(Archived) REQUEST: Get rid of calendar view

Coach Wade

Seriously, I've been a professional writer for close to a decade, and I can't think of ANY time when I've wanted my notes sorted by day they were created. The Evernote Windows client does it PERFECTLY: Notebooks to the far left, individual notes in the middle, and active note I am working with on the far right.

The default alignment for the tablet client is a disorganized mess that is seriously making me rethink using Evernote at all. I've touched everything on the screen and NOTHING seems to allow me to alter the layout to the way I want it. What am I missing?

Thank you in advance.

~D.

• Level 5*

What version are you running? I use Evernote version 4,0 Beta on my Kindle Fire, and it seem pretty well laid out, though its layout is fixed. You can sort notes by creation date. I don't find it hard to navigate, but there's only so much screen real estate available at any one time. I just do a search, tap on the list, and the results are shown with matching note snippets below, and current note above. Tap on the 'pencil' icon, and you edit the note. Doesn't seem so bad to me...

What version are you running? I use Evernote version 4,0 Beta on my Kindle Fire, and it seem pretty well laid out, though its layout is fixed. You can sort notes by creation date. I don't find it hard to navigate, but there's only so much screen real estate available at any one time. I just do a search, tap on the list, and the results are shown with matching note snippets below, and current note above. Tap on the 'pencil' icon, and you edit the note. Doesn't seem so bad to me...

Hi Jeff;

I don't have my tablet with me at the moment so I can't check, but the tablet was purchased Monday and Evernote was the second app I installed, so I'm fairly certain it's the most recent version available in the Market. I generally avoid Beta releases; I don't have the time to discover and report new bugs or deal with the lost work they entail.

I have a 10 inch tablet. While I know they make smaller ones, that is the most commonly produced size. I also have an HTC Sensation Android phone (Which I hate, by the way. Don't get one of those.) On the phone's 4" screen, Evernote uses list view. On my Win7 laptop, Evernote uses list view. On the 10" tablet I bought specifically to use with Evernote I'm stuck using the worst possible layout. I won't even call it an "organizational" layout, because it's anything but. It is AWFUL. If I'd started using Evernote on the tablet first, I'd never have continued; it's that bad.

Snippet view is also irritating because of the lack of privacy. I'm an author and I'm in the middle of a fiction piece. Some of my dialog was viewable in snippet view that I don't care for others to see out of context. Now, this is relatively benign, but what happens when someone has their private credit card numbers or other personal information in a note that Snippet view broadcasts for anyone looking over their shoulder to see?

My issue isn't with Snippet view per se. It's with being forced to use it as a default ONLY on the tablet. Evernote should look identical across every platform. Hell, it's the same operating system as my phone, why is it using a different screen layout? That's absurd. It actually took MORE coding to take that choice away from the user, a decision I don't understand. Some people may love the view and want to use it exclusively-- I'm cool with that. But for those of us who don't, we need to be able to set the software for what WE think is the best ease of use, not Joe Software Engineer's favorite layout.

One thing I should make clear since I'm being pretty blunt is that I am here because I LIKE Evernote. This software is amazing. I've been writing using various tools and software for twenty years, and Evernote is the FIRST software that allows me to take my writing with me anywhere-- it's improved my efficiency about 90%. (Literally. I've almost doubled my words per day count since I started using it.)

So, I'm not here just to b*tch. I'm here hoping to make the most effective writing product I've ever used more gooder.

~D.

• Level 5*

I'm not on Android, but as a professional writer and translator for much longer than a decade (non-fiction), I actually prefer my notes in chronological order by date of creation. Different strokes for different folks! Of course, the fact that I am a historian might have something to do with my preferences :)

Your point is well-taken, though: we need to have options for customizing the sorting, display, editing, etc. so that the app meets the various particular needs of users. Personally, as an iOS (iPad) user at the moment, I find the app there to be rather frustrating, because all we have is the snippet view, and as you said, it displays the content to the world. Not that I have many people looking over my shoulder while I work, but it happens. More importantly, I find it to be an especially inefficient way of viewing my notes.

So, as someone who remains Android curious, and wil probably move to Android in the future (past attempts failed -- a hardware more than a software issue), I do hope we get lots of customizability here!

I'm not on Android, but as a professional writer and translator for much longer than a decade (non-fiction), I actually prefer my notes in chronological order by date of creation. Different strokes for different folks! Of course, the fact that I am a historian might have something to do with my preferences :)

I'm actually just about to start a Master's in Ancient World History. I am looking forward to creating yet another Evernote notebook specifically for that research.

I actually like list view sorted by most recently updated for my fiction projects. I generally write a chapter on my laptop, and then use my phone to view and make minor proofreading edits. It really saves a LOT of time. I used to print out the paper and carry it with my on a clipboard, making markups on it. THAT was monstrously inefficient.

I do hope we get lots of customizability here!

Truthfully, I'm sure we will, eventually. Evernote's team seems pretty committed to making a good product. I look forward to this issue getting fixed so I can pay to support them with a premium account.

~D.

PS: Love the username. Hehe!

• Level 5*

I'm actually just about to start a Master's in Ancient World History. I am looking forward to creating yet another Evernote notebook specifically for that research.

I actually like list view sorted by most recently updated for my fiction projects. I generally write a chapter on my laptop, and then use my phone to view and make minor proofreading edits. It really saves a LOT of time. I used to print out the paper and carry it with my on a clipboard, making markups on it. THAT was monstrously inefficient.

Great to hear!. Good luck with the MA! I title my notes with the date created and switch between title view (results in chronological arrangement) and last updated, depending on what I am doing. I actually do not use the created sort much because many of my notes were created after their date of physical creation (papers on clipboards, notecards, and other relics of the pre-post-modern-post-pc age).

Truthfully, I'm sure we will, eventually. Evernote's team seems pretty committed to making a good product. I look forward to this issue getting fixed so I can pay to support them with a premium account.

~D.

Why not pay them now for all of the great work they have done (the best app for research I have ever used)? The more premium users they have, the more money they receive from investors, the more support they have for projects like improving the Android app, and the more support they receive from their robot overlord for spending time reading these message boards and taking our requests into consideration :)

Great to hear!. Good luck with the MA! I title my notes with the date created and switch between title view (results in chronological arrangement) and last updated, depending on what I am doing. I actually do not use the created sort much because many of my notes were created after their date of physical creation (papers on clipboards, notecards, and other relics of the pre-post-modern-post-pc age).

~D.

Why not pay them now for all of the great work they have done (the best app for research I have ever used)? The more premium users they have, the more money they receive from investors, the more support they have for projects like improving the Android app, and the more support they receive from their robot overlord for spending time reading these message boards and taking our requests into consideration :)

Well, the tablet frustrations are almost a deal breaker to me. My word count yesterday dropped from 2500 to 1900, and a lot of it was ***** around trying to find the notes I needed in an interface that I loathe. They HAVE done a good job, but if I'm going to support a developer, it's going to be one that pays attention to their user requests. I see a LOT of requests for this feature, so if the next thing they add on android is the ability to import your old SNES high scores automatically, or sync Evernote with your microwave to make an automatic burrito count, then I'm probably going to seek a different tool.

Thanks for the well-wishes. This looks to be a pretty rigorous program, so I appreciate all the luck I can get.

~D.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived