Penultimate for Android tablets?

AdmiralP

So, is there any chance that as a result of this jooining of forces between EN and Penultimate thatwe might see an Android version of Penultimate?

Android tablets really need a good handwriting app and having something that integrates with Evernote would really be great.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I use PenSupremacy, which is nowhere as good as PenUltimate, and I am just experimenting with 7 Notes for Mazec. which seems to be slightly easier integration

arguably Penultimate would be the only reason I'd cosnsider going back to the iPad again (at least until the 7" iPad)

• 1 month later...

We're listening, and we'd love to have Penultimate on Android too!

In the meantime, I found this that might work for you (untested, and I'm providing this as a courtesy from one person on the internet to another. This is completely not anything at all to do with Evernote. Check the Source URL for any support with it):

http://www.evernote....aae0fb27d1d2997

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really wish Penultimate will be launched on the Google Play Store soon, so I can access this app using my Galaxy tab. And hopefully with more drawing options, and additional coloring choices and stuff. I know this app is no Photoshop or an image-manipulating app, but, I still am expecting more features since I am a big Evernote fan.

My younger sister also enjoys this app although I know that kids are hardly Evernote's target user. This app comes in handy every time my sister throws a feat. She enjoys this app as much as she enjoys this fantastic app called Maddie and Matt's Happy Earth because of the sensitive touch detection and awesome retina display.

I'm just really, really looking forward to seeing Penultimate as an Android app. This awesome app idea will surely rake in thousands of downloads and cool reviews.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I am a premium EverNote User and really happy with my EVERNOTE on Windows,

Please speed up your Penultimate development for Android,

I really don't want to switch over to S-NOTE by Samsung when using my Galaxy Note

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can not believe it is taking so long for Evernote to include the ability to take handwritten notes on an Android device!!!!

The problem that I have witnessed on Penultimate, is that it is still only taking a "snapshot" when you send your note to EN.

I want to be able to edit the note through EN. Start a note on my Tablet, add to it on my phone, modify it further on my PC, then continue again on my tablet at a follow-up meeting.

I have been using EN for sometime waiting for this feature.

Please make a Penultimate App for users to purchase on Google Play and use on Android devices! I am working with a school that is going to be getting many Nexus 10 devices and they would like to have this app. Please hurry....

Thank you so much!

• 2 weeks later...

please bring this app to android and stop the i-stupidity.. i'm getting sick of apple based products when android is by far the largest OS out there. i think i would actually use this app if it was on android. Also, anyone know what pen they were using in the add? i can't find a stylus that fine anywhere?!

please bring this app to android and stop the i-stupidity.. i'm getting sick of apple based products when android is by far the largest OS out there. i think i would actually use this app if it was on android. Also, anyone know what pen they were using in the add? i can't find a stylus that fine anywhere?!

I have to agree.  I saw the announcement for penultimate, only to see it was for iOS.  In the time that Evernote has owned Penultimate they could have had a android release by now.  Frustrating.  

I was SO hoping that scrolling to the bottom of these posts would be like a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow -- an announcement of a launch of Penultimate for Android.  I'm traveling extensively this year and had hoped to lighten my load, ditching paper and pen journals, my laptop and taking only my NEXUS.  I am even considering a Sky Wi-Fi SmartPen, but that means ditching my DROID and Evernote, which I'd so hate to do... and then see the new app suddenly surface, after I've made the investment.  Weighing in here for the first time:Please.

I think it's pretty apparent that there is a huge demand for this product based on this thread and several others on the forum that deal with an android version of penultimate.  While Evernote has continually come up with one awesome product after another I think this is one time that your users are TELLING you what they want....so please, LISTEN and RESPOND to your users.  What makes a company great is not only their products but also how RECEPTIVE and RESPONSIVE they are to their customers.....Evernote, SHOW US that you are a GREAT company!

First time posting and moved to post by hard to believe lack of response to such a long running demand. Only started using Penultimate in the last week or so. Long time user of Evernote (premium) but I'd drifted off evernote to SNote which I don't like much but find handy on the Note.

I much prefer the Android to the iPad.

Not really expecting any response, as no one else is getting any response either but its strange. Either the development is really underway and go live is delayed or development has been halted for some reason. Not really enough to say every couple of months that we do love Android and plan to release...

First time posting as well.  

I use Evernote extensively for staying focused and on task using GTD (Getting Things Done and http://www.thesecretweapon.org/ ),  to capture notes at client sites, and for all my course material studying for an MBA.  I'm a Premium user and I use my Android tools --> Galaxy Tab 10.1 + Nexus 7 + Nexus 4 and a Windows based PC at home.

I'm desperate for two things:   PenUltimate  and the ability to highlight within notes 

Please get the PenUltimate for Android to market!!!

This issue, for me, is a major one, and I've been watching and waiting before renewing my premium membership. My membership is almost up and it's not looking good.  I love Evernote,  but the lack of response to, and interest in, the needs and requests of android user's, is disappoiting in the extreme. 

This issue for me, is a major one, sososo I've been watching and waiting before renewing my premium membership. My membership is almost up and it's not looking good.  I love Evernote,  but the lack of response to and interest in, the needs  and requests of android users really dissapoints me.

I'll buy Penultimate for Android when it becomes available. Can you include support for the Samsung Galaxy Note 2 with S-Pen, please?

Evernote advertised (link) for a programmer to develop Penultimate for Android but theres no indication when the job posting was created. Anyone know when that appeared?

-Peter

Warning: PenSupremacy is NOT a good substitute for Penultimate.  I am going to stay with Evernote Skitch for now until hopefully there is Penultimate for Android.

I just installed a fresh copy of PenSupremacy on my Nexus7 and it:

1. quits the app after I continue to page 2 within a notebook.

2. will not reopen the notebook.

3. if I save/send the PenSupremacy note to Evernote with the hopes of at least rescuing the PS note contents inside Evernote, the PenSupremacy note container is there in Evernote but the note's content itself is empty. 

4. PenSupremacy has no support on its website.  Will cross my fingers I can actually send e-mail to the developer.  That or I just wasted $2 and 20 minutes of my life. 

I have used Penultimate on an iPad and it is wonderful.  I am hoping to build up the user cry-out for Evernote to build and release Penultimate for Android!

If you want an AWESOME app to ink with Evernote try Lecture Notes. It allows for layers, importing PDF's and exporting single pages to Evernote. For you Samsung Note users it also completely supports the S-Pen.

If Penultimate for Android is anything like the iOS version every inked note goes into Evernote. I prefer Lecture notes because I can send over only the pages that I want.

I want to see Penultimate for Android as well but Lecture Notes has set a very high bar for inking applications. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

This has now become one of the hottest threads in the Penultimate forum.....hello, Evernote, are you listening?????  It sure seems like we have an echo in here!  Customers are clamoring for it and Evernote is silent.......which means that they are either too busy with their noses to the grindstone cranking out the code or they don't care and will release it when they get around to it.  SHOW US, Evernote!!

I was just looking through the play store and saw an app called Write.  Only played with it for a few minutes but it looked pretty good.  Not as many features as SNote (for those with a samsung note device) and it's not as nice as penultimate from what I remember when I used it back on iOS.  It does have a decent set of features for a free app though.  Lack in notebook organization but paired with evernote and that problem is resolved.  It has some promise at least until penultimate makes it to Android.

I guess this is one of those forums where there is no interaction with the evernote team. I would have thought a hot topic like this would have gotten a response of some kind now...

Please get us a version for Android...!

Seriously evernote, I'm falling head over heels in love with you, As a grad student. I find evernote to be completely invaluable to my workflow. BUT I NEED PENULTIMATE BECAUSE I LOVE MY NEXUS 7, I READ TOO MANY PDFS AND I'M NOT GOING TO SWITCH.

I now have a co-worker who is new to Evernote raving about Penultimate with his iPad. I'm starting to detest him and his Apple products!

Evernote developers ---  don't forget about the Android market!!!

come on! with real Wacom support in a large amount of android tablets... how can this not sound like fun? count me in on the coffee club, ill see your Starbucks card and raise you a bag of Caribou grinds of your choice!

My offer of buying someone a cup of coffee to get this going still stands. If the developer Evernote hired to build the Android App will identify him or herself, I'll send a Starbuck's card.

Starbucks?! I thought you said you were going to buy him/her a coffee?  ;)

SNote on Note 10.1 works well and share it across if needed (- Skitch is worse than useless IMHO)... not as slick as an integrated app... but SNote has a lot of useful features that Penultimate doesn't have ... Lecture Notes are ok as well... but lacks the tech drawing features of Snote - and the SNote UI is easier... the only issue with SNote is .snb file type - doesn't open to anything else

I was really waiting on this app as well.  I tried out Write and I love it.  It has some awesome features and works great.  It doesn't have great folder organization but I upload my notes to evernote so it doesn't really matter.  It has a really nice bookmark feature that allows you to mark spots in a notebook and then see them all at once on a single page.  It's not as polished as penultimate but it's pretty good.  Until evernote allows writing inside of evernote this will be my note taking app.

I would very much like to see Pentulate for Android.  I use Evernote Premium on my Android Phone and my Android tablet. I also work at a college where one of the things I do is show note taking tools to students.  A lot of my students use Android, more so than iOS. It is difficult to recommend tools that do not have Android versions of apps.

Calm down guys. Think of all the hurdles that and Android version presents:

They have been looking for an android developer since July 2012 and you know how hard those guys are to find:

http://evernote.theresumator.com/apply/job_20120619195222_LUSOSRTRNXNRYVKL/Android-Engineer-Penultimate.html

When they do land this big fish, he or she will be starting completely blind with no reference code / graphics / user interface guidelines / or evernote integration tools. Nada. Zip. Zilch.

They have to be concerned about the amount of available storage in the Evernote space. (With Eric Schmidt stating that Android Activations are now at 1.5 million per day the thought of adding another tool for android users to create and store content in Evernote has got to be intimidating. )

There is no real rush. It's not like the other, weaker, competitors are rushing to update their stuff. Granted Google Keep did upgrade this month and OneNote updated 5 or six months ago, and there are those punks at Gnote that is gaining some ground with all their features and an update released 10 days ago.

But why worry? Penultimate will get here someday. Be patient. These guys are.  

I beg to differ....it's been almost a year that they've been recruiting.....the Valley is swimming with Android developers....if they can't snag one after this much time then there is something very wrong with the offer.  As far as starting blind I disagree here as well.  Penulimate currently exists....it just needs to be translated into something based on java.  Granted, this is a monumental and difficult task but the point of reference does in fact exist.  This industry changes almost daily...the industry leaders today were for the most part a nobody a year ago and the industry leaders of tomorrow will include many companies that we've probably never heard of today.  Those companies who sit back on their heels assuming that they have all of the time in the world are the ones who will eventually fade off into oblivion.  The companies who capitalize on industry leading solutions are the ones who will be around for the long haul.  Penultimate for IOS is unquestionably the industry leader....Evernote had had a year to capitalize and for what includes probably a LOT of hard work thus far the fact remains that we as endusers have nothing tangible to see as the result of that effort.  It's time to make this a priority.

I can not believe it is taking so long for Evernote to include the ability to take handwritten notes on an Android device!!!!

The problem that I have witnessed on Penultimate, is that it is still only taking a "snapshot" when you send your note to EN.

I want to be able to edit the note through EN. Start a note on my Tablet, add to it on my phone, modify it further on my PC, then continue again on my tablet at a follow-up meeting.

I have been using EN for sometime waiting for this feature.

This is what I want too.

I have a Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 tablet and am a bit disappointed with S-Note and the other notepad/book programs out there.  I love how EverNote gives synchronizes with my PC, phone, and tablet.  I'm a graduate student and I want to do this with handwritten notes too.  Basically it just needs to be like Skitch but more suited to stylus input.

Disculpen que escriba en castellano, mi ingles es muy malo y tal vez no me exprese bien pero somos muchos los que estamos cansados de esperar la aplicación para android y cuesta creer que se demore tanto solo por cuestiones de desarrollo del software.

Sorry but my english is pretty bad and perhaps not be able for express myself correctly.

I'm tired of waiting for the application to android and can not believe that long delay cuestionesde only for software development.

I have a Galaxy Note2, amazing device! Only problem is finding the prefect writing app that I can go across platforms with. I use s-note but it does not work well with evernote and it's not cross platform.

If you produce Penultimate for android I can then sync it with my iphone mac and pc...What a result! I have tried nearly all the handwrighting notetaking apps on the droid and if Penultimate comes to the platform with s-pen integration, (making sure it can at least do what the s-note can) with seamless integration in evernote, you would seriously clean up!  I'm just not using evernote that much at the moment as im stuck with a not perfect solution of note taking. 

Penultimate would be that perfect solution for most of us out here and for a lot of people who dont even know they need it yet! If this product was on the market you would get your ROI, I'm sure of that. Heres to hoping for the product and some communication with your potential ambassadors of your products. 

I beg to differ....it's been almost a year that they've been recruiting.....the Valley is swimming with Android developers....if they can't snag one after this much time then there is something very wrong with the offer.  As far as starting blind I disagree here as well.  Penulimate currently exists....it just needs to be translated into something based on java.  ...

Should have gone heavier on the sarcasm when I posted http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26144-penultimate-for-android-tablets/page-4#entry201769 

What I was trying to point out is that there is no apparent operational reason not to develop it. They have the technical skill, funding, and financial incentive as it would lead to more storage on Enote which is still their primary revenue source. (Not to mention the recent news that IDC recently tagged ipad tablet market share down to 39% while Android is up to 56%. A complete reversal of position in just a couple of years.)

If they have not released it with all this there is probably a financial motive that we are not privy to. (App-payola?) It's been a year with minimal forum updates, no beta, and no news. Maybe they are developing it but I gave up worrying about it and went and found something else. I am a fairly loyal enote user but after watching them squander an opportunity I have moved on and become too invested in what I chose in Penultimate for Droid's absence to worry about this thing showing up. 

edit: Did a quick check on the penultimate tagged threads: this sucker has 83 replies & 43,550 views on this baby alone. That blows past any of the other threads I saw in my quick scan of the lists. 43K+ views and no significant response from the 'DevTeam'  Take the hint...

I was one of the early adopters of Evernote. I used to think it was a great company and a great product. Now I think its a ***** company that has hired a few good developers by sheer dumbluck. No linux client for Evernote, no android client for penultimate. What on earth is wrong with a company to ignore such huge markets? I would have gladly paid for evernote if they had come up with a decent client but now I am more concerned about what I can do to cause Evernote as much harm as possible. I'll be campaigning strongly against anyone paying a single cent to such an apathetic company.

The Gauntlet is officially being thrown down.. I demand to see ANY reply from someone within Evernote, or I will officially be canceling my premium account due to breach of contract...

Your issue has been assigned support ticket #32298. You have also been emailed a confirmation including this number.You should receive an email confirmation immediately. If you do not, please check your Spam folder or check your email address on file in your Evernote account settings. If the email is incorrect, please change it and then resubmit your ticket.Your request is now awaiting assignment with our support team. Responses are made in the order received.Thanks,The Evernote support team

Here's my support request:

http://discussion.evernote.com/topic/26144-penultimate-for-android-tablets/page-5?locale=en

I find it kind of insulting that nobody from within Evernote has taken the time to respond to one of the highest viewed, highest replied topics in your forums regarding Penultimate element for Android. I'm not asking you to make it, I'm only asking that you respond & respect the people who actually take the time to make a post on your forum you host on your website. if there is not a reply in the next 48 hours I revoke my premium membership since there is no reason for me to pay for support that doesn't exist.

My premium membership just ran out and I'm not renewing it, due to this very issue. It's not just the fact that android users haven't been given Penultimate, but also the fact that no one from Evernote has given us enough respect to tell us WHY.

I just don't understand why EN has a bias towards apple products? This same thing happened with EN Food and Hello, Android was always last. I'm not sure why they don't do it together. 

My guess would be that it's a bigger market for them. But lots of us who have android devices also have iOS devices, or our family members have them, and between being able to use our favorite app on one, and not the other...the disparity just leaves a bad taste for EN...

Hey everyone--while we've mentioned it in the past in this very same thread, I'll say it again because it's pretty far down there--we have it in development, but there are no ETAs. 

As for whether or not we develop for Android over IOS or vice versa, our history doesn't really reflect this bias at all.  We develop natively for each platform, and release at the speeds of those development processes--with features generally "leap frogging" one over the other as one team tests out a new feature while the other is developing something else.  Here's an example of non Android bias--as you may recall, when Skitch joined the family we released an Android version the same day we announced, and it was months later (don't recall the span of time) before iPad came out, and even more months after that before an iPhone version came out (which is super-awesome btw).

Hey everyone--while we've mentioned it in the past in this very same thread, I'll say it again because it's pretty far down there--we have it in development, but there are no ETAs. 

As for whether or not we develop for Android over IOS or vice versa, our history doesn't really reflect this bias at all.  We develop natively for each platform, and release at the speeds of those development processes--with features generally "leap frogging" one over the other as one team tests out a new feature while the other is developing something else.  Here's an example of non Android bias--as you may recall, when Skitch joined the family we released an Android version the same day we announced, and it was months later (don't recall the span of time) before iPad came out, and even more months after that before an iPhone version came out (which is super-awesome btw).

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't skitch already out for android? I mean it wasn't anything to really re-develop, Evernote just acquired it. I don't think that's a good example. But good to know its in the works... still would be nice to know what's happening. It's not like were a major corporation (yes I just added my name to the EN family :P)

@Gbarry - while I appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge this thread, personally, I find your response to be an attempt at placation rather than an attempt to provide useful information.  I understand that it is typically Evernote's policy to not discuss ETA's, etc....but the fact remains that it has been almost a year since your first acknowledgement that this is in developement.  For this much time to pass with basically nothing to report tells me that while it may be "in development," it certainly isn't a priority.  I worked in the valley for years...there isn't one startup that I know of who would find acceptable the timeline that this project seems to have taken.  "In development" means a lot of things....it could simply be an idea that "someday" you'd like to bring to market versus something where all resources are being thrown at it in order to bring it to market as expeditiously as possible.

There seems to be this ambivalence on the part of Evernote for this specific product....the longer it continues, the more customers that you are going to lose.  Somehow I can't imagine google or any other technology company in the valley taking this much time on any of their products...particularly one that only needs to be ported to a new OS. 

Gbarry- 

Thanks for replying.. im sure thousands of android users appreciate hearing this is still going to happen. Do the large crowd of a favor and do a little cubicle jumping now and let the "insiders" know where banging at the doors.

as for me... for now ill hold on to my subscription. but ive gone through an entire years premium subscription waiting for this to become available.... take that $50 dollars and wave it in some developers face for Jebuz Sake

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't skitch already out for android? I mean it wasn't anything to really re-develop, Evernote just acquired it. I don't think that's a good example. But good to know its in the works... still would be nice to know what's happening. It's not like were a major corporation (yes I just added my name to the EN family :P)

Skitch was out for the Mac for years (including public beta) before acquisition. We worked very hard to get Skitch for Android ready with the support of Evernote for our public announcement. Of course, Skitch now is available on Android, iOS, Mac, Windows, Win8. Some features are more technically challenging on some platforms than others - PDF for example is particularly well supported in Apple platforms which means we can get that out into peoples hands sooner. All our Skitch teams are working really hard to build PDF support out as soon as possible. :-)

Actually, Skitch Android wasn't available.  (EDIT: See Keith's statement above).  At any rate, I have other examples of Android leading the way--like voice to text.  As far as knowing more, there's really not much I can give you in terms of ETAs, and that's the big one.

@Gbarry - while I appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge this thread, personally, I find your response to be an attempt at placation rather than an attempt to provide useful information.  I understand that it is typically Evernote's policy to not discuss ETA's, etc....but the fact remains that it has been almost a year since your first acknowledgement that this is in developement.

There seems to be this ambivalence on the part of Evernote for this specific product....the longer it continues, the more customers that you are going to lose.  Somehow I can't imagine google or any other technology company in the valley taking this much time on any of their products...particularly one that only needs to be ported to a new OS.

We don't port apps--we develop from the ground up, so it's going to take time. We also don't pull resources from the main Android team--we have to pull together a development team to make it happen, then proceed from there. And taking our own history into account, this actually isn't unheard of. Skitch for iPhone took quite awhile post acquisition. I'm pretty sure it was September 2012 when Skitch for iPhone/Touch hit the stores, and that was a little over a year after our first Trunk Conference. Building good things takes time.

Thanks for replying.. im sure thousands of android users appreciate hearing this is still going to happen. Do the large crowd of a favor and do a little cubicle jumping now and let the "insiders" know where banging at the doors.

as for me... for now ill hold on to my subscription. but ive gone through an entire years premium subscription waiting for this to become available.... take that $50 dollars and wave it in some developers face for Jebuz Sake

Ben (the guy that wrote the original Penultimate) and the team are definitely well aware. But for kicks, I'll reflag this thread for him :)

Archived