(Archived) REQUEST: Larger number of notebooks

A max of 250 notebooks is a majour limitation for me. Why don't you create a more expensive subscription tier which allows unlimited number of notebooks and notes ?

Using tags is not a very efficient way to organize docs as with notebooks. Your program is very very good, excelent, but it has to have less constraints regarding larger data limitations ! Please let me know if an increase in allowed data is in your plans or not ? If not i will have to migrate back to google docs and/or dropbox, which do not have the same functionality as evernote but give me unlimited space to grow.

Thanks for your help.

Rms

• Level 5*

A max of 250 notebooks is a majour limitation for me. Why don't you create a more expensive subscription tier which allows unlimited number of notebooks and notes ?

Using tags is not a very efficient way to organize docs as with notebooks. Your program is very very good, excelent, but it has to have less constraints regarding larger data limitations ! Please let me know if an increase in allowed data is in your plans or not ? If not i will have to migrate back to google docs and/or dropbox, which do not have the same functionality as evernote but give me unlimited space to grow.

Thanks for your help.

Rms

hi rms. welcome to the forums!

you have addressed a favorite topic here: the old debate between tags and notebooks. personally, i am in the tag camp, but you'll find plenty of users who agree with you! here is one of the recent threads, but searching around here or on google will turn up plenty more.

http://discussion.ev...ebooks-vs-tags/

you have also addressed a new topic: competition from google drive and others. it is heating up! actually, evernote is the only application i know of that has unlimited space to grow (assuming you live long enough to take advantage of it). storage capacity in evernote is cumulative (up to 2gb per month for premium members), and if you ever decide to go back to a free account, you get to keep all of that space. no one else does that.

but, of course, with up to 1tb from google, if you are willing to pay, you'll stay ahead of even the oldest evernote user :)

if lots of large files are your thing, i imagine google drive is for you. i am sure evernote's storage limits will increase (following past precedent), but probably not at the rate of the google goliath down the street.

• Level 5*
Using tags is not a very efficient way to organize docs as with notebooks.

This is a debatable point. There's already plenty of discussion here on how to organize your notes using tags and/or notebooks; if you want to pursue it, any number of people here can give you guidance.

This is a debatable point. There's already plenty of discussion here on how to organize your notes using tags and/or notebooks; if you want to pursue it, any number of people here can give you guidance.

Agree w/Jeff. I'd guess many/most of us came to the EN table thinking of this as a limitation. When I first started using EN, we were limited to 100 notebooks. But after reading many of the posts regarding tags, I finally got it & was shocked when I finally realized that tags made so much more sense than notebooks/folders.

• Level 5*

Agree w/Jeff. I'd guess many/most of us came to the EN table thinking of this as a limitation. When I first started using EN, we were limited to 100 notebooks. But after reading many of the posts regarding tags, I finally got it & was shocked when I finally realized that tags made so much more sense than notebooks/folders.

Yep. I have one notebook in my main account. Admittedly, I am a bit weird (see the shared notebook in my signature). But, I do wonder why Evernote has any limit at all. I imagine there is some reason. I wouldn't mind if they increased the limit, but frankly, I think tags are a lot more useful.

I've also got one notebook (besides shared notebooks) for 9,800 notes now. Tags and keywords do everything I want. I find notebooks very restricting, since there's no way to search in two notebooks at a time, or to restrict one notebook from a search (both of which can be done with tags).

• Level 5*

I've also got one notebook (besides shared notebooks) for 9,800 notes now. Tags and keywords do everything I want. I find notebooks very restricting, since there's no way to search in two notebooks at a time, or to restrict one notebook from a search (both of which can be done with tags).

i will say that i am currently conducting an experiment. i am going to try and split up my files into notebook in order to see if this speeds up my account. this was suggested by another user. we'll see. as you can imagine (if you remember how i organize) it is pretty simple: i have a folder for each month (11-12, 12-01, 12-02, and so forth). if it doesn't make things faster (and potentially make it easier for me to use offline notebooks, because the download speeds are too slow now to do it with one notebook), then i'll go back. i'll need more than 250 notebooks after 20 years or so :)

i will say that i am currently conducting an experiment. i am going to try and split up my files into notebook in order to see if this speeds up my account. this was suggested by another user. we'll see. as you can imagine (if you remember how i organize) it is pretty simple: i have a folder for each month (11-12, 12-01, 12-02, and so forth). if it doesn't make things faster (and potentially make it easier for me to use offline notebooks, because the download speeds are too slow now to do it with one notebook), then i'll go back. i'll need more than 250 notebooks after 20 years or so :)

I might try that—if it weren't for the restrictions on notebook searches. Sometimes I need to search just my non-shared notebook, and I wouldn't be able to do that if it were divided into multiple notebooks.

• Level 5*

I might try that—if it weren't for the restrictions on notebook searches. Sometimes I need to search just my non-shared notebook, and I wouldn't be able to do that if it were divided into multiple notebooks.

i don't know yet how i feel about this. it seems like too much trouble, and doesn't really help my organization. i probably won't be using the notebooks for search filtering, because my notes are already chronological. if i speeds things up, or makes the offline stuff work, then it will be worth it.

• Level 5*

Currently experimenting with the notion of temporarily moving current projects, notes, etc. to a notebook that is marked as offline on my Kindle Fire. As long as my saved searches are set up correctly, it doesn't really matter what notebooks the notes are in.

• Level 5*

so far, it doesn't seem faster to separate my notes into notebooks. the ipad and iphone both take ain inordinate amount of time displaying text notes. searches still take a long time to complete. on th mac, there doesn't seem to be a difference either.

• 8 months later...

I realize this is a dormant thread, but I, too, would like more notebooks and have the 100,000 notes limit lifted. I'm a professor and I have all my assignments scanned (thank you Scansnap S1300i), and then placed in notebooks for the different courses which become archives after I'm done teaching that particular course. I know I could use tags, but I would rather group all my past courses by notebook.

In general, I would love EN to simply lift most limits. I appreciate the power of tags. It would be nice to pull students by name or course. That's getting into relational database country, though.

Archived