Penultimate for Android tablets?

AdmiralP

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey everyone--while we've mentioned it in the past in this very same thread, I'll say it again because it's pretty far down there--we have it in development, but there are no ETAs. 

As for whether or not we develop for Android over IOS or vice versa, our history doesn't really reflect this bias at all.  We develop natively for each platform, and release at the speeds of those development processes--with features generally "leap frogging" one over the other as one team tests out a new feature while the other is developing something else.  Here's an example of non Android bias--as you may recall, when Skitch joined the family we released an Android version the same day we announced, and it was months later (don't recall the span of time) before iPad came out, and even more months after that before an iPhone version came out (which is super-awesome btw).

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't skitch already out for android? I mean it wasn't anything to really re-develop, Evernote just acquired it. I don't think that's a good example. But good to know its in the works... still would be nice to know what's happening. It's not like were a major corporation (yes I just added my name to the EN family :P)

Actually, Skitch Android wasn't available.  (EDIT: See Keith's statement above).  At any rate, I have other examples of Android leading the way--like voice to text.  As far as knowing more, there's really not much I can give you in terms of ETAs, and that's the big one.

>@Gbarry - while I appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge this thread, personally, I find your response to be an attempt at placation rather than an attempt to provide useful information.  I understand that it is typically Evernote's policy to not discuss ETA's, etc....but the fact remains that it has been almost a year since your first acknowledgement that this is in developement.

There seems to be this ambivalence on the part of Evernote for this specific product....the longer it continues, the more customers that you are going to lose.  Somehow I can't imagine google or any other technology company in the valley taking this much time on any of their products...particularly one that only needs to be ported to a new OS.

We don't port apps--we develop from the ground up, so it's going to take time. We also don't pull resources from the main Android team--we have to pull together a development team to make it happen, then proceed from there. And taking our own history into account, this actually isn't unheard of. Skitch for iPhone took quite awhile post acquisition. I'm pretty sure it was September 2012 when Skitch for iPhone/Touch hit the stores, and that was a little over a year after our first Trunk Conference. Building good things takes time.

Thanks for replying.. im sure thousands of android users appreciate hearing this is still going to happen. Do the large crowd of a favor and do a little cubicle jumping now and let the "insiders" know where banging at the doors.

as for me... for now ill hold on to my subscription. but ive gone through an entire years premium subscription waiting for this to become available.... take that $50 dollars and wave it in some developers face for Jebuz Sake

Ben (the guy that wrote the original Penultimate) and the team are definitely well aware. But for kicks, I'll reflag this thread for him :)

soooo is "Ben" gonna sound off on this topic? or just watch from his cubicle?

Please Evernote-crew - speed up the development of Penultimate.      :) 
I just got myself a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, and like many others in this forum, I'm also waiting to go Premium until Penultimate is being released.

+1 for Penultimate and +10 for decent S-Pen support.

Oh, and although a Premium customer and local evangelist...would pay "real" money for a version.... and I'm a professional Yorkshireman with short arms and long pockets!

Happy to be a beta tester "Ben"! :D

I'm making my first post in these forums for the same reason.  I've only started using Evernote and, realising the possibilities for work (and play), decided to buy a tablet.  I was about to buy a Samsung Galaxy Note 8, mainly due to the S-Pen, and also assuming that there was an Android version of Penultimate.  Now I'm hesitating to sign up for a premium subscription to Evernote or buy the Note 8.  I guess I'll wait until the Penultimate for Android is available - ideally with S-Pen integration or at least support.

I beg to differ....it's been almost a year that they've been recruiting.....the Valley is swimming with Android developers....if they can't snag one after this much time then there is something very wrong with the offer.  As far as starting blind I disagree here as well.  Penulimate currently exists....it just needs to be translated into something based on java.  ...

Should have gone heavier on the sarcasm when I posted http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26144-penultimate-for-android-tablets/page-4#entry201769 

What I was trying to point out is that there is no apparent operational reason not to develop it. They have the technical skill, funding, and financial incentive as it would lead to more storage on Enote which is still their primary revenue source. (Not to mention the recent news that IDC recently tagged ipad tablet market share down to 39% while Android is up to 56%. A complete reversal of position in just a couple of years.)

If they have not released it with all this there is probably a financial motive that we are not privy to. (App-payola?) It's been a year with minimal forum updates, no beta, and no news. Maybe they are developing it but I gave up worrying about it and went and found something else. I am a fairly loyal enote user but after watching them squander an opportunity I have moved on and become too invested in what I chose in Penultimate for Droid's absence to worry about this thing showing up. 

edit: Did a quick check on the penultimate tagged threads: this sucker has 83 replies & 43,550 views on this baby alone. That blows past any of the other threads I saw in my quick scan of the lists. 43K+ views and no significant response from the 'DevTeam'  Take the hint...

It has been fun watching us '+1' this thread but perhaps a different tack is in order. As I had mentioned in previous posts I lost some interest in this app as Evernote seems to have made it clear this is not a burning priority with them. (As I commented on this thread I continue to get updates.) To that end I flipped over to Gnotes and have been pretty happy with it. Rather then creating the impression that you are all patiently waiting for Godot to show up with the app in hand, how about telling me, and the yahoo mods here, what you are using in its place. You code one app for a long time it is easy to delude yourself into thinking that there is no alternative. 

Our school district is recommending Evernote to high school students. A large number of our staff and students carry personal Android devices. Plus, we have over 200 district owned Nexus and Asus tablets. Penultimate for Android would make an excellent learning tool for our students and faculty. 

Your team might be interested to know that Google's Play for Education platform is now accepting developer submissions: http://android-developers.blogspot.com/2013/06/offer-your-educational-apps-on-google.html.  

Also, our school would be happy to field test Penultimate for Android as it nears completion. Thanks!

As many other users I joined this forum just to add +1 for an Android version of Penultimate. I enjoy this product a lot on my wife's iPad, I will enjoy it (hopefully) equally on my Samsung tablet.

My incentive: I will go Premium if/when that Android version is released. :)

+1 for stylus input on android,have been using EN for quite a long time,but this is a really important function.

exporting files from S-Note to EN doesn't work really well,they are just PDF attachment and unreadable unless you download them,so it is not usable.

In the meanwhile have been using LectureNotes on Android with Dropbox syncing and OneNote on Windows as well since they allow stylus input,but right now having data in different places.

Hope it will be released soon,I am considering to move to OneNote since scattering the information in different places is not convenient and as much as I like EN the stylus input is a must for me.

When I first started using EN back in 2007 I also bought an Acecad DigiMemo for note taking in meetings. This was very good for the time and I could export the notes into EN quite easily - the handwriting recognition was very good too. It's a hefty beast though, my A4 DigiMemo being larger and probably heavier than a 10" tablet these days. I'd really like to replace it with a tablet and ideally work directly in EN.

I don't currently have a tablet but would prefer an Android one over an iPad. Saying that, a really good sketching and note-taking application would be the killer app and I'd get an iPad if necessary.

Having seen the ads for Penultimate I've been holding out for an Android version for a while. Rather stupidly it occurred to me the other day that my wife has an iPad and even a stubby little stylus so I could try it out.

Imagine my disappointment to find that the integration with EN is so poor as to make it unusable! Why?

• There's no way to specify which notebook to sync PU notes to
  • Although PU appears to work in landscape mode (these days probably how I'd be using it mostly when sketching), once they're in EN the notes remain stubbornly in portrait mode and cannot be rotated at all! PU notes seem to get special status but are merely second-class bitmaps and can't be edited any further.
  • This special status of PU notes in EN also means you cannot edit the author (it's blank) or change the created date of the note. The author thing really bothers me in the Windows client too. I'm logged in as me, it ought to know that it's me whose writing the note and add my name automatically.
  • The PU to EN sync is so heavy handed that you can't delete anything from PU as it'll disappear from EN. So you have to copy the note out in EN to another note make it safe.
  • If you maintain notes in PU I can see it becoming unmanageable after a while as there's no discernible way to organise notebooks.

So PU is not much good. I can't complain about its abilities when actually writing or drawing, but it's EN integration is so tight and inflexible that it's actually a hindrance.

But hang on, I thought - I use the Windows EN client most of the time and that has a passable 'ink note' mode, which is capable enough and leaves editable notes, but is pretty useless on my PC - obviously it's designed for a tablet. So I downloaded the iPad EN client and there's no ink note capability! I checked the Android version and it's not there either. The one particularly suitable feature for tablets is only available for the client that it's least suited to! Frankly this is laughable. I suspect the ink note option is vestigial and will disappear in a future Windows client update.

So for all you Andoid users clamouring for Penultimate, I'd say don't waste your time because you'll be massively disappointed if it arrives in its current state. There must be a better alternative out there already that will have good enough EN integration that's effectively better than the way PU works.

I've decided that my most important requirements are

• Supports a decent range of styli. I've not used anything except the cheap, nasty, chunky rubbery thing I had to hand and I know I don't like that. The Adonit Touch looks very nice
  • Provides some level of integration into EN even if it's just the ability to email a bitmap. Until EN can do the equivalent of 'ink notes' in all clients itself natively then almost anything is going to be good enough (and probably better than PU).
  • Isn't Penultimate :mellow:

The iPad is definitely better served than Android as far as I can tell. Noteshelf  and Note Taker HD (despite looking like an early 1990's OpenWindows application) look like front runners. I can't find any decent information about similar apps for Android. Maybe Lecture Notes?

I'm leaning towards getting an iPad, an Adonit Touch and Noteshelf once the Touch is supported. It looks like the stylus companies don't care much for the Android market anyway - at best they work without any pressure-sensitive support as far as I can tell. If I'm going to pay 80 quid for a stylus I want all its features to work.

Any sharing of experiences with current Android apps would be appreciated.

Thanks Liam for your comments.

Have you looked into the Samsung Galaxy Note 8.0?

I'm using it now to write this post. It comes with a WACOM pressure sensitive stylus that has a tip similar to an ordinary pen tip. The stylus slides neatly into the frame of the tablet.

Regarding a note taking app, the Note 8 comes with its own called S Notes. If you want to export your handwritten notes to EN you can export the note as a jpg or pdf and then send it to EN.

I would suggest you check out the Note 8 and see if it meets your needs.

Some good thoughts from Liam (lgretton) on the Android ink note-taking issue.

So, one of the question s that arises is: do we want Penultimate for Android at any cost? i.e. even if it doesn't integrate well with EN? 

Need thinking about... the PU demo videos that I've seen suggest that PU is a powerful tool for ink notes - definitely a useful tool for a tablet device - but at the same time, to make things productive, you need to be able to do things with your ink notes... integrate with EN, be able to easily do things with them after you've captured the original note, etc

@happyspace - I guess the potential problem with the Samsung Galaxy Note solution is that you're tied to a particular brand/model of device? I suspect that Android EN users are looking for a ink notes app that can run on any Android device, which seemed to be the promise of PU

regards,

About Galaxy Note: If you do not want to be dependent of Snote, an application that runs on "any" Android and still leverages the resources of Spen is Papyrus. I use it on a tablet asus TF101. But, in fact, for handwritten notes, I still prefer to write on paper and then put into Evernote.

(...) @happyspace - I guess the potential problem with the Samsung Galaxy Note solution is that you're tied to a particular brand/model of device? I suspect that Android EN users are looking for a ink notes app that can run on any Android device, which seemed to be the promise of PU,

I'm using it now to write this post. It comes with a WACOM pressure sensitive stylus that has a tip similar to an ordinary pen tip. The stylus slides neatly into the frame of the tablet.

Useful info, thanks. We have a decent department store where I live that has a large range of tablets including the GN8. Next time I get the chance I'll try one out.

+1 for Android version of Penultimate

I switched from OneNote to Evernote and truly love it, with the exception of being able to do the handwriting portion. OneNote on my Lenovo tablet used to work beautifully for handwriting. I've no idea why Evernote hasn't done this for Android.

I'm also a Premium subscriber and would definitely upgrade further if Penultimate were available.

Hardly....they've had OVER a year and in June 2012 they posted a job position for a developer.  So they either have the slowest developers on the planet, can't find a developer to work for them (in which case they ought to be re-evaluating their offer), or really don't think that this is a priority.

After this much time and after hearing this much feedback from their users one can only assume that it's just not a priority.  In the world of high tech things change at warp speed...there hav been far too many unnecessary updates to other products at the expense of putting resources towards this.  Apparently, Phil Libin knows better than his customers because we've spoken and he isn't listening.

I would like this as much as the next person but complaining that they have the slowest dev's in the world is bs. Delivering quality products to the market takes time, resources and money; just because they have an iPad version that is solid, doesn't mean that porting this to Android or Windows 8 is easy. Each environment throws up its own challenges, restrictions and issues that need to be documented, designed and implemented.

What I can agree with is that I disagree with the policy on not discussing development plans/schedules with the community. The community is what keeps Evernote in business. I would much prefer an conservative plan with milestones documented that the community can get excited about than crickets.

I know that the community can be brutal if their is schedule slippage but you are losing customers and/or potential customers and they're just as brutal on the silence (case and point this thread).

I'm about to get a new laptop/tablet (transformer book) for work and will probably just use OneNote because I'm old school and like taking notes with a pen/stylus, it's a real shame but I won't be re-subscribing for premium at this point.

Chris

I hope they port the app directly from iOS whether then develop the new app.

I uses Mac, android pad, iPad and iPhone, the iOS version most likely better then android no matter in hello, food or EN. The android interface is not as good as iOS.

So I don't know y they spend so long so that but y not just port the app to android.

I believe that a handwriting feature should be produced that is embedded into EN, so that handwritten notes could be tagged, searched and edited from within Evernote.

I currently use LectureNotes (on a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1) which, for my purposes (business notes) is by far the best handwriting app for Android. I can then dump it into EN, so that it can be tagged, but it's no longer editable.

I must have tried all the handwriting apps for Android, believe me (Papyrus, Freenote, FiiNote, Memo, even OneNote etc, etc), and the one major thing that is missing from LectureNotes (and ALL the other apps) is tagging, which EN does beautifully.

EN would be perfect if it allowed me to handwrite my notes.

URRRGH! Frustrated that no app offers this simple mix of features!

Hardly....they've had OVER a year and in June 2012 they posted a job position for a developer.  So they either have the slowest developers on the planet, can't find a developer to work for them (in which case they ought to be re-evaluating their offer), or really don't think that this is a priority.

After this much time and after hearing this much feedback from their users one can only assume that it's just not a priority.  In the world of high tech things change at warp speed...there hav been far too many unnecessary updates to other products at the expense of putting resources towards this.  Apparently, Phil Libin knows better than his customers because we've spoken and he isn't listening.

A year to get out a solid app that entails more than leading you back to your car or a f*rt app.  Sure, things change at warp speed.  But many things unveiled today were started more than six months or even a year (or more) ago.  As far as updates to other products, although there may be some overlap, most devs do not work on all the products & each team works at their own pace based upon workload & priorities.  So a Mac or iOS update does not mean the Android people weren't working on the Android app b/c they were working on the Mac app.  And who are you to say these updates were "unnecessary" anyway?  There are things in those updates that I'd guess other users would say are pretty valuable to them. 

After buying a Samsung Galaxy Note 8 about a month ago I went searching for a good handwritten note solution.  I didn't realize how much I needed Evernote but now that I've found it, any said solution must integrate well with it.  S Note is less than ideal since you have to export to a .jpg then move this over to Evernote, name the note, etc.  As others have pointed out the S Note sync with Evernote doesn't seem to have much of a point to it, I want to read my notes within Evernote not just store the .snb there.  

I've found that Lecture Notes works the best.  They don't have automatic sync but after you are done with a note you can export that notebook directly to Evernote.  The note within Evernote will automatically take the name of the notebook within Lecture Notes and it will be placed in the default Evernote folder - mine is labeled Tablet.  I create a new notebook within Lecture Notes every time I want to make a note and send it to Evernote - this part could be smoother but it works.  

If Papyrus did add a direct export to Evernote I'd be just as interested in their solution as it is a very nice program as well.  

I'm hoping that when Penultimate makes it to Android it will elegantly integrate with Evernote.  For example, if I started a handwritten note under a "Work" folder within Penultimate, having it automatically sync with the same "Work" folder within Evernote after finishing the note would be great.  Really all we need is full pen support within Evernote.  

• 2 weeks later...

If you want an AWESOME app to ink with Evernote try Lecture Notes. It allows for layers, importing PDF's and exporting single pages to Evernote. For you Samsung Note users it also completely supports the S-Pen.

If Penultimate for Android is anything like the iOS version every inked note goes into Evernote. I prefer Lecture notes because I can send over only the pages that I want.

I want to see Penultimate for Android as well but Lecture Notes has set a very high bar for inking applications. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Jack61 is absolutely correct in suggesting Lecture Notes. I too have been waiting for Pen Ultimate, but in the meantime tried out Lecture Notes. I will not renew my Evernote premium account unless they give us android users Pen Ultimate by the time my subscription ends.

Lecture Notes is truly awesome. It has many different pen styles and colors, paper styles and colors; all of which are customizable. You can create multiple layers, import pictures, create basic shapes, and export to a compressed pdf (basically it jams everything into one layer). If you install Lecture Recordings, you can even record while you draw, and when you play it back, the page will scroll down as the recording plays back. Pretty cool when taking notes in class. Helps me merge my notes with what the professor said.

I like the fact that you can insert or delete notebook pages. I think you can even rearrange the pages if you want to. The only negative thing I can say, is that it is not connected to the cloud. Of course that keeps the apps permissions very low, which is a good thing. This app not being connected to the cloud is not really an inconvenience to me because I primarily use my tablet to take notes, and if I need something out of it, I can export to PDF, print it out, and annotate the page with an ink pen or something if I need to.

If I get rid of Ever Note Premium, I will still keep the app for my lists because they are connected to the cloud.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

.....and there my Premium-subscription ended, and as long as there's no Penultimate for my Galaxy Note I do not intend to fork out any money to renew it.

If the Evernote-note staff at least had the decensy to at least keep us informed here about the development progression, if there are any at all that is.

I'm a long time Evernote user and in my first month of Premium service. I too would love PenUltimate on Android, but I'm disheartened by the comments that I'm reading in this string. Some people would stop Premium service because there's no PU? Seriously? Has it gotten to the point that we're passive/aggressively protesting the lack of an App? I see that the company is making headway toward getting a programmer to work on this app. I have to be honest and say get over it. Evernote is extremely useful and user-friendly. The service is awesome. Stop being whiney about it and just use it.

This message is not intended as an advertisement and is certainly not from an employee of Evernote or any partners thereof.

To me, the great irony on this end of a very long thread is that Android has had, at least, ten or so tablets and/or phones (probably many more) that come, specifically, with a PEN.  So, releasing an application called PENultimate for the iOS platform that has, umm... let me think.... ZERO devices with a pen (unless I've missed something) is ironic at best.  No, we don't count those fat, unweildy, rubber-tipped things as a true pen.  If that is the case, then Android is still deserves the software just as much as iOS.  And, yes, I am fully aware that Penultimate was first an iOS app.  And, yes, I am equally aware of the fact the the "pen" in Penultimate is more of a play on words than a literal requirement.  But if you are, as you say, writing the code over, from scratch, then why not do it for both platforms?  You certainly seem to be updating it for iOS, so what is up? I have a Macbook Air 2013. My wife has an iPad and an iPhone.  I use an Android tablet (Lenovo Thinkpad Tablet.. with a real pen) and an Android phone and I am considering the Samsung Glaxy Note for both a phone and tablet upgrade.  I am also a computer professional and have been for thirty years.  I do not subscribe to the religion of one platform over another.  In addition to my Macbook Air, I have a Lenovo X220 tablet on which I run Windows 8 and Linux (I use Linux most of the time just because I am more comfortable there).  I say all this to reinforce that I use all platforms and I am not just a whiny Android cultist.  What bothers me most is that Evernote has owned this software for about 16 months and have seen fit to do nothing for their faithful Android users except regurgitate boiler-plate PR sound bites on forums.  I hate, hate, HATE it when official responses sound like someone is reading them rather than actually speaking to me as if they are not thinking for themselves and as if I don't matter (like I am an actual human being).  Is it really asking so much to have someone come here and say something like, I don't know...

"Hello Evernote faithful.   I know you are angry and, frankly, I don't blame you.  If I were a devoted, paying Evernote user with an Android device, I would be upset too.  Evernote is a spectacular piece of software that was made orders of magnitude better by the aquisition of Penultimate.  Sadly, a large portion of our users have been shut out of that improvement.  And, worse still, we've not been up-front or even communicative on a basic level regarding the progress of this software's inclusion into Evernote.  That isn't the way a group of professionals should treat those who not only use their software, but advocate on our behalf (and even pay us hard-earned money for the use of this software).  We apologize and promise to make this right from this point onward.  No, I can't promise that an updated version of Evernote with Penultimate will be available for download in a week, or even a month.  But, I will promise that we shall treat our users with due respect by keeping the lines of communication open and the development cycle time-table as transparent as we can.  I will ask the development team to post weekly updates on their progress within a new forum thread called, "Countdown To Android Penultimate".  Without our users, our company is nothing more than a way to waste time during the day.  The very least we can do is give you the respect one should give to those that support our company and provide our means of living.  All we can ask of you is patience and encouragement.  We solicit your input and ask that you stick with us over the next weeks while we tie up this important project.  We've strayed a bit and we apologize for that.  Henceforth, let's walk together down the right/write path.  Signed, Some Person From Evernote."

There, was that so hard?  That bit of tripe took me about four minutes.

P.S.  Sorry for being such a sarcastic jerk here.  I guess I am just tired tonight.  But, really, do you not think you deserve at least a bit of this?  Remember, there are not only customers on the other side of these posts, there are human beings. We deserve better.

• Level 5*

This is a user forum, Evernote do read pretty much everything but they only respond when they have something definite to say. It's very very rare that they discuss roadmap or upcoming software releases. Evernote are not alone in this, the vast majority of companies do exactly this.

If you'd like a direct response to your question then I suggest you open a support case, I doubt you'll get anything more but at least you will know you have all the information available.

With Evernote's well documented API and this apparent huge desire from the Android community I'm very surprised that no enterprising developer has built their own Android "version" of Penultimate.

It should also be said that when you pay for a Premium account what you are paying for is an improved service. You don't get better client apps and you don't get more client apps. If you've already paid for a Premium account, then you are paying for what you have now and not for what might be in the future.

Metrodon, I agree that you should open a support case to get more information.  In fact I have -- twice -- six months part since being part of this thread and I have received no information from the support or customer service department. No information, nothing, nada!    Based on that I have to disagree with your apologetic stance for the company.  

To be fair, I have had to open a support case for a technical issue after a recent upgrade and I did receive timely advise. The fact that my previous two support cases that was only looking for information is what has left a bad taste.

• Level 5*

OK, so assuming you received a ticket number and the system has worked properly then it's not difficult to deduce that there is no public information available with regard to Penultimate on Android.

I'm not apologising for anything, I'm just laying out the facts.

Regarding a note taking app, the Note 8 comes with its own called S Notes. If you want to export your handwritten notes to EN you can export the note as a jpg or pdf and then send it to EN.

I just got a Galaxy Note 3. I'm still playing with S Note and LectureNotes, but there's no doubt the pen and writing action is fantastic. Both S Note and LectureNotes are much better than Penultimate all round and their Evernote integration is no worse than Penultimate's.

In the past, I was an addicted user of a Tablet PC. Using all the times this device with handwritten notes.

When moving to Android tablet, I discovered on same time EN and became a heavy user, but without handwritten capability  :-(

I've seen several times PenUltimate on iPad, it's so good !   I have a dream !  A dream where I could use my Nexus10 tablet with a nice stylus and taking all my notes using PenUltimate ....    Is it science-fiction ? or could it be reality ?

Ok so, Pentulimate is awesome!, no doubt about it. But, If we had Evernote Pentulimate for Android then my Note 3 and its S Pen would be extraordinary!!! Make My Premium Membership Dollars count guys :-). So Please Evernote Peek for Android Pretty Please!

penultimate_launch2.png

+

sketchbook-galaxy-note-3-1.jpg

Bump for another premium subscriber with 2 galaxy note devices.

I can't count in Samsung to update their note 2 and 8 for better Evernote integration, so I need penultimate to better sync my notes.

I don't see any reason to keep paying a monthly fee if all I can do is upload my s note files that can only be viewed on my galaxy tablets. I can do that with Google drive for free.

We all seem to be after Penultimate for Android (I use LectureNotes, which is great), but surely all we need is the Ink note feature from Evernote for Windows to be added to Android - Am I way off the mark?

I don't think you are off the mark. Actually, I didn't even remember that Windows version had ink input (just assumed Skitch took it over). However, I just tried it on the last version and it's just too lame compared to Penultimate or Onenote ink inputs, IMHO. It has cool features, though, like the auto-polygon (or whatever name they call it), but touch/stylus support is subpar (ex.: I cannot use pinch zoom while inking with stylus as in Onenote) and no pressure sensitivity. It's just like Windows Journal or Sticky Notes embedded in EN. 

So, if that's what they would bring to Android version, I think it's just too lame to even bother a premium subscription. I'd rather buy another app an find a way to export to EN.

Thus, I keep waiting for a better solution (i.e. Penultimate for Android ;-) )

Another user asking for Penultimate for Android.  My device is a Note 3.

What do you think Penultimate will give you that you can't already do with your Note 3? S Note and LectureNotes applications are much better than Penultimate.

Access to the hundreds of notes I took w/ Penultimate for iPad.

This thread has been going on now for more than a year, just wish EN would say yes they are doing this and it will be qtr x in 20xx when its due. As its a serious omission in their suite of products, and its only a matter of time when a competitor will bring a good feature set like this out and you would loose a lot of customers. 

After all this time, after all the platitudes and assurances, I think you'll find Evernote is being paid by Apple to delay development on the Android platform as with so many other applications.

Even Sky TV has had to offer significant rhyme and reason for delays in development of their SkyGo app for Android and none of those make any sense given their budget and developer skills.

I don't have any axe to grind with Apple or Evernote, I use an iPad at work and Penultimate is the best app for note taking on the fly. However, I prefer Android devices and need cross-platform synchronisation.

All I know is I am a paid up member and organised my company as well, and were about to move several of the lads in as well, but I am an avid Android user with several devices and the Penultimate would be amazingly convenient for me. At this stage after almost a year of promises I may start looking around for another solution altogether!

It would be nice if Evernote got back and said either yes/no or sorry lads Qtr 1 20xx and will be launched. At least we can have something definitive!

You can tell by their Dev Cup winners that they reward iOS developers.  Almost all (if not all) their winners were iOS only apps.  That's why I am even considering the new iPad Mini for my next "mini" tablet.  Do I really want it?  NO!  Evernote has too long supported the Apple environment and now that Android has kicked its technological butt, they are behind the 8 ball and Evernote Premium users aren't impressed with the effort.

I fear we will never see Penultimate for Android. It would hurt the market for the $75 stylus. Why buy the stylus when your tablet already comes with one.

https://www.evernote.com/market/feature/stylus?sku=STYL001001

I find it remarkable that a company with the resources of Evernote would abandon an obvious built in market for their product.

We have canceled our business subscriptions for two companies and am moving on to another solution. We are not moving on because there is a better solution, we are moving on because of the lack of availability for other platforms.

There are other apps that do hand written note taking and I will spend the extra time an effort to integrate these so I no longer need to pay someone who is not sanctifying the needs of my business.

I will also stop recommending Evernote as a solution to colleagues and clients.

THIS !!!>>>>

I fear we will never see Penultimate for Android. It would hurt the market for the $75 stylus. Why buy the stylus when your tablet already comes with one.

I find it remarkable that a company with the resources of Evernote would abandon an obvious built in market for their product.

We have canceled our business subscriptions for two companies and am moving on to another solution. We are not moving on because there is a better solution, we are moving on because of the lack of availability for other platforms.

There are other apps that do hand written note taking and I will spend the extra time an effort to integrate these so I no longer need to pay someone who is not sanctifying the needs of my business.

This is how you make change.  If you stop paying Evernote and start paying the competition,  Evernote will have to do something.  There is other software that does what Evernote does.

You might want to pay attention Evernote.  Why does it have to come to this Evernote, why?

I think you are a little off the mark here.  The stylus you claim is halting production of Penultimate for Android only works on iOS.  It would only make sense to build Penultimate for Android in order to open up a new market for the stylus ON Android.  Not all Android tablets include a stylus like the Galaxy Note line, so there is still plenty of market share out there for both products on the Android platform.

Now with that said, does Evernote need to get their asses in gear and get this product out?  Hell yes they do!!!!  Is the delay in turning out this product beyond ridiculous?  Hell yes it is!!  Is Evernote becoming more and more Apple-centric?  YUP!

it also seems to me that they are putting a hell of a lot of effort into trying to make a Psudo stylus work (ie ignoring hands etc) on iOS where there isnt any REAL stylus support. when the stylus ready hardware not only exists on Android but is growing.... 

first it was the galaxy note 10.1 now its up to the note 3 and the Wacom Companion not to mention that 4.04 will have OS level stylus support....

http://liliputing.com/2011/10/google-android-4-0-adds-support-for-stylus-input.html

Come on Phil, figure this out!!!!!

I hope the Evernote team know that many are waiting for Penultimate Android version available for can be Premium members, with the same privileges as iOS Premium members. Feel free to take our money for a premium membership, but treat us as we deserve; our money is the same as the others SO users. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have had to abandon Evernote and wont be renewing my membership due to this. My household runs multiple Note devices and a few iPads, with EN provoding a rather inconsistence experience between the devices we decided to no longer renew and find a better solution. Even the integration with SNote on the Note 3 doeant really cut it.

• 1 month later...

It's actually rather insulting of them to be honest and I enjoy the Evernote, but don't want to support a company that doesn't even bother to answer it's customers in its own forum.

Giving it till end of February with some kind of news and if nothing, then canceling my preloaded company subscriptions.

It's actually rather insulting of them to be honest and I enjoy the Evernote, but don't want to support a company that doesn't even bother to answer it's customers in its own forum.

Giving it till end of February with some kind of news and if nothing, then canceling my preloaded company subscriptions.

This is a users board. EN staff post occasionally as time permits. If you want to dialog directly with EN, please submit a support ticket (see my sig) or premium users can use the chat.

+1 to this request, after having followed this thread from the beginning. No threats, no begging... just keeping the dream alive. :)

I've tended to avoid officially commenting here because I have nothing tangible new to report from last I commented in this thread and I'm not looking to lead anyone on, but I can definitely say it's not vaporware and we are definitely working on it.  Again, no ETAs, but the dream is very much alive.

This is a users board. EN staff post occasionally as time permits. If you want to dialog directly with EN, please submit a support ticket (see my sig) or premium users can use the chat.

I have opened two official support tickets and received no responses to either.  Bad support.

I have given up and have gone to the Samsung Galaxy Note and am using the S-Note app.  I have given up and now unfollowing this discussion.  Good luck to you patient souls!

What amazes me is just how long this port we keep getting told is in the works is taking. I can't think the dev team for tools like LectureNotes and Papyrus are near as big or well funded as Evernote, yet they've been able to build wonderful tools that are essentially very similar to Penultimate.

I do use them, and love them. However, the ability to have all my notes and doodles automatically and seamlessly synced with the Evernote I use every day is what I really want Penultimate for.

Well, we don't really port, and when we develop something from the ground up, we tend to work through various iterations of how it would work best within the ecosystem we have here.  Getting to this:

...the ability to have all my notes and doodles automatically and seamlessly synced with the Evernote I use every day is what I really want Penultimate for.

Is the goal.

Well, we don't really port, and when we develop something from the ground up, we tend to work through various iterations of how it would work best within the ecosystem we have here.  Getting to this:

...the ability to have all my notes and doodles automatically and seamlessly synced with the Evernote I use every day is what I really want Penultimate for.

Is the goal.

I think a lot of users fail to think about this when they are making comparisons to apps that deal with only one or two OSes. 

I can appreciate this, but when some staff members already posted before about a year ago and they gave hope then (and recieve email updates) you expect more.

It was a comment s few of us made on the CEO's blog that seemed to spur a reaction.

+1 to this request, after having followed this thread from the beginning. No threats, no begging... just keeping the dream alive. :)

I've tended to avoid officially commenting here because I have nothing tangible new to report from last I commented in this thread and I'm not looking to lead anyone on, but I can definitely say it's not vaporware and we are definitely working on it. Again, no ETAs, but the dream is very much alive.

That's cool thanks, a date would be nice but knowing the is done development happening, well that's enough for now thanks.

Well, we don't really port, and when we develop something from the ground up, we tend to work through various iterations of how it would work best within the ecosystem we have here. Getting to this:

Is the goal.
After developing litteraly thousands of sites both simple and ridiculously complex I can appreciate the complexity. But also we are not talking about bootstrapping blind here for an Android version. Yes with the huge diverse range of versions that adds complexity, but starting from ASOP or heaven forbid a galaxy (my preference is the HTC One >:~}) then it's a bit easier.

I was getting all excited hearing about this new stylus and Penultimate, but was very disappointed to find out it's only for iPad.  Please release an app for Android tablets.  I would love to use this on the Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (2014 Edition) or a Nexus 10, or even a Kindle Fire HDX!  Please consider making it available for Android tablets.  And perhaps other platforms in the future.

I'm packing my Jot Script up for return right now. I use multiple devices every day including the iPad Air and Galaxy Note 10.1. The Jot solution is horrific in comparison to the Galaxy Note, completely unacceptable, especially for $75!

I have a Cintiq Hybrid and Penultimate would be greatly appreciated on it.  The Play Store has gotten allot better but it is currently lacking any decent, polished note and sketch app.  I would happily pay for this app even though I already pay for an Evernote account, just so long as I can install the app!

I too find it very insulting to be told for at least 18 months that there is going to be a version of Penultimate for android. Evernote need to either employ more android developers or sack the existing ones as they are obviously useless!

I will soon looking for a replacement for Evernote as I now believe that Evernote doesn't want Android users.

Penultimate is the worst experience I have with Evernote

I bought note10.1 and hoping for a android version but I give it up and bought a new ipad air and the jot script.

But jot script cost me $100 but It doesn't work will with penultiiamte. At first I thought it is about the hardware issue of pen, but finally I found the pen work well with other note taking app very well. It is totally the app not optimized with the pen.

It is total heart break for a $100 stylus. The stylus said it is evernote version and design for penultimate.

The penultimate team is the worst product team in Evernote. I really want Phil to know about the issue how disappointed I have as a big supporter of Evernote!!

We've moved Ink for Android out of alpha and into beta testing, available here: https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/104510054128618368971

You'll need to register and be approved if you want to have access to the beta.

Essentially takes Penultimate functionality and moves it directly into the Evernote experience on Android.  To create a handwritten note: select the pen button on the note editor to insert handwriting in a note. You can select different width and colors, erase, cut and undo / redo.

Again, this is in beta, so it's going to have some rough edges that need smoothing out, but if you'd like to try it, it's available.

Archived