(Archived) HOWTO: Highlight [SUPPORTED]

carlston

Hi all. Apologies if this has been asked before, but I'm trying to highlight some of the text I've written in Evernote (for mac). I'm revising for exams and I find it's much better when I can highlight specific words.

So far, all I can do is change the colours of the text, but I don't really want to have bright yellow or green text, just a bright green background behind particular words.

I've noticed that if I write text in Microsoft Word, and highlight it there, I can coy/paste it in to Evernote and the highlight shows.

Is there a really simple way to do this, that I'm overlooking?

Ideally, I'd like a quick keyboard shortcut that would allow me to highlight a word I've just typed, and press (CMD & something else) to highlight it, for instance.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Carlston

I'm using Evernote for mac on a mid-2010 intel iMac

EDIT: I've just seen a request sent out for a highlight, which was responded with "we're onto it", but this was way back in 2009. Surely some progress has been made in the 3 years since the first request.

• Level 5*

This functionality does not currently exist - if you search the forum you will see there is lots of discussion about it.

Before you ask ( :)) Evernote don't publicise their roadmap or release dates.

Thank you, I think I've just found the perfect solution actually.

Google Docs :)

I'm surprised it's not been incorporated already. I regard Evernote to be the best at what it does, although I understand it's not part of HTML, I would have thought these guys would be able to magic up something awesome to include highlighting.

Thanks for the quick response.

I understand it's not part of HTML

html does support highlighting using the following markup:

<span style="background color: #FFCCFF">this text is highlighted</span>

but there's no true html editor in Evernote and because notes are stored in a database (not flat files) there's no way to edit them directly.

It's utterly bewildering to my why they wouldn't have highlight. This is a note taking application, right?

Evernote is so clever in so many ways, I don't understand why they can't have the basic formatting options the GMail has. We're not talking rocket science here.

The other one that absolutely bewilders me is a lack of an indent feature, at least on the Mac client.

I just don't understand.

• Level 5*

Many things in life are puzzling, but I consider Evernote to be primarily a note storage and retrieval application more than a note taking application. That being said, note highlighting is something that a lot of folks want, and hopefully we on the non-iOS clients will get it someday.

It's utterly bewildering to my why they wouldn't have highlight. This is a note taking application, right?

Evernote is so clever in so many ways, I don't understand why they can't have the basic formatting options the GMail has. We're not talking rocket science here.

The other one that absolutely bewilders me is a lack of an indent feature, at least on the Mac client.

I just don't understand.

Yes, well, many people have their version of "this should be basic to EN" feature(s). Whether it's highlighting, image rotating, image cropping, tables, blah, blah, blah. IMO, EN is pretty fantastic & there really isn't any other app that comes close. So if I have to live without some feature or two that would be helpful to me, so be it. I find it not productive to try to second guess why something I may think should be basic does not exist.

And like Jeff said, IME, EN is an information collection, organization & retrieval tool more than a "simple" note taking app.

• Level 5*

Thank you, I think I've just found the perfect solution actually.

Google Docs :)

I'm surprised it's not been incorporated already. I regard Evernote to be the best at what it does, although I understand it's not part of HTML, I would have thought these guys would be able to magic up something awesome to include highlighting.

Thanks for the quick response.

hi. welcome to the forums.

glad to hear you found a solution. i think evernote will likely add this feature at some time in the future. it is currently supported on the ios platform. be sure to check back :)

i consider evernote to be mainly for notetaking (notepad lacks this feature and i'd say it has been my most dependable software for notetaking over the years, and its real plaintext remains a feature i'd like to see in evernote someday).

without a convenient and offline way to view, edit, and store them, i am afraid gdocs isn't a good fit for me. great for some, and hopefully it will encourage evernote to strenghen its notetaking functions. in general, though, i see them as two considerably different applications. i hope evernote doesn't get pulled into the quagmire of word processing/spreadsheet/presentation software.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

There is a workaround that will allow you to do a kind of highlighting on the Mac if you really, really want to do it.

Select text and in the menu choose Format -> Fonts -> Do*****ent Color (the little icon on the top right). It will look just like highlighting. However, if I remember correctly, it is not actually highlighting, and platforms like the iPad will not recognize it. Of course, this is ironic, given the fact that the iPad has a highlighter :)

Add indents to Mac Evernote - yes please! I notice that the indent function is now working in iPhone Evernote

And add to that request:

1. The pre-set formatting on the iphone (sub-section, blockquote etc). It would be great to have the same preset styles on the Mac. Not only are they handy, it would help keep things consistant with notes partly written on each. (at the moment the sub section formatting on the iphone is 20pt font, but strangely i can only select 18 or 22 on the Mac )

2. Highlighting on the Mac version similar to the iOS

Other than that - awesome product!!

• 4 weeks later...

And this, folks, is why I currently refuse to pay for this application.

This is a *FUNDAMENTAL* part of any note taking application. I'm literally *trying* to get myself to use Evernote more, but I usually find myself reverting back to simple Google Docs because of Evernote's lack of very very very basic features.

• 2 weeks later...

I came to this thread by googling for new features of Evernote. I was hoping that there WERE new features, but seems I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to use Evernote since the beginning from time to time and EVERY time I fail. It seems like Evernote marketing team tells us what they want to see in the software instead of what it's really is.

Let me tell you that Evernote LACKS almost ANY basic feature that your many competitors have. The only upside of Evernote is multiplatform, but it's really not enough. Every time I try to use it (since year 2008 more or less) I FAIL, because there's nothing in Evernote for really taking notes. Evernote is now a Wordpad with syncing capabilities and basic structure handling. And nothing changes. Let me tell you which FUNDAMENTAL features I need in Evernote:

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

2) Notebook password protection (not just the text - I need a whole Notebook that is password protected and have every new note in it protected)

3) Good Table engine with resizing/moving columns, rows possibilities,

4) Tagging text inside Notebooks

5) Good drawing/painting/marking with wacom/iPad engine. Penultimate on iPad? It sucks, guys. You cannot even zoom in to what you have drawn! 7notes? It sucks even much than Penultimate. And I need drawing capabilities on Desktop!

6) Sorting notes in custom order! I want my "IMPORTANT" note to be on the top of the list!!!! What's wrong, why I can't do this?

7) If you're listening to users (I'm not sure, these requests pop up on the forums but never get embodied) I can tell you much more

These features are being widely discussed thru YEARS on Evernote and other forums and never get implemented. Instead of developing, Evernote team implements some very strange and subtle useless features.

Just take a look at OneNote how it is brilliantly made. Evernote is now light years behind OneNote (and many other competitors) in terms of text editing and organizing thoughts/texts/clips/anything.

I came to this thread by googling for new features of Evernote. I was hoping that there WERE new features, but seems I'm mistaken.

I'm trying to use Evernote since the beginning from time to time and EVERY time I fail. It seems like Evernote marketing team tells us what they want to see in the software instead of what it's really is.

Let me tell you that Evernote LACKS almost ANY basic feature that your many competitors have. The only upside of Evernote is multiplatform, but it's really not enough. Every time I try to use it (since year 2008 more or less) I FAIL, because there's nothing in Evernote for really taking notes. Evernote is now a Wordpad with syncing capabilities and basic structure handling. And nothing changes. Let me tell you which FUNDAMENTAL features I need in Evernote:

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

2) Notebook password protection (not just the text - I need a whole Notebook that is password protected and have every new note in it protected)

5) Good drawing/painting/marking with wacom/iPad engine. Penultimate on iPad? It sucks, guys. You cannot even zoom in to what you have drawn! 7notes? It sucks even much than Penultimate. And I need drawing capabilities on Desktop!

6) Sorting notes in custom order! I want my "IMPORTANT" note to be on the top of the list!!!! What's wrong, why I can't do this?

7) If you're listening to users (I'm not sure, these requests pop up on the forums but never get embodied) I can tell you much more

These features are being widely discussed thru YEARS on Evernote and other forums and never get implemented. Instead of developing, Evernote team implements some very strange and subtle useless features.

Just take a look at OneNote how it is brilliantly made. Evernote is now light years behind OneNote (and many other competitors) in terms of text editing and organizing thoughts/texts/clips/anything.

Thanks for posting and giving feedback. It is unfortunate that you find our recent improvements to be strange, subtle and useless. Many of them are direct responses to requests from the forum. If you have more feedback, we're happy to hear it.

Overall, most of your requests are fairly difficult to implement from either technical, design or options-overload perspective. Not that they aren't do-able or that we won't ever do them

• Level 5*

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

So just out of interest, why don't you stick with OneNote?

Thanks for posting and giving feedback. It is unfortunate that you find our recent improvements to be strange, subtle and useless. Many of them are direct responses to requests from the forum. If you have more feedback, we're happy to hear it.

Overall, most of your requests are fairly difficult to implement from either technical, design or options-overload perspective. Not that they aren't do-able or that we won't ever do them

Sure thing! Now I see, and it's unfortunate, you won't be implementing anything in the upcoming years :( Thank you for admitting that.

That's why I'm stuck with Springpad+Notability waiting for a good client for OneNote for iPad with sync (and it's coming as I'm beta-testing it).

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

So just out of interest, why don't you stick with OneNote?

Agree with Metrodon. I can never figure out why people who have found something that works for them but feel the need to go to another similar product & criticize them for not having the things the other app has. If you find something that works for you, great! Use it. I've always maintained EN & ON, while similar, are still very different. ON I use occasionally. EN, I use every hour I'm on the computer/iPhone/iPad. If you like chocolate, then great! But don't criticize vanilla for not being more like chocolate.

• Level 5*

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

Hi Ghostman. Welcome to the forums!

Regarding your claims about misleading marketing by Evernote and the developers' lack of effort to meet user needs, I strongly disagree, but I don't think there is much point in taking the conversation there. Personally, I generally don't like to begin conversations by ridiculing something a team has literally spent years of sleepless nights to develop. And, considering the fact that it is one of the most widely used apps in the world in any category, it is difficult to take your criticism seriously in this regard.

Unfortunately, your tone detracts from a post that offers some nice suggestions. To your specific points:

1) Highlighting

- It is probably coming, because Evernote has rolled it out on iOS. You've probably already noticed that OneNote doesn't even exist on the Mac or iPad, and its Android app is substandard, so despite your criticism about Evernote lagging behind, I guess Evernote has a leg up even without this feature. There is always room for improvement, but I think your depiction is a bit harsh.

2) Notebook password protection

- It would be nice, and I have requested it on these forums as well. I don't consider this to be necessary, though.

3) More table features

- It would be nice, but I think there are lots of other more more interesting improvements to which I would rather see the team devote its resources. Again, I don't consider it to be necessary.

4) Tagging text inside of notebooks

- I don't know what this means, so I guess I don't miss it.

5) Drawing

- A zoom feature on Penultimate would be nice, and it is essential for me on the iPad, so I tend to use other apps. I am looking forward to the next Penultimate update, and expect to see this added. As for drawing on the desktop, it would be nice, but it is yet another feature I have not missed.

6) Custom sorting of notes

- This would be nice, and this is one feature I definitely do miss / want. Listen to Evernote Podcast #12 (26:41-28:05) if you want to learn more about why the app is like this. You may not agree, but it makes sense, and I certainly do not fault them for making this design choice. Perhaps they will be able to add manual sorting in the future.

7) Listening to users

- They do it all the time. There is even an employee in this thread who has joined the conversation.

• 3 weeks later...

From a complete newbie,--just used EN today, so please excuse--but wouldn't making your note in MS Word first and then pasting into EN solve the problem(s) discussed here? It appears that MS Word formatting (highlighting, shading, bordering) remains after pasting into EN.

I am missing anything?

From a complete newbie,--just used EN today, so please excuse--but wouldn't making your note in MS Word first and then pasting into EN solve the problem(s) discussed here? It appears that MS Word formatting (highlighting, shading, bordering) remains after pasting into EN.

I am missing anything?

1) It's inconvenient

2) It's slow (especially for big and complex notes)

3) It requires buying of a separate Word application (and on Mac MS Word is hell of a software)

We really need a built-in Evernote highlighting

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

1) Highlighting (oh yes)

It is little too obvious that you're a OneNote fan. There is nothing wrong with that. As others have pointed out, if it bodes well with you stick with it. Stop comparing. Anyways, couple of issues you've mentioned could be worked around with little effort. If not in the traditional way of organization as microsoft does it. But you can do it.

1. Highlighting text can be done using different colors for the text you need to highlight. You could use color codes to highlight information according to priority. People still use this approach while taking paper notes.

2. If you want to put important notes on top, just put into a notebook titled "important" or tag it important.

Although I would like to see a feature that does tagging text within the note. It helps in connecting different notes in a seamless fashion.

• 1 month later...

I am missing anything?

1) It's inconvenient

2) It's slow (especially for big and complex notes)

3) It requires buying of a separate Word application (and on Mac MS Word is hell of a software)

We really need a built-in Evernote highlighting

+10,000 on that.
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

And this, folks, is why I currently refuse to pay for this application.

This is a *FUNDAMENTAL* part of any note taking application. I'm literally *trying* to get myself to use Evernote more, but I usually find myself reverting back to simple Google Docs because of Evernote's lack of very very very basic features.

…and why I am regretting paying for the app. Frankly I'm stunned that it doesn't offer it, and regretful of the fact that I didn't research it more in depth before purchasing. To my defense, highlighting is such a basic function of any note-taking process IRL, it seemed it should and would be an integral and baseline offering for this Evernote experience. Frankly I find it a bit sad that it isn't.

As it stands, I'm planning on pasting my Evernote notes into Google Docs in order to have access to highlighting.

I figured out how to highlight on my Mac today.  It works, it is simple, but it is not the way the Mac interface is supposed to work.

Here's what I am doing:

1. I select the text I want highlighted.
  2. Format > Show Fonts.
  3. In the Fonts dialog, click the button for Document Color.  That opens the Color Palette.
  4. Click yellow (or whatever color to highlight with).  That changes both the background and the font; it should really only change the background.
  5. In the Fonts dialog, click the button for Text Color.
  6. In the Colors palette, click black.

The result is black text highlighted in yellow.  Steps 5 and 6 are nonstandard for the Mac environment and should not have to be done.  What is really needed is the standard OS X Inspector dialog.  But this meets my needs for now.  Hope this helps.

• Level 5*

Highlighting is on the way! Also, since Dave's post at the end of Feb, we now show clearly highlights in Evernote.

That's great, Jack -- so we'll take your highlighting, and you can have the Android's reminders, and I think we'll be getting somewhere. :)

• 1 month later...

I also wondered how to highlight text in Evernote on my Mac. The iOS apps have this little exclamation mark, but the Mac client doesn't. So, in search for an easy way to highlight text within EN on my Mac, I came across this thread. Good to see that I am not alone. And thank you, GrumpyMonkey, for you tip in posting #11. This works, and in my iPhone App it's shown properly. Hidden quite well, I must admit.

I do understand that Evernote doesn't want to overload on functions & features, and I am a great fan of this attitude. That said, wouldn't the addition of that little exclamation mark in the Mac app just optimize consistency throughout platforms? :)

Sorry, did't see that there was a second page when I posted my reply 10 mins ago.

So I am very glad to hear that highlighting is on the way (#32). And it's awesome to see that Evernote *is* indeed listening to their users. I love your app, it's becoming my no. 1 app on all of my devices  - and am gladly paying for it even though I wouldn't need Pro. :) So keep up your excellent work - and don't overload on features! ;)

I have to resist the push to just add more and more formatting options (be it indenting, highlighting, ...) to Evernote. Soon the editing experience in it will be comparable to a desktop publishing app similar to Word. And I really dislike that product - seriously who cares whether the left margin is 24mm or 25mm. Too much choice + (half-working) automation to try to fix that = mess. Also, it makes the rendering of notes on all supported devices more difficult (think responsive design).

Rather, just limit the options, use sane defaults and make notes look nice and readable from the get-go. The capabilities of (Multi)MarkDown should be more than enough. 

That said, I would buy highlighting if it brought along some other value along with it. An example of this would be to be able to quickly jump between highlighted portions of the note. And as Martin mentioned earlier, it should definitely be a semantic tag in ENML.

• 2 months later...

Archived