(Archived) Evernote for Mac 3.1.0 Release Candidate

dlu

Idea

Hello People of Mac!

We have an release candidate with a handful of stability improvements from the Beta 2. We have some stability improvements to shared notebooks, as well as logging in and out while offline.

We also are now migrating your password as well, so if you upgrade from Beta 1 to the RC, you won't need to retype in your password.

We are still working on debugging the note-migration issues. If note migration fails, you should now get an error message. If you see this, please go save your activity logs and PM me. Our current hypothesis is that permission issues in the user's folder is preventing Evernote from migrating files.

If you have any issues, please immediately go to Help >> Activity Logs and then save them. Then please PM me and we'll go from there. Thanks!

If you've opted into the Betas, you can go to Help >> Check for Updates

If you're not auto-updating, you can get the beta here: http://evernote.s3.a...note_246033.zip

41 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

Is it just me, or is full screen stuck on a single mode now for everyone? I cannot get list view to show at all. Lots of pinwheels. Ugh.

Version 3.0.6 (221382)

Macbook Pro 10.7.3, 2.3 GHZ i5, 8GB

And here's a weird one I noticed yesterday in the last build. If you're tagging multiple notes and backspace in the middle of a word, when you start typing again, two of each letter appears instead of just one. Like "test" can come out as "tesstt." I can replicate it in this build too.

Another tagging issue: sometimes (I'm having a hard time pinpointing when it occurs.) Evernote doesn't suggest tags when I'm tagging an individual note. Restarting fixes the issue.

A minor bug when editing notes with tick boxes.

Sometimes when switching from one not to another the tick boxes do not re-draw so that in the space where a tick box should be I can still see parts of the text or image from the previous note.

Thanks.

Hmm, just upgraded, and really not loving the new thumbnail view. There was something really great about images taking up the full note a la (it's an old version, but shows the basic idea):

mac-notes.png

and the fake notebooks (and lack of image resizing options) look really wonky:

mza_6971480653358121186.800x500-75.jpg

Any way to revert that styling?

Any way to revert that styling?

Unfortunately, not.

Would love to see that in future versions... Especially for quickly scanning big sets of images or quickly resizing to zoom in and back out with big groups, it was really helpful.

Currently using the version in the Mac App Store. Is there a way to jump back to a previous version, or am I just asking for pain and heartache?

So, is this release candidate identical to the final release available on the Mac App Store as of yesterday? And: Are final releases only to be available trough the Mac App Store?

Edit: Okay, I realise that there's a 3.1.1 in sparkle which I can tell is not identical to this RC. A little bit confusing.

So, is this release candidate identical to the final release available on the Mac App Store as of yesterday? And: Are final releases only to be available trough the Mac App Store?

Edit: Okay, I realise that there's a 3.1.1 in sparkle which I can tell is not identical to this RC. A little bit confusing.

Yes sorry for the confusion. If you're not through the AppStore, you'll get 3.1.1 which has some bugfixes for 3.1.0. The 3.1.0 RC posted here is teh same as the one in the AppStore. We're working to get the AppStore in sync with the non-AppStore stream.

• Level 5*

hi. some posts by other users have encouraged me to pay more attention to lag issues, and i realize that some of the things i thought were just "how it was" are actually getting pretty bad.

1. my terrifically slow searches (instant searching in windows seems slower than the mac, but both are getting worse and worse). i really wish instant search was turned off, because when evernote finally allows me to finish typing in my search, it is actually pretty speedy.

2. a really bad lag while typing in notes. is it because i have long notes? is it because i have a lot of notes? is it because i have everything in one notebook? i don't know, but it is getting bad enough that i cannot complete words.

3. the ipad is really slow to display information, search, etc. yes, i know this is a mac forum, but is it related to #2?

i don't know, but i will do some more testing on multiple platforms and see. at any rate, things are really slow right now with my mac (i5 / 8gb / mbp / lion).

(7) Slow download speeds

- Something went wrong and I had to re-install Evernote / re-download my data (under dlu's direction), but the "several minutes" that this was supposed to take has been several hours, with only a fraction of my notes populated. I've had the same problem when using offline notebooks on my iPad. I understand that I have an atypically large account (about 12 GB), but I can download 12 GB of data off of any other site relatively quickly. Why is Evernote so slow?

[EDIT:] Going into day two and I barely have 1/3 of my notes downloaded. Doesn't this seem too slow to anyone else?

GM, did you see the recent Blog where they announced that they have done some server upgrades/changes and now they have been able to cut the power per user in half. This sounds great, but maybe they optimized too far on minimizing power. I don't know. Here's what it said:

Besides making the service more responsive, these updates also resulted in a 50% reduction in per user power consumption for new users, which is pretty huge.

Supposed to be *more* responsive, but it doesn't seem that way.

When I sync'd my Wintel laptop today for the first time in a while, it had to add about 300 Notes (all very small, no PDFs).

I was surprised that it took about 15 min to complete the sync. I have a very large pipe (20-30 Mbps).

Let me see if this has affected the other clients. I'll ask about details, but since it says "new users" it seems like they probably grandfathered in existing users. (This is all hypothetical, I don't have any extra info that's not in the blogpost)

• Level 5*

Found another problem. When shrinking down the window, the left pane breaks and the information inside gets shoved down a few inches so that there is a bunch of dead space between the favorites bar and the Account/Shared tabs.

Version 3.0.6 (221382)

Found another problem. When shrinking down the window, the left pane breaks and the information inside gets shoved down a few inches so that there is a bunch of dead space between the favorites bar and the Account/Shared tabs.

Version 3.0.6 (221382)

Could you post a screenshot? And you're on version 3.0.6 still?

• Level 5*

Version 3.0.6 (221382)

oh no. i fell behind. remember? i had the migration problem and had to re-install. i must have forgotten to upgrade to the beta.

i will send you a screenshot of both behaviors before upgrading.

Yes sorry for the confusion. If you're not through the AppStore, you'll get 3.1.1 which has some bugfixes for 3.1.0. The 3.1.0 RC posted here is teh same as the one in the AppStore. We're working to get the AppStore in sync with the non-AppStore stream.

Thanks for the clarification. And I take that as a "Yes, you can only get it from the App Store, unless you download a beta".

• Level 5*

Version 3.0.6 (221382)

it had the same problem this morning, i closed up the computer, and now i cannot get it to have the same problem. i cannot select any other list views, but those don't exist for 3.0.6, right? i couldn't get the left pane to show the same problem again. i wish i had taken the screen shot before coming to work. sorry! i'll upgrade now.

• Level 5*

after i got the beta installed, i tried to close the promotions window (nothing was displaying -- i actually prefer to have it open) and it prompted me to upgrade to premium. i am premium. so, that was weird. i checked my account info, and it showed me as premium with 1gb remaining for uploads. that was also wrong.

now it shows me with only 937mb and premium. i guess it just had to retrieve that information. maybe if it could retrieve the information during the migration or at some other earlier point that might be better, so it doesn't confuse users. no big deal, of course, but probably ought to be addressed at some point.

• Level 5*

Macbook Pro / 2.3 GHz i5 / 8GB / 10.7.3

(1) Failure to Sync Shared Notebooks

- Nothing is syncing.Nearly all of my shared notebooks read 0, when they ought to be full of notes. On the web the notes appear in the linked notebooks. On my iPad they appear too. Restarting the app did not solve the problem. Forcing a sync on each one did not solve the problem.

(2) Note Count Incorrect

- All Notes = 6631. My only notebook, PRIVATE = 6748. Everything is synced. I even emptied the trash. iPad says I have 6631 total. How can I have more notes in my one notebook than I have in my entire account?

(3) Saved Searches Missing

- I have to close it and open it to get the saved search to appear.

(4) Sharing a Notebook Fails without Sync

- If you have not synced and try to share a notebook, it will not work. It will try and sync and then hang.

(5) Forgetting Password

- I am sure I clicked in the checkbox for it to remember my password, but the last time it started up, it prompted me again.

[EDIT:] This seems to be occurring now every time I turn on my machine. I have a strong password, so this is making it pretty difficult to get up and running. I guess I'll go back to leaving my computer on all of the time so that I can avoid this...

(6) Crash

- Report sent. I turned on the computer, got logged in, and then the app quit unexpectedly. It's been a long time since something like this has happened!

(7) Slow download speeds

- Something went wrong and I had to re-install Evernote / re-download my data (under dlu's direction), but the "several minutes" that this was supposed to take has been several hours, with only a fraction of my notes populated. I've had the same problem when using offline notebooks on my iPad. I understand that I have an atypically large account (about 12 GB), but I can download 12 GB of data off of any other site relatively quickly. Why is Evernote so slow? A partial solution to this, of course, would be to provide desktop users with the same "offline/online" notebook capabilities that mobile users enjoy. I would actually prefer to be downloading hardly anything at all.

[EDIT:] Going into day two and I barely have 1/3 of my notes downloaded. Doesn't this seem too slow to anyone else?

(8) account information slow to retrieve

after i got the beta installed, i tried to close the promotions window (nothing was displaying -- i actually prefer to have it open) and it prompted me to upgrade to premium. i am premium. so, that was weird. i checked my account info, and it showed me as premium with 1gb remaining for uploads. that was also wrong. now it shows me with only 937mb and premium. i guess it just had to retrieve that information. maybe if it could retrieve the information during the migration or at some other earlier point that might be better, so it doesn't confuse users. no big deal, of course, but probably ought to be addressed at some point.

(9) attachments displaying inline instead of as attachments

i have changed the setting, but still see attachments showing inline.

(10) Applications folder problem

this is probably just my issue, but something went wrong when i tried to download the beta and install it. i had to run the beta from the download folder, because i could not get it to replace the other version (3.0.6). eventually, i gave up and put both evernotes in the application folder ("keep both files"). neither is showing as the elephant, and although they look like they haven't been opened yet, the public version just crashes when i try to use it and the beta opens ok. i am not sure what to do here... no big deal, i guess, but hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else. i wonder why this beta has caused so much trouble for me (had to re-sync my entire database because of a problem with migration, and now this).

• Level 5*

- Nothing is syncing.Nearly all of my shared notebooks read 0, when they ought to be full of notes. On the web the notes appear in the linked notebooks. On my iPad they appear too. Restarting the app did not solve the problem. Forcing a sync on each one did not solve the problem.

(2) Note Count Incorrect

- All Notes = 6631. My only notebook, PRIVATE = 6748. Everything is synced. I even emptied the trash. iPad says I have 6631 total. How can I have more notes in my one notebook than I have in my entire account?

- If you have not synced and try to share a notebook, it will not work. It will try and sync and then hang.

(5) Forgetting Password

- I am sure I clicked in the checkbox for it to remember my password, but the last time it started up, it prompted me again.

[EDIT:] This seems to be occurring now every time I turn on my machine. I have a strong password, so this is making it pretty difficult to get up and running. I guess I'll go back to leaving my computer on all of the time so that I can avoid this...

(6) Crash

- Report sent. I turned on the computer, got logged in, and then the app quit unexpectedly. It's been a long time since something like this has happened!

(7) Slow download speeds

- Something went wrong and I had to re-install Evernote / re-download my data (under dlu's direction), but the "several minutes" that this was supposed to take has been several hours, with only a fraction of my notes populated. I've had the same problem when using offline notebooks on my iPad. I understand that I have an atypically large account (about 12 GB), but I can download 12 GB of data off of any other site relatively quickly. Why is Evernote so slow? A partial solution to this, of course, would be to provide desktop users with the same "offline/online" notebook capabilities that mobile users enjoy. I would actually prefer to be downloading hardly anything at all.

(8) account information slow to retrieve

after i got the beta installed, i tried to close the promotions window (nothing was displaying -- i actually prefer to have it open) and it prompted me to upgrade to premium. i am premium. so, that was weird. i checked my account info, and it showed me as premium with 1gb remaining for uploads. that was also wrong. now it shows me with only 937mb and premium. i guess it just had to retrieve that information. maybe if it could retrieve the information during the migration or at some other earlier point that might be better, so it doesn't confuse users. no big deal, of course, but probably ought to be addressed at some point.

(9) attachments displaying inline instead of as attachments

i have changed the setting, but still see attachments showing inline.

(10) Applications folder problem

this is probably just my issue, but something went wrong when i tried to download the beta and install it. i had to run the beta from the download folder, because i could not get it to replace the other version (3.0.6). eventually, i gave up and put both evernotes in the application folder ("keep both files"). neither is showing as the elephant, and although they look like they haven't been opened yet, the public version just crashes when i try to use it and the beta opens ok. i am not sure what to do here... no big deal, i guess, but hopefully this doesn't happen to anyone else. i wonder why this beta has caused so much trouble for me (had to re-sync my entire database because of a problem with migration, and now this).

(11) Scrolling (this is for the release 3.1.1)

Sometimes I cannot scroll to the top note in a notebook. I try to get to the top, but it keeps bouncing down to the second note. If I click on a note in the snippet view and then move with the arrow key up through the list, I am fine, and the problem goes away. It is happening pretty regularly, and makes it very difficult to navigate within a notebook. At the moment, the scroll bar on the snippet view keeps leaping back down to the middle.

• Level 5*

dlu, now that EN Mac Version 3.1.1 (248775) has been released, do I assume correctly that we post bugs/issues in individual threads, or do you have a thread dedicated to Ver 3.1.1?

dlu, now that EN Mac Version 3.1.1 (248775) has been released, do I assume correctly that we post bugs/issues in individual threads, or do you have a thread dedicated to Ver 3.1.1?

That's not a bad idea, I'll start a 3.1.1 thread

I also have this Favourites Bar issue with the RC, though it not occur for me when earlier upgrading to the previous beta.

Same for me. Motivated me to make a quick note of the things I keep on the Favorites Bar (links where applicable) so I can restore it quickly if I need to.

Shared notebooks are still blank.

And here's a weird one I noticed yesterday in the last build. If you're tagging multiple notes and backspace in the middle of a word, when you start typing again, two of each letter appears instead of just one. Like "test" can come out as "tesstt." I can replicate it in this build too.

• Level 5*

(2) Note Count Incorrect

(2) Note Count Incorrect

Would you mind sending over activity logs again? Thanks much!

• Level 5*

(2) Note Count Incorrect

Would you mind sending over activity logs again? Thanks much!

Yep. On their way!

• Level 5*

Items that had previously been added to the Favourites Bar don't make it through the upgrade - reported on the previous build.

Searching for items with an underscore/underbar return no results - previously reported.

• Level 5*

(2) Note Count Incorrect

Items that had previously been added to the Favourites Bar don't make it through the upgrade - reported on the previous build.

I also have this Favourites Bar issue with the RC, though it not occur for me when earlier upgrading to the previous beta.

I experience a peculiar issue when adding tags to multiple notes, where Evernote sometimes seem to misinterprate keystrokes as doubles. Say, I write "todo" it would interprete it as "ttooddoo". It does not always happen, and usually I can just delete it and start over.

• Level 5*

(2) Note Count Incorrect

(5) Forgetting Password

• Level 5*

(2) Note Count Incorrect

(5) Forgetting Password

(6) Crash

(5) Forgetting Password

I also have this problem since update to 3.1.0 RC.

I can still log on to web with the same old password.

This is a good upgrade for me. One of my pet peeves has gone -

the one where I move a note from Inbox to another notebook and EN takes me straight to the second notebook. Then I have to go back to Inbox each time to continue processing it to zero

Thanks.

• Level 5*

Here is an update to the password issue:

I am at a coffee shop and logged into the Internet. I was using Evernote just fine, but now it has decided I need to re-enter my password, which it never seems able to remember. As much as I like the ability to switch accounts, having to login multiple times each day is getting very tiring!

• Level 5*

(2) Note Count Incorrect

(5) Forgetting Password

(6) Crash

(7) Slow download speeds

Items that had previously been added to the Favourites Bar don't make it through the upgrade

An afterthought on this issue:

It would be great if we could abbreviate the title of notes in the Favourites Bar in order to save space: i.e. create a sort of shortened alias which pointed to the original note without having to shorten the note's title itself.

• Level 5*

(7) Slow download speeds

- Something went wrong and I had to re-install Evernote / re-download my data (under dlu's direction), but the "several minutes" that this was supposed to take has been several hours, with only a fraction of my notes populated. I've had the same problem when using offline notebooks on my iPad. I understand that I have an atypically large account (about 12 GB), but I can download 12 GB of data off of any other site relatively quickly. Why is Evernote so slow?

GM, did you see the recent Blog where they announced that they have done some server upgrades/changes and now they have been able to cut the power per user in half. This sounds great, but maybe they optimized too far on minimizing power. I don't know. Here's what it said:

Besides making the service more responsive, these updates also resulted in a 50% reduction in per user power consumption for new users, which is pretty huge.

Supposed to be *more* responsive, but it doesn't seem that way.

When I sync'd my Wintel laptop today for the first time in a while, it had to add about 300 Notes (all very small, no PDFs).

I was surprised that it took about 15 min to complete the sync. I have a very large pipe (20-30 Mbps).

• Level 5*

i didn't see that. thanks. maybe that is the reason.

i have a fast connection as well, and a few gigabytes ought to be no problem. when i tried to make everything offline last month so i could do work while away from the internet, my ipad took several days just to get a tiny fraction of the notes. it's nice to have the feature, but in practice, i cannot use it, because the download speed is so slow.

by this time next year, i guess it will take more than a week to restore my account if an upgrade doesn't install properly :(

i like the windows version a lot, but being trapped on my netbook while i wait for the download to finish is not fun.

Archived