I keep trying and 90% of the times EN swipes to the home screen, again and again very irritating because I can never get to scroll all the way to the right like I did before on the previous version.

I'm using the HTC EVO on sprint. Another user described the same issue I am having, I depend on the app. heavily and I CAN NOT use this app. any longer as it is impossible to move around my notes, all my notes are screen shoots and contain pictures & text.

Do you know how long until this navigation problem is resolved ?

Is there a way to install the previous version until you fix this problem?

Thank you.

Guest mrossk

After the update today, overall everything is working very well. I only don't know if this is intended:

• Every time when starting evernote it does not start in the home screen but in the list view, even when exiting evernote from the home screen it starts in list view the next time.
  • When opening a note via shortcut from the launcher then it is not possible to swipe back to the home screen from this note (but it is possible to go to the home screen by pressing the elephant-icon).

Scrolling a note view is working now which is a great imrovement. Pinch to zoom in seems to be working but zooming out again doesn't aways reformat the lines to the full width of the screen.

One thing now that I really miss is not being able to zoom out of the initial note view. Some of my notes have long lines of text and it was great to be able to zoom out to fit the entire lines across the screen. The initial note view starts off with a large text size so it's such a shame not to be able to reduce it's size to fit more information on to the screen. This was one of the features that really attracted me to Evernote in the first place. Please, please fix this.

After the update today, overall everything is working very well. I only don't know if this is intended:

• Every time when starting evernote it does not start in the home screen but in the list view, even when exiting evernote from the home screen it starts in list view the next time.
  • When opening a note via shortcut from the launcher then it is not possible to swipe back to the home screen from this note (but it is possible to go to the home screen by pressing the elephant-icon).

first point - we haven't changed this behaviour.

second point - you can still swipe, but it needs to start at the very left edge of the screen so it doesn't conflict with the scrolling

Guest mrossk

second point - you can still swipe, but it needs to start at the very left edge of the screen so it doesn't conflict with the scrolling

Oh, I have not noticed that there are 2 different sensitivitys when swiping depending on from where you open the note.

Thanks.

1) I LOVE how when I repoen evernote it takes me to the last note I've viewed

2) I DON'T love how I cannot go to the "next note". Before there was a little button at the bottom of the screen and I could scroll to see other notes in the selection

) I DON'T love how I can no longer make my tags with Capital letters only lower case. I've tried a few times and it now undoes the capitals and makes them lower case. I differentiate different types or importance of notes this way.

) I DON'T love how when I open a note, it automatically assumes I want to type.

) I DON'T love how the font is not customizable - it is way to big.

) Tags a) have the tags start at the same spot (immediately after the date) in the list view. I thoroughly don't love how they are right justified, it is inconsistent and makes it more difficult to see what tags I do or don't have.

) It took a really long time to figure out how to make my notebooks offline.

) Where is the "help" button"

) If I am in a notebook, I don't see a quick and easy way to get back to that notebook.

) SUGGESTION: allow users the option to default stacks to open or collapsed (opposed to the last time it was viewed).

) SUGGESTION: allow multiple pictures to be take at once.

) SUGGESTION: let me a) add tags in advance b)edit tags on the phone (such as delete or rename). I don't like how I have to go online to edit tags.

) SUGGESTION: If you are going to h ave the "menu" buttons on the left hand side in the app, why not make it consistent for the online app?

) SUGGESTION: If I have a tag "photo.idea" and I type in idea into the tag option on the app, the suggestions should populate other tags that have that word or similar letters in it opposed to just the first letter. It is fairly annoying to accidentally duplicate tags because of this.

) SUGGESTION: on the tag screen, when I long-press the tag have the option to "create a shortcut, nest, unnest, delete". It has always seemed like an extra step to press the tag AND THEN create the shortcut.

)WHY: Why is it so hard to find "help" on the website, web app, or android app????

) Is it just me, or is the "windows app" not obvious? This is the first time I've heard of it.

Web

-Maybe the "knowledge base" should have a link to "forum" especially since the information in there can be insufficient

-

I would need some more info about the following issue. Ideally, the device used, the version of Android, (the version of Skitch), and also a video showing the issue.

- Pinch to zoom / text wrapping broken

- conflict between swiping and scrolling within a note

That would be very helpful to fix them shortly.

Acer Iconia Tab A501 with Android 3.2.1. I have to play with a note for a while for the text to zoom and wrap properly. Comparing to the previous version this one seems very laggy in note viewing.I also have a suggestion referred to note listing. I have a group of note folders named with numbers and they're listed in this order: 1 10 11 12 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 instead of more human order 1 2 3 4 9 10 11 12... I think it should be easy to fix.

I've just upgraded to 4.0.3 - compared with the betas, I'm pretty happy with this update, on my phone at least - many thanks! I still have a few suggestions, and one obvious bug, to report:

• List view: compared with the beta, at least now we see more notes than in snippet view - but it could still be denser (even just reduced spacing)
  • Zoom out: I think this has been mentioned before - previous versions let one zoom OUT compared to the default font size, often very useful
  • Bug: [at least I assume it's a bug] the new menu press to bring up the bottom toolbar only works in portrait mode, not landscape

My comments in the beta thread still hold for the tablet version - far too much space is wasted, especially on a 7" device, such that I see far fewer notes on screen than on my phone! This is not a good use of screen real estate... Personally, I would be happy if the UI defaulted to phone or tablet, but if I could then choose (in "Advanced mode", for example). Currently the phone UI scaled up would be far more usable than the tablet UI... Thanks! Mark

I am pretty happy with the recent updates too.

* horizontal scrolling fixed

* option for menu button behavior and menu button - work as it should - great!

* very smooth scrolling for notes list - I would say that it improved in the last version

The only two issues that I have are:

* still laggy scrolling in notebooks list - no much improvement here for me in the new versions (HTC Desire Z with 2.3.3)

* too much unused space in notebooks and notes lists - but I guess it was already mentioned by Evernote that they are working on it

* I've noticed also funny effect when pressing menu button in Notebooks list - when I press menu button (and menu bar is shown at the bottom of a screen) some of little grey triangles (the ones that, when pressed, display available options for notebook) disappear. When I press menu button again (and menu button desappears) the triangles appear again... However, even without triangle, pressing the area where it should normally be launches available options menu without problems.

One more request - is it possible to have an option to hide program tips that are shown at the bottom of each list? When you are familiar with the program they are obsolete and somewhat distracting.

Nevertheless - changes are going in the right direction. Thanks! Waiting for more ;)

Thanks for cleaning things up, and especially compressing the list view (a little more would be better even nicer).

Is anyone else having this problem: when I create a new note and select Recording/Microphone in the main app it creates a recording as expected. When I hit the mic icon in the 4 x 2 widget it poops up a window stating "Processing, please wait" with the twirling circle gizmo and just hangs. Eventually, if I let it go, it usally totally crashes my OS, or I have reboot to get normal operation back. If I FC the widget and then try to create a new note with just the words "new note", then Done, it hangs again with the "Processing, please wait." If I then go to the main app the newly created is there, but then it hangs when I try to create another one. FC both the widget and the app, or rebooting, seems to be the only way to get normal function back. I do not have any bluetooth or wired headset plugged in at the time.

hi, i've just got a new Samsung Galaxy Nnote and i've been trying to install EN with no success. After "downloading" it says "Error: Package file invalid"

Could you please help - i rely on EN alot when i was using my Galaxy S2.

Thanks!

Some other users reported this problem. We had a few months ago a similar problem, most likely due to a problem with Google Play.

We will release a new update very shortly, hoping that it will enable you to download the update.

hi, i've just got a new Samsung Galaxy Nnote and i've been trying to install EN with no success. After "downloading" it says "Error: Package file invalid"

Could you please help - i rely on EN alot when i was using my Galaxy S2.

Thanks!

Sorry, I know this doesn't help your situation; however I also have a Samsung Galaxy Note with AT&T and the latest version of Evernote downloads and works fine for me. Mine is the locked AT&T version. Is your locked or unlocked?

When making a new notebook, a dialog is displayed and then a keyboard is displayed.

A dialog will slide to the upper part then.

I think that it is better to display a dialog, after displaying a keyboard.

hello.

There is a bug with the widget 4 x 2

If I click on note preview it does not open note but gives an error.

Fixed by installing standalone widget.

Also when a note uploaded and I click evernote notification - it gives an error again.

Samsung galaxy s3 premium account. Offline notebooks and offline search enabled.

Worked fine before upgrade. Tried deleting and installing the app with cleaning data via app manager. Still the error persists.

I've just bought an Ainol Novo 7 Aurora tablet running on ICS 4.0 and I couldn't download Evernote! Please help.... Thanks.

Hi Justintsn,

I've recently purchased the Aurora too and I think the problem is with Google Play not recognising the device vs Evernote itself.

I have worked around the problem by downloading the APK file from http://tinyurl.com/cx7uuo7.

Once it downloads go to the Download Application and open the installer and then just follow the on screen instruction.

I've only done this as of about 30 minutes ago but at this stage it seems to open, run and access my notes without any problems.

Regards

I am a Premium user and my icon in the top left isn't "shiny", as described in the email announcement. I additionally wish the picture in the top left could be a user-selected avatar (like my avatar on these forums). Is that possible?

No reply from Evernote about these issues I posted about...

One additional item: Can we make the "peek" configurable? I want to turn it off, but others may like it...

Archived