(Archived) HOWTO/REQUEST: Remove individual notes from cache?

crshortt

Is there any way on the Android app to remove an individual note from the cache, as opposed to removing ALL notes from the cache. There are many times when I open a large note in the mobile app that has attached maps, pics, etc. that I may only need for a week while on a trip. I want to keep the note on my desktop and on the server so I don't want to delete it - but I don't want it permanently taking up several MB on the phone either.

Clearing the entire cache is NOT an attractive alternative as I don't want to lose offline access to already downloaded notes that I do want on the phone permanently.

If this is not possible currently, how does one make a feature request?

Rick

• Level 5*

If you're a premium user, you can make an offline notebook for your Android device, and move notes that you want always available into that notebook. When you don't need it always available, then move it to a normal notebook. It'll probably get kicked out of the cache eventually. Free users are always at the mercy of the the note caching system, which, I imagine, is based on usage and available memory.

Feature requests can be made here just fine (sometimes a feature request will result in another user pointing out something that the original poser has missed). You can also make them via support requests.

Just want to be clear if I understand this correctly.

Using the free account, which I currently am, I can be online with my Android and open a note. If later in the day I am offline, I can still open that note which downloaded to cache. But you are saying that even if I don't ever go into the Evernote app settings and clear the note cache, the note will probably get cleared anyway sooner or later, with no way to predict when? To the best of my knowledge, I have not had that happen yet - but you are saying it will?

And in that case, there is really not much advantage to being able to clear individual notes. Or is there? If I could clear certain preselected notes that would probably keep my cache from filling up - especially if I knew what the cache limit was and could keep tabs on it? If that is a valid understanding, then please consider this a feature request - that is being able to cleasr individual notes and keep track of cache usage.

Rick

Rick

• Level 5*

Not quite. As a free user, while you're online, if you open a note, it should get downloaded to your device and you are able to view it. It may get un-cached at any time (though I'd guess if you access it often, it'll tend to stick around longer). So even if you are online, it may need to be reloaded; conversely, if you go offline, it may still be in your cache, and you can access it. That's the idea behind caches; there are no guarantees, and they generally respond to memory pressure from other applications (or the OS), or your own usage. If you run a program that uses a lot of memory, Evernote might be forced to lower its memory usage (e.g., dump the cache) or even be shut down altogether (I don't know if this is the case on Android, but it's not uncommon).

As far as I know, there is no way to clear individual notes from the cache. I'm guessing it's more trouble that its worth to try to control your cache. If it's really critical to have things cached, then the option is to go to premium, and use offline notebooks.

OK. Thanks! At least I now have a better understanding of how it works.

I suppose at a minimum, if I knew for a fact I was going to be offline for a week, say on a hiking trip somewhere remote without cell coverage, and I had trail notes I needed to rely on in the phone, I could subscribe to the premium service for a month and temporarily move all necessary notes to an offline notebook as you suggested.

If it ever becomes an issue on shorter outings close to home I may have to consider going premium on a permanent basis.

Rick

• Level 5*
I suppose at a minimum, if I knew for a fact I was going to be offline for a week, say on a hiking trip somewhere remote without cell coverage, and I had trail notes I needed to rely on in the phone, I could subscribe to the premium service for a month and temporarily move all necessary notes to an offline notebook as you suggested.

Yes, you can do that. I think they'll make you sign up for a year (paid monthly), but you can cancel at any time, if I recall correctly.

Archived