Wish List: Commenting on Notes

RAAlfieri

It would be fantastic to enable improved collaboration by adding a comments feature. Using Evernote to store information to share with others is a great feature. Enabling others to comment or vote on notes would be even better. Think about a group looking for a place to vacation, or a wedding couple clipping possible ring designs. There are endless applications.

Being able to comment and vote would be a great step forward in providing better collaboration.

Regards, Rob

• Level 5*

If you can edit a shared note, then the note itself can just contain a comment area, or a place to put 'votes' that you can tally.

• Level 5

There might be something coming down the road soon.

Evernote will launch a business program in the coming months. Until now, Evernote mainly targeted individuals and schools, but that is going to change. "We are launching an official business program," Evernote CEO Phil Libin said.

and some interesting promises:

In addition to a business version of Evernote, the company is planning to launch several major versions of its products in the next couple of months, or around a conference that is going to be held at the end of the summer, he said. There are going to be big redesigns and a focus on sharing, he added.

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9226665/Evernote_to_launch_tool_for_business

• 4 weeks later...
  • Level 5

Wow this is a great idea. If EN released something like this that would be incentive enough for me to jump back on as a paid user. I would hope that in the UI there would be a way to sort notes by "most recently commented" or a way to see a summary of new comments, with links to the actual notes. E.g. some type of dual-pane / split screen view where there is a list of comments on the left or top, and as you click through the comment list, the actual note displays in the other pane.

The way I imagine myself using this is for technical documents where I have documented a process for my team. As the curator, I do not want the other members directly editing the contents of those "kb articles" let's call them, but I would love for them to be able to make a comment, for example

6/7/2012 08:41AM John: hey, you missed a key step, after untarring the file, you need to set perms on the db.conf file via chmod 660 /etc/foo/bar/db.conf

So as I'm going through these comments I could merge in the suggested changes and then remove or somehow "mark as read" the comments

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Discussion on this matter seems to have come to a standstill. Not good for me (us). As we use evernote to share and collaborate we must be able to see an indicator visually on each and every note that has been comented on/changed by s/o else and not yet reviewed by the currently logged in user. A Function like Commenting on Blogs etc. would make this quite a snapp. A Indicator saying "look here, this has been changed since you last read it" at each note would be additionaly nice and a good workaround until a commenting function is available.

• Level 5*

Just because discussion has slowed in the forums doesn't mean that it has behind the doors at Evernote. I'm guessing that there's a keen interest in making collaborative note sharing a lot better than it is today. Just when or how that shakes out is anybody's guess, but the forums are not necessarily a great barometer of Evernote's intentions.

• 3 months later...

Until evernote does this on their own, I've put together this: http://everdisq.net

Thanks, ptone! My only concern is privacy. Would the best way to create a secure instance of EverDisq to install it on our own restricted-access site? I know enough about development to get myself in trouble, so it'd be great if your GitHub repository had instructions for installing another instance.

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1 on a commenting system. That is the number 1 request from our company who all use EN regularly. Commenting inside the note is not a good solution. Having all comments in a pop-over or sidebar would be perfect.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

+1 I agree. I can't believe this discussion has been going on for two years and no changes have come about. 

At the very least, notebooks which are or become "shared" notebooks, should have a comment or discussion box. This is in addition to the comment field that the filer of the note may choose to use on the WebClipper.

I had previously downloaded Evernote when looking for a solution to organize my own notes and project files and found it inadequate. I used to use a FREE tool originally called Kibits, renamed to Collaborate. It was the best - so much so that Cisco outright bought it and pretty much killed it so businesses would have to use a paid for Cisco collaboration solution. I wonder if Evernote Corporation has strategically chosen to not include such a commenting feature. 

• Level 5*

I think it always comes down to this. Evernote is a company with limited resources and as such makes decisions on priorities. It has a number of different inputs that help to create this priority list, very few of these are part of a large conspiracy. Most are focused on the research that they do on their user base and in Evernote's case a lot is based on their own use of the software.

So, don't be surprised that after 2 years your favourite feature hasn't been developed. It might never be or it might be on the roadmap and appear at some point in the future. I use Evernote because of how it works now, it's really the only bit I have even the slightest control over.

I think this should be done ASAP. 

Even for a single user this should be helpful to add my own personal thoughts regarding aspects from minutes, notes on talks that i'm making etc... just adds another layer which is most helpful. Similar to Google Docs would be ideal

• 3 months later...

Users seeking this feature might want to check out Azendoo. I tried it out last year and was very impressed. Ultimately, it was overkill for my needs so I didn't stay with it.

Azendoo is a web based program so works on all platforms and is free upto a limited number of users. Below I've provided a link to it in the Evernote App Centre and copied the overview blurb.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

OVERVIEW

Azendoo is a collaborative task and project management app that lets you bring your Evernote notes at the heart of collaboration to boost work execution and communicate more intuitively!

Features:

+ Easily share both your Evernote notes directly in Azendoo discussions and tasks,

+ Turn Evernote checkboxes into rich actionable Azendoo tasks and keeps them in sync, both ways,

+ Import Evernote task lists as Azendoo project templates,

+ Save your Azendoo tasks lists to Evernote.

Azendoo is free and unlimited.

APP CENTRE LINK:

http://appcenter.evernote.com/app/azendoo/web-apps/

Even for a single user this should be helpful to add my own personal thoughts regarding aspects from minutes, notes on talks that i'm making etc... just adds another layer which is most helpful. Similar to Google Docs would be ideal

• 1 month later...

After years of dragging my feet, I just started accepting the fact that Evernote would be beneficial for me to use regularly because of all of the features and since it has been around a long time and many seem to like it. Well, the first thing I did was save a web article and wanted to make a comment on it based on my personal experience with the content. 

Nope, not a feature and has been requested for years. I don't understand it.  

Companies should be figuring out things you want that you didn't know you did, not avoiding requests that have been around for years.

Anyone know if Pocket has this feature?.. time to go looking for the next best thing. I wanted to like Evernote.

• Level 5*

Evernote does not release much (if any) information about what features they may be adding (or taking away) from Evernote. Just because people want it, however, doesn't make it feasible across all platforms that EN seems to want to do as much as possible. Ultimately, everyone (including EN developers) should recognize that there may be some features that are simply not possible because of the complexities of the different operating systems. OTOH, operating systems change so what may not be possible today may become possible in a few months. Having said all that, of course, the Windows Phone version offers nothing like the range of features seen in the desktop version, so the rules do not apply always. Again, getting the developers to release a road-map is an impossibility, it seems.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

+1

Dropbox even announced this feature this week. Non-users can leave comments too. It's a great feature and one sorely missing here. As EN continues to emphasize collaboration, I think adding a comments feature is an absolute must - especially for instances in which you don't want the reviewer to be able to edit a note.

• 2 months later...

Would be great. Evernote is a great tool, but not yet really collaborative :-)

Archived