(Archived) HOWTO: Video on Evernote's architecture

• Level 5*

JB, good idea to post. Especially helpful for newbees or those who missed the ETC conference last year.

Hey, just had an idea. Since Evernote is all about Tags, and the Forum has Tags, maybe one good use of Tags in the Forum is for the originator, or a moderator, to add a tag of "Newbee" (by whatever spelling) to those posts that new users would really benefit from.

Anyway, I had a question for you. How did you know to use the "media" code to embed a flash video in the forum? I don't see a button for it.

Second question, wouldn't this be a cool feature for Evernote, to paste in a simple link to a flash video which EN would display?

Something that grabbed my attention is that Dave Engberg said he has only 200 notes in Evernote and half of them are recipies... :)

Hmm... That's not much. That's almost like not using it for most things (or a very limited use)

I've added over 150 notes overall today so far (not counting any life logging stuff).

In the past hour I just clipped about 50 notes related to movies(past and upcoming) I want to watch someday. (it's just an example and not my usual use case, I actually rarely watch movies)

I actually stopped adding some things such as photos and videos (life logging) to Evernote otherwise I might hit the note limit in the next year or two.

• Level 5

Anyway, I had a question for you. How did you know to use the "media" code to embed a flash video in the forum? I don't see a button for it.

To be honest, I did not know either. I just stumbled upon the effect by pasting in the YouTube link.

• Level 5

Something that grabbed my attention is that Dave Engberg said he has only 200 notes in Evernote and half of them are recipies... :)

Hmm... That's not much. That's almost like not using it for most things (or a very limited use)

Good catch.

Maybe that is why some of the user requests in this forum seem to fall on deaf ears.

Yeah, I know... it it also might be due to prioritization or difficulty or device coding restrictions or development costs.

But it is certainly more difficult to convince an Evernote staff member if he/she doesn't use the program.

I've been using it for around as long as Dave (he got here a little bit before me) and I've only got around 1000 notes - also most of them recipes.

We're both workaholics, and we both love to cook in our very, very spare free time. There are other people here who've been here way less who blow the two of us out of the water with their note counts.

Our overall goals for company vision may not always mesh with the near-term desires for you as the user, but your voices are heard, there's no question of that.

• Level 5*

I've been using it for around as long as Dave (he got here a little bit before me) and I've only got around 1000 notes - also most of them recipes.

I have to say Heather that I am quite surprised by this.

It appears that you are not using Evernote to help you "remember everything" as the Evernote tag line suggests.

So, you don't find it useful for either personal or work "memories", except for recipes?

Is there something else you use?

• Level 5*

I guess I'm a 'power-user', I'm certainly a heavy user - but I only have 1500 notes.

I rarely clip from the web or forward mail so virtually all my notes are 'created' by me. I also tend to delete stuff I don't need anymore - I guess I've got a touch of OCD about tidying.

I use Evernote to remember stuff i need to remember, not everything I encounter if that makes sense?

• Level 5

Different people use Evernote in different methods.

That is part of what contributed to Evernote's success.

Frankly, I was surprised that Heather only has 1,000 notes.

Sort of like catching a 5-star chef eating at a fast food.

Yeah, it makes sense. I delete a lot of notes all the time but those are mostly "work in progress" kind of notes.

You never really know what might be useful later on. So...

Some reasons why you wouldn't want to capture everything you encounter are:

it's too hard/impractical to

1. capture it

2. organize it

3. find it later on

I can't speak for anyone but from my personal experience - the better I get at those things - the more useful stuff (I mean I'm not just clipping every webpage I read either lol) I tend to add.

As long as you can really truly remember everything **conveniently** then there is no real reason to **not** add some things.

I think the difference is that the notes that I access daily, for work, are not hosted in my own account. If/when we merge the shared/linked notebooks so that they display on on page, my "virtual" note total will be much higher.

However, ask anyone that knows me (any employee on here certainly can speak to this) - outside of work, my activities are as offline/off grid as they come. And I don't spend time during my workday browsing the internet clipping things into my personal account.

I also don't take pictures. Like, ever. Got into a huge row with my grandfather about that in Venice once, about how a postcard was way better than anything I could ever take.

But, food - that's my Achilles heel. That's what I want to remember... I'll bribe a chef to get their secrets and spend hours trying to recreate a flavor I remember from childhood. I've spent years trying to get just exactly the right smoky flavor to my grilled vegetables, and when I do - in the Evernote it goes.

• Level 5*
I've spent years trying to get just exactly the right smoky flavor to my grilled vegetables, and when I do - in the Evernote it goes.

OK, you've got me there. I love grilled veggies. Are you willing to share your recipe?

BTW, the difference between a post card and a personal snapshot is the people in the picture. ;)

• Level 5*

I also don't take pictures. Like, ever. Got into a huge row with my grandfather about that in Venice once, about how a postcard was way better than anything I could ever take.

I have a slight fear that we might be twins separated at birth....

I've spent years trying to get just exactly the right smoky flavor to my grilled vegetables, and when I do - in the Evernote it goes.

OK, you've got me there. I love grilled veggies. Are you willing to share your recipe?

BTW, the difference between a post card and a personal snapshot is the people in the picture. ;)

People just ruin the line of the architecture ;)

And yes, I will. I'll put together the best of what I have right now and post later :) They're still missing something, but maybe we can crowd source this ;)

• Level 5*

And yes, I will. I'll put together the best of what I have right now and post later :) They're still missing something, but maybe we can crowd source this ;)

Great! This is definitely one beta I'm game for, if you really need it.

I'm betting it is already fantastic. But I know, you're looking for the "awesome" tag. :D

You mean you don't keep track of the variations & what was not right about them in EN???

You mean you don't keep track of the variations & what was not right about them in EN???

Oh heck no - that would be proof of my failures ;)

I'm perfect - didn't anyone tell you that?!

I just thought of a new tagline -

Evernote: The perfect tool for revisionist history

;)

Archived