(Archived) Screenshots in .jpg?

David Varela

Hello all,

I use evernote a lot for work and one of the major things I use is screenshots. I was wondering if I could change the format screenshots are taken. Currently it defaults to .png. However, these are often too large in size and I have to open in paint to save in .jpg. Any way to avoid the extra step? Also, I think exporting the pictures from Evernote could be easier.

Much thanks and awesome product :P

-David

• Level 5*

Hi David, welcome to the Forums.

I'm a little confused - how do you get your screenshots? Are we talking Windows desktop here, or browser window shots?

If the picture files are too large, you could try lowering the quality of your screenshot or reducing the physical size - you'd have to check the settings of your screengrab software for that.

You can easily convert PNG to JPG with a free utility - search for "file format" or "file format converter" for suggestions. I use XnView which seems pretty reliable. It will also change the size of the image or restrict the number of colours used which can be helpful.

• Level 5*

Hi David, welcome to the Forums.

I'm a little confused - how do you get your screenshots? Are we talking Windows desktop here, or browser window shots?

I think David is using the Evernote screen capture tool. AFAIK, EN does NOT provide any options for file type or resolution.

David, if you want more control, you will need to use a 3rd party screen capture tool. I've used SnagIT for years, and love it.

But there are many other choices. I'm sure a Google will provide lots of choices.

• Level 5*

If you start a screenshot (Win+PrtScn), and before you let up the mouse button, hold down the Shift key, Evernote will save the screen shot to the desktop, as a .png file. I don't know of any way to change the save format. If you want .jpg files, you'll need to do as gazumped suggests, and use a format converter or picture editor.

Thank you all for the suggestions. Yes I am using the windows app and the screenclip option. When talking about size I meant in Mb/Kbs not resolution. Often I have to upload the screenshots to a company server to post them in our site and this has a limitation of 150kb. I wish evernote could allow you to change the format as PNGs are heavier.

@Jefito Thank you for the tip! Much easier than saving attachments in evernote! Something else I found new is that instead of holding Shift you hold control it copies it to clipboard! :D

• Level 5*
Something else I found new is that instead of holding Shift you hold control it copies it to clipboard! :D

Yep, that's a handy one. I use it all the time.

• Level 5

If you start a screenshot (Win+PrtScn), and before you let up the mouse button, hold down the Shift key, Evernote will save the screen shot to the desktop, as a .png file. I don't know of any way to change the save format. If you want .jpg files, you'll need to do as gazumped suggests, and use a format converter or picture editor.

HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/TrayApplet/ScreenClipperFileName specifies clipper file name which is set by default to "ScreenClip.png". If you change it to "ScreenClip.jpg" Evernote will save screen shots as JPEG's. You can also specify path and Evernote will save screen shots into the specified path. If you add this path to Tools/Folder Import, your JPEG screen shots will be automatically imported as notes. A little convoluted, but works.

/Peter

Peter is correct--I found that out yesterday when I was trying to attach an image for this forum. As a png, the image was 905kb, too large for the 500kb limit. When I changed the screen clip to a jpeg, it was 355kb.

Thanks for the tip about the control and (Win+PrtScn) tip!!! I've always done just a regular print screen and crop down the image within my email. Awesome!! When I dragged the outline of what I wanted to clip with my mouse and left button still held down, when you press shift the words "to desktop" show up next to the clip dimensions in pixels and when you press control, the words "to clipboard" show up. Cool!!

• Level 5*

Just noted in another thread that I wasn't aware of the screenshot feature at all until these questions popped up.. It does seem a bit chaotic with different combinations of keyboard keys, registry keys and sheer blind luck producing different outcomes. Surely this should be tidied up with 1) a toolbar button/ option and 2) some related file type options?

I probably read about this a couple of years ago and forgot all about it, and without any visual cues to remind me I've remained happy ignorance until now. And with my multi-screen setup in Windows Vista, the Win key + prtscrn gives me a floating crosshair that completely messes up my display with a trail of images. This isn't a feature I'd use even if it worked, but come on guys - if you're going to give us a utility, at least dignify it with a toolbar toggle.

• Level 5*

Dang, Peter. Evernoted. I need to back through all of your posts to pull out all of the nuggets like this that I have missed. Thanks.

• Level 5*

HKCU/Software/Evernote/Evernote/TrayApplet/ScreenClipperFileName specifies clipper file name which is set by default to "ScreenClip.png". If you change it to "ScreenClip.jpg" Evernote will save screen shots as JPEG's. You can also specify path and Evernote will save screen shots into the specified path. If you add this path to Tools/Folder Import, your JPEG screen shots will be automatically imported as notes. A little convoluted, but works.

/Peter

Thanks for sharing this option with us.

Do you expect this option to be added to the UI Options page, and also implemented in EN Mac?

Dang, Peter. Evernoted. I need to back through all of your posts to pull out all of the nuggets like this that I have missed. Thanks.

Search for "HKCU" and you will find lots of nuggets.

• Level 5*
Search for "HKCU" and you will find lots of nuggets.

:) Yep, did that, right after I posted to Peter. Then Evernoted the ones that I had missed.

As we are in the EN for Windows area of the forum, I want to mention the Win7 snipping tool as an additional solution. I registered a hotkey for this tool and do all my snips on the desktop via the Windows snipping tool. After snipping, you have all kinds of options including saving to file (various formats), to clipboard, to make annotations etc.

/Peter

I'm confuse, how do I do this? Saving Screnshots as jpg is a major for me >_<!

EDIT: Nvm i figure out how to edit the registry :D

@Peter: Though, I can't figure out how to edit the path. Can you post the path for that like you did for the file name?

Thanks ya'll

• Level 5*
@Peter: Though, I can't figure out how to edit the path. Can you post the path for that like you did for the file name?

It's up to you to type in the path name, before the "ScreenClip.jpg" part, if I understand Peter correctly. For example: "C:\Evernote\ScreenClip.jpg"

It's up to you to type in the path name, before the "ScreenClip.jpg" part, if I understand Peter correctly. For example: "C:\Evernote\ScreenClip.jpg"

I was thinking he said I could decide where the screenshots go. like in a folder within my desktop.

• Level 5*

I was thinking he said I could decide where the screenshots go. like in a folder within my desktop.

Right, and that's how you do it; type it into the same registry entry.

• 1 year later...

/Peter

I'm confuse, how do I do this? Saving Screnshots as jpg is a major for me >_<!

EDIT: Nvm i figure out how to edit the registry :D

Thanks ya'll

I am using Evernote windows desktop 5.0  have things change?  

I really want to screen capture as Jpg really baddly I will have thousands of notes from screen capture and the savings in file size will be huge

I'm an idiot so this is where I am right now

1)  to get to the HKCU  (which I figured out is HKEY_CURRENT_USER for windows 7)  I open that using the regetit.exe program I found in  microspft help. Fired that up and I see it.

2) so I see the HKEY_CURRENT_USER folder and I start to dig down /Evernote/Evernote/TrayApplet/

3) Opening the TrayApplet folder gets me 2 files -- one is "(Default)" the other is "OpenEvernoteParam"

. . . .

so now what do I do?

Archived