(Archived) REQUEST: Tag column

Maharetina

Idea

29 replies to this idea

• Level 5

Evernote does not release ETA on feature requests.

Also, don't create a new thread when there is an existing thread already.

Just add your comments to that thread.

So excited to see this in the update notes would be even better if I could actually access/see it in Evernote. I'm a newbie so maybe I'm missing how to access it but I don't see anything that mentions tags in the list view options. :(

• Level 5*

There is a tag colum in the mac version, see picture

At the bottom left you have a wheel symbol click it and you can chance the colum view

Hi. I must be having trouble with my Internet connection or something, because I still cannot get your images to load, but from the look of the thumbnail you posted, I think you are showing us the regular tag column in the left-hand pane. Thanks for posting that!

However, I think what the previous posters are looking for is a column for tags in the list view so that you can sort notes by tag. Being able to sort by metadata like this introduces new possibilities for viewing your notes. It is currently available on the Windows client.

Like many of you, I feel the lack of love from Evernote for not having a Tag column View in the Mac version. However, I still love Evernote and how I can use it for TSW. Thus I've been trying to create some work around and I think I found it.

On way that you can sort columns is by Author. At first I thought that Evernote would manually enter an author but it doesn't. Thus in the info of each note you can just copy and past your tags. Then use the Author column to sort your tasks.

Note this only works if you're not already using the author info, and you have to update the author info if you change any tags. I know it's not perfect, but it was a quick an easy solution.

• Level 5*

Can't say that I care all that much for the ribbon either; I use it in Word and Outlook, but I don't actually use it all that often, so it's no bother. Spend most of my days in Visual Studio anyways, or Chrome or Evernote :)

• Level 5*

I would never choose to use iTunes on Windows...it's horrible.

But that ribbon....it's an offence against usability, eyesight and the last 20 years of interface design.

• Level 5*

Look, I root for Mac parity as much as anyone, but I don't get all whingey when Evernote for Mac ships a particular feature before it appears on the Windows client (yes, it happens). "The grass is always greener" is a boring place to be: I like Evernote fine as it is, even though there are things that could be better, on all clients.

(waiting for Metrodon to swing by and straighten out my Redmond-bewitched brain)

As explained a number of times by Evernote staff, different features roll out on different clients on their own schedules; the teams are largely independent. Learn to search the forum, and you can find it out for yourself: Mac users are not second-class citizens with respect to Evernote. Oh, and by the way, Apple has done pretty well by Microsoft, all things considered: Office for Mac has been a pretty important product for Microsoft over the years, and can we forget that they even helped rescue the company (http://en.wikipedia....#Microsoft_deal) at one point?

You think Microsoft has done well by Apple? You can't be serious. Is that why we only just got Outlook (instead of that crippled "Entourage" mess) last year, and why we still don't have OneNote? Is that why we got the Office ribbon interface years after the PC version did? Is that why you can't subscribe to a web-based calendar (like gmail) in Outlook for Mac, but it works just fine in Outlook for Windows? They may have bailed out Apple ten years ago, but they don't treat those of us who own Apple products nearly as well as they treat their Windows customers—which, for Microsoft, is at least understandable.

For Evernote, I know that different features roll out at different times for different clients, but the Windows version of Evernote consistently gets the vast majority of updates far in advance of the Mac version. For Mac users like me, that's a pretty frustrating experience.

• Level 5*

As explained a number of times by Evernote staff, different features roll out on different clients on their own schedules; the teams are largely independent. Learn to search the forum, and you can find it out for yourself: Mac users are not second-class citizens with respect to Evernote. Oh, and by the way, Apple has done pretty well by Microsoft, all things considered: Office for Mac has been a pretty important product for Microsoft over the years, and can we forget that they even helped rescue the company (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Apple_Inc.#Microsoft_deal) at one point?

How disappointing—when will companies like Evernote stop treating Mac users like second-class citizens. What are they, Microsoft?

Also, it'd be great to have a list view in vertical (with the preview pane on the right). Windows users can do this with a registry hack, but we can't do it at all!

oh gee, how discouraging. That was in December 2009 - more than 2 years ago.

I hope they're still going to implement that into the Mac version. I don't care that it will sort by the first tag, that's something I could handle. It would be really, really useful to have that option, though. I have no intention to buy a PC just for this feature ...

Archived