(Archived) HOWTO: Just take a simple note with the web clipper

Hello,

I just might be too dumb or blind to find a solution for this:

I tried several ways, but I wasn't able to just take a simple note with the web clipper. Either it took the URL or the whole article or a part of it. All I want is to open a small windows right from my browser (not the web version of evernote) and type in some notes and save it. Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks for any help!

Nadir.

The web clipper is for well, clipping from a web page. It's not for creating notes that may or may not have anything to do with the particular web page you're viewing at the time.

If you're trying to do the former, what clipper are you using? I know in the Chrome clipper, you can select in the lower right to clip just the URL, article or entire page.

If you're trying to do the latter, IIRC, ctrl n opens a new, blank note when the Windows client is running. I think if you're using only the web client, there may not be any hot key to start a new note while viewing another web page. IOW, if you're only using the web client & want to start a new note, I think you have to be on the browser tab accessing the web client.

That is exactly what I supposed since all my tries to take a simple note on web clipper (in FF and Chrome) did not give me the result I wanted. I was hoping to be able to just use my browser for all note taking without the need of installing the desktop client or open the web client. But it seems I have no choice ;-).

Thanks for the answer.

If you really want to stay in your browser and use the clipper, you can also clip just a URL, add the real note contents in the Comments field of the clipper, and then remove/ignore the URL in the future. This workaround isn't exactly what you want, but then, as BNF said, the clipper isn't built to do what you want.

In case you're using Mac and don't know about this keyboard shortcut: Control+Cmd+N opens a new note in Evernote, regardless of which application(s) you have open.

Keep in my mind that there's a bug in the Chrome clipper right now that's stripping comments out of URL clips. Wouldn't want the OP to go to through the trouble of using that workaround only to find all their comments stripped out.

Either way, I agree that the desktop client is best for this.

• Level 5*

Hello,

I just might be too dumb or blind to find a solution for this:

I tried several ways, but I wasn't able to just take a simple note with the web clipper. Either it took the URL or the whole article or a part of it. All I want is to open a small windows right from my browser (not the web version of evernote) and type in some notes and save it. Is there a way to do this ?

Thanks for any help!

Nadir.

hi. i can see why you might think a browser extension would give you this functionality. it certainly does seem logical! i prefer the desktop clients, but i don't think your options are so limited. in fact, evernote gives you a uniquely wide range of options.

you could keep the web client open in another tab, open it another window that displays right next to your browser one for convenient note-taking, use your email client to email notes, email a link to the website whenever you want to take a note and send that to your evernote account, etc., etc.

@peterfmartin & @GrumpyMonkey : That is what I am doing as a workaround (my main browser is FF, so I did not come across the bug yet, thanks for letting me know), not the smooth way, but a way. I was using springpad til I switched back to evernote again and so I am spoiled with the FF addon of springpad. In any way, the option to take a note directly would be a nice-to-have but still not a reason to change my decision to use evernote again.

@tardis: I am using the desktop client at home but do not want to install it at work. So a browser based solution is the best, at least at work.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Archived