(Archived) BUG: PDFs not originally created to be viewed as icons crash Evernote

jedicpa

Idea

I am having this issue and I am wondering if anyone else is as well. My mac client crashes with any note that has a pdf that was not originally created as view as an icon. If the full view pdf preview is displayed in the note I can not open the pdf nor can I try to reset it as view as an icon without the mac client crashing. This is very frustrating because it takes away from the evernote experience. With all my pdf notes only showing the pdf icon, I can not quickly scroll through my notes and find the pdf I am looking for. I do tag the heck out of my notes as well as give them very descriptive titles, but as the saying goes a picture is worth a 1000 words so I really want to see the preview image in the note itself. With the help of support I have removed and reinstalled the app a couple of times or more, but the problem remains. It really stinks in that I also use a pc at work and I also have to set the preference to view as an icon when creating notes with pdfs because if I don't, when the note syncs over to the mac client I have the same problem and can not open the pdf without the app crashing.

I am a CPA and there are some really cool cloud based accounting services out there that can talk with evernote, but this pdf issue makes them basically useless. Shoebox.com being the prime example. Any receipt I store up on shoebox.com and then send to evernote becomes a note I cannot open the receipt pdf it sends down to evernote.

Is anybody else having major issues with evernote and pdfs?

2 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

If I understand correctly, you are saying that you have to have the settings in preferences so that pdfs are shown as attachments instead of inline, otherwise the application crashes. i haven't seen this behavior, but i will keep an eye out for it.

i imagine support is having you delete your database and the app (backing them up somewhere else, of course), before installing, right?

could you tell us which version of osx and which version of evernote you are using? one thing you could do is set up a second account and try it out in there to see if you are finding the same problems. you could also try out the beta version to see if that resolves some of your issues.

hopefully, some of the other members on the forum can come up with suggestions.

Archived