(Archived) Background color on a note - equals highlighting?

FactMan

• Level 5*

I just downloaded a note from the web, and the text is highlighted with the following

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242); display: inline !important; float: none;">

Does this mean that theoretically highlighting is possible, or am I way off the eight-ball (highly possible!)?

• Level 5*

I just downloaded a note from the web, and the text is highlighted with the following

<span style="color: rgb(0, 0, 0); font-style: normal; font-variant: normal; font-weight: normal; letter-spacing: normal; line-height: 18px; orphans: 2; text-align: -webkit-auto; text-indent: 0px; text-transform: none; white-space: normal; widows: 2; word-spacing: 0px; -webkit-text-size-adjust: auto; -webkit-text-stroke-width: 0px; background-color: rgb(225, 235, 242); display: inline !important; float: none;">

Does this mean that theoretically highlighting is possible, or am I way off the eight-ball (highly possible!)?

of course. lots of things are possible. highlighting is not possible through the ui on some platforms. that's all. for example, if you want to highlight on the ipad it will show up on windows :)

I have lots of text highlighted in Evernote. Unfortunately, it's text from web pages that I highlight with Diigo before clipping to Evernote. I'll be a very happy user the day highlighting comes to the Mac version—and if it comes to Windows first I'll have to seriously consider using the Windows app, since highlighting things I read on the computer is such a major part of my workflow and being able to do so within Evernote will help me enormously.

• Level 5*

The answer is yes, it's possible, and the Evernote note format is based on HTML. It's been implemented on one client only, so far, but I believe that it will make it to the rest eventually. In the meantime, there is at least one third-party tool available to edit the underlying code in your notes: http://enml-editor.ping13.net/

Phil Libin, the Evernote CEO, advised me some time ago when I asked him about the absence of highlighting, that it would be added in the next version, which I take to be version 5.

Evernote has excelled as an instrument to capture information. And I have learned some tricks to fine tune the tagging process so that it essentially becomes much more flexible and valuable than it appears at first glance.

It's important to not only capture information, but to be able to use it, quickly and easily. In other words, information processing, and learning from information.

On the plus side in this area, EN enables more than one open window, so a writer, for example, can have two windows with information open, and be writing an article in the third window. This is a superb feature, all too often absent in other programs.

On the minus side, is being unable to highlight text. Highlight text is a way to remember what is important, or to have significant sections of text immediately visible when a note is reopened.

Having text highlighting, in a choice of colours (each colour I would use would have a meaning to me), would be a great step forward.

Daly

I have lots of text highlighted in Evernote. Unfortunately, it's text from web pages that I highlight with Diigo before clipping to Evernote. I'll be a very happy user the day highlighting comes to the Mac version—and if it comes to Windows first I'll have to seriously consider using the Windows app, since highlighting things I read on the computer is such a major part of my workflow and being able to do so within Evernote will help me enormously.

• 2 weeks later...

If we have to wait until version 5 for highlighting, does anyone have any idea at all when we might expect it? I used EN for everything, but the lack of highlighting is driving me to Google Docs, so hope it comes soon.

• Level 5*

Hey GM -- that's one advantage of the iPad over the Mac!

It is not clear why adding highlighting to EN Mac seems to be such a challenge. :(

Ummm...am I not seeing something on my iPad? How would I highlight?

hi. exclamation mark.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey GM -- that's one advantage of the iPad over the Mac!

It is not clear why adding highlighting to EN Mac seems to be such a challenge. :(

Ummm...am I not seeing something on my iPad? How would I highlight?

hi. exclamation mark.

What exclamation mark? :mellow:

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone.

I've found this thread by searching about Evernote's highlighting features and would've like to make two request for the mentioned version update, if possible.

Please make it also possible to

• make our own “styles” (well, at least our own font and background colour palletes with unlimited number of stored colours);
  • assign to those “styles” hotkeys to be able to activate them without having to use a mouse.

This two features are what no online information storing project like Evernote has so far, afaik. And it is also what makes usage of such projects crippled, if you are used to highlighting your texts during reading and doing that a lot.

p.s. If this thread is not the appropriate place for such a request, I apologize and ask for a such place to repost this message.

• 4 months later...

Phil Libin, the Evernote CEO, advised me some time ago when I asked him about the absence of highlighting, that it would be added in the next version, which I take to be version 5.

so like, the Mac version is now 5.0.4 and I can't see any of the highlighting features discussed here implemented. I was able to highlight some text on my iPad and see that pop up in the Mac client, but still no highlighting controls available in the actual Mac client itself.

:(

Archived