(Archived) HOWTO: Editing spreadsheets on iPad

ymenyn

Hi, I am very new to Evernote but think it is great so I would like to make the most of it. I use spreadsheets to keep my budgets on, I can view these on my iPad but was wondering if I could edit the spreadsheet on the iPad the same as I can on my laptop. I have hunted everywhere for an answer before writing this but don't seem to be able to find one. At the moment I am only using the free version but would gladly upgrade if it meant I would be able to edit the spreadsheets. If anyone could point me in the right direction to find the answer I would be very grateful. Many thanks in advance.

• Level 5*

hi. welcome to the forums! you won't find this talked about much because it is something that evernote does not do. evernote doesn't edit excel, word, etc. it only stores them. when you open the files on your laptop, you are using (perhaps, without your knowledge) microsoft office (or, whatever application you have installed) to do it. on the ipad, you probably don't have these installed, so you cannot edit the spreadsheets.

the solution? install an app and you can do it. there is only one that i know of, though, that can open the document, edit it, and save it in the same note on the ipad:

http://blog.evernote.com/2011/09/09/trunk-spotlight-quickoffice-pro-hd-lets-you-do-more-with-your-files-in-evernote-back-to-school-series/

If you're using a true spreadsheet (not an Evernote table), you will need a spreadsheet app. I use Quickoffice. But for iOS use, I think you're better served using something like Dropbox/Sugar Sync for your spreadsheet, rather than putting it into EN.

• Level 5*

If you're using a true spreadsheet (not an Evernote table), you will need a spreadsheet app. I use Quickoffice. But for iOS use, I think you're better served using something like Dropbox/Sugar Sync for your spreadsheet, rather than putting it into EN.

bnf brings up a good point. although you "can" edit things in evernote, it is generally best to do ongoing projects in something like dropbox (no upload limits and a greater choice on apps) and save the results when the project is finished in evernote (evernote cannot search excel files, so make sure to save it as a pdf). in concrete terms, this means i usually do my research and pre-writing in evernote, but the actual writing, formatting, etc. is done in excel or word as the final step.

• Level 5*

Thanks for your replies, you've certainly answered my question in a way i can understand, I think I'll stick to editing the spreadsheet on the laptop. Many thanks again.

glad we could help. if you have any problems or are looking for ideas on workflows, let us know! i am sure other users have posted somewhere on the forums as well about such issues.

Quickoffice HD as linked to by GrumpyMonkey allows you to edit the spreadsheet simply on an iPad.

I have a spreadsheet with camera club competitions which I used to fill in after a comp with the judges awards. It allows me to do this simply during the comp evening and allows me to save to same location assuming I have Internet access. Works very well.

Regards

Chris

• 1 year later...

I hope to add to this rather aged thread vs to begin anew.

So if I can not edit a spreadsheet in EN why should I move it from Dropbox where I have to edit the document on my PC for both EN and Dropbox if both media are view only. What is the benefit to EN? Is Quickoffice free and an iPhone friendly?

Archived