HOWTO: Copy a note so it sits in 2 different notebooks

SAMSydneyAustralia

Idea

I have set up 2 travel blog notebooks and one is for work and family and the other for friends , can I copy a note and then send it to another notebook.

If I slide,right click and move, it removes it from the original notebook ..Of course some notes are for everyone and other mmmm not so....

Hope this isn't a dopey question but I have looked ... promise

thanks

Sam

45 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It's tricky. On one hand, I think a lot of people count on notebooks (and Evernote's existing structure) to organize their notes, but it would be tremendously useful if the platform was re-architected to treat notes like they are kept in one big folder, then distributed to notebooks as sortcut's or alias'. Then you could put notes into multiple notebooks. 

Adobe Lightroom and Bridge are good examples of how this works. You can put images or documents into "collections" no matter where they are on your system (without actually moving the files). Libraries on Windows 7 and up work this way as well.

This could make the concept of note linking different, but maybe easier. Instead of linking to other notes in a note, you could put all related notes for a project or topic in one collection (even if they're permanently residing in your existing notebook structure).

I would love to hear from someone at Evernote on the feasibility of this. I have to imagine it would be a significant change, but I'm not a programmer.

Evernote don't usually comment in any detail on posts here,  or on future possible features in general so I don't think you'll be getting any authoritative comment,  but in general terms any messing with the construction of something which is in daily use by 80M or so people would tend to be "significant".  There are Wiki features such as you describe,  and I've requested them before now - this would be "transclusion",  the ability to quote some or all of the content of one note as part of another,  with said content altering wherever it's quoted if the original note is changed.  However I'm managing pretty well with tags as an alternate system at present.

Thank you Gazumped and GrumpyMonkey.

GrumpyMonkey - so when I hit the 'Copy' icon I understand that I cannot 'paste' it likeon a PC. However, you said it generates a shared link. Where does this link end up? Who gets this link since I have shared it? Or what do I do with the link even though I don't know where it is?

Cheers, Mike

Some ask why have the same note in two different notebooks? Why should Evernote programmers look into making this possible? Because, for example, if you have two homes and go back and forth, there are things you need to take with you...and also specific things to do before leaving one place for another. Hence, Notebook "When going from Home A to Home B" and a second Notebook "When going from Home B to Home A". Each notebook has things in it unique to it, but it also should contain a single, identical note that automatically updates of things that accompany you, a note such as "Take along when changing homes".

Some ask why have the same note in two different notebooks? Why should Evernote programmers look into making this possible? Because, for example, if you have two homes and go back and forth, there are things you need to take with you...and also specific things to do before leaving one place for another. Hence, Notebook "When going from Home A to Home B" and a second Notebook "When going from Home B to Home A". Each notebook has things in it unique to it, but it also should contain a single, identical note that automatically updates of things that accompany you, a note such as "Take along when changing homes".

There is no need for duplicated notes in this use case.  Simply have one notebook & use tags "A to B" and "B to A".  Tag each note appropriately.  Tag the "take along either way" note with both tags.  Then just search on the tag you're interested in at the time.

Also, having duplicated notes increases your chances for error.  If you have the "take along when switching" note duplicated & you realize you need to add something to it, you need to do it to both notes.  By having only one note, you only need to make the change once.

There is no need for duplicated notes in this use case.  Simply have one notebook & use tags "A to B" and "B to A".  Tag each note appropriately.  Tag the "take along either way" note with both tags.  Then just search on the tag you're interested in at the time.

Also, having duplicated notes increases your chances for error.  If you have the "take along when switching" note duplicated & you realize you need to add something to it, you need to do it to both notes.  By having only one note, you only need to make the change once.

Using one notebook doesn't allow different sharing though.  I often collect a lot of information that I collect in a "work notebook".  Some of these notes however I want to share with colleagues.   If I could put the same note in two different notebooks (like Springpad allows) then I could make edit's to the note in my "work notebook" and the changes reflected in the notebook that I'm sharing with others.  If I only put the notebook in one area or the other, it slows down the workflow having to switch between notebooks and having similar notes, tagged appropriately spread across different notebooks. 

• Level 5*

Using one notebook doesn't allow different sharing though.  I often collect a lot of information that I collect in a "work notebook".  Some of these notes however I want to share with colleagues.   If I could put the same note in two different notebooks (like Springpad allows) then I could make edit's to the note in my "work notebook" and the changes reflected in the notebook that I'm sharing with others.  If I only put the notebook in one area or the other, it slows down the workflow having to switch between notebooks and having similar notes, tagged appropriately spread across different notebooks.

Switching notebooks is not the only way to work with Evernote. If identifying the shared notes that you are working with is a problem, then tags and maybe saved search shortcuts can help. If you have notes that you edit frequently, then you can also open them in separate windows to keep them easily available at all times; I do this a lot.

And, evernote DOES have it. I had to do some digging, but I found out where they keep it. It's too critical a feature for credible developers to have left it out.

However, it's curious that "copy note" is not available on the web version of Evernote, nor the pda app. For some reason, it ONLY appears within the downloaded PC app. It is a drop-down menu option. But, like I said, it has become one of those mission critical features for many. Thank goodness some developer(s) saw the importance of carrying it forward from US Robotics or wherever they first used it.

So, where is this magical feature?  Doesn't show up in the drop down menu when I right click the note or click any of the menus at the top on either the Web version or on the Windows version.  Man, I'd LOVE to have this ability.  I don't have clever symbols that all need to be copied, but I do have colours and they don't copy/paste.

Darlene

And, evernote DOES have it. I had to do some digging, but I found out where they keep it. It's too critical a feature for credible developers to have left it out.

However, it's curious that "copy note" is not available on the web version of Evernote, nor the pda app. For some reason, it ONLY appears within the downloaded PC app. It is a drop-down menu option. But, like I said, it has become one of those mission critical features for many. Thank goodness some developer(s) saw the importance of carrying it forward from US Robotics or wherever they first used it.

So, where is this magical feature?  Doesn't show up in the drop down menu when I right click the note or click any of the menus at the top on either the Web version or on the Windows version.  Man, I'd LOVE to have this ability.  I don't have clever symbols that all need to be copied, but I do have colours and they don't copy/paste.

Darlene

You are attributing a post to me that I did not make.  Please do not do this.  It's not helpful & it's misleading.

It's tricky. On one hand, I think a lot of people count on notebooks (and Evernote's existing structure) to organize their notes, but it would be tremendously useful if the platform was re-architected to treat notes like they are kept in one big folder, then distributed to notebooks as sortcut's or alias'. Then you could put notes into multiple notebooks. 

Adobe Lightroom and Bridge are good examples of how this works. You can put images or documents into "collections" no matter where they are on your system (without actually moving the files). Libraries on Windows 7 and up work this way as well.

Edit: Actually, playlists in iTunes or Spotify are a better way of thinking about this.

This could make the concept of note linking different, but maybe easier. Instead of linking to other notes in a note, you could put all related notes for a project or topic in one collection (even if they're permanently residing in your existing notebook structure).

I would love to hear from someone at Evernote on the feasibility of this. I have to imagine it would be a significant change, but I'm not a programmer.

Hmmm...sounds a lot like Evernote's tags.

• Level 5*

I doubt that that's going to change. Notebooks are the containers that notes live in; a note belongs to exactly one notebook. That would be a fairly large change, and wouldn't really buy much, if any, more expressiveness or organizational power...

...since the Adobe system you are describing is similar to organizing your Evernote notes via tags. .

Hmmm...sounds a lot like Evernote's tags.

Not exactly. Yes, saved searches will do this, but until saved search (creation) is supported on mobile, it's useless to me, not to mention the fact that it's a kludgey way of doing what I described.

• Level 5*

Not exactly. Yes, saved searches will do this, but until saved search (creation) is supported on mobile, it's useless to me, not to mention the fact that it's a kludgey way of doing what I described.

Saved searches are supported on Android, and have been for awhile. Are you using a different mobile OS? BTW, BurgersNFries (who you quoted) referenced tags, not saved searches (as I did).

Okay, I'm going to weigh in on the subject. Having the ability for a single note to appear in multiple locations is very powerful and I assumed was going to be a very BASIC feature of the product. Since the EN staff can't seem to get the use case... let me attempt one.  I have an IFTTT recipe that has given me great joy by logging every single phone call made or received to a notebook called JOURNAL (a different set also syncs them to my Google calendar where they appear all day long). Now, I can add notes to the call notes and have a complete record. Some calls are for myself, some for clients and some for my daughter.  I would love to be able to simply tag a JOURNAL note with the name of my daughter jessie and have it appear in a NOTEBOOK that I share with her. We are working on a couple of different projects. Copying a link isn't the idea and making a copy of the note doesn't work either.

On another level, I have a lot of startup ideas and gather notes on tools for such ideas in a notebook BUSINESS TOOLS. Some apply to certain projects, some apply to several, and some to all.  I don't want to have to search for TAGS everytime I want to review a particular area. Not to mention if I could share just the relevant notebook to the distributed team concerned with particular project.

Not having this basic ability keeps EN limited to a UI based on the pile of note books moldering in my basement. 

-d

I have a different reason for wanting the same note to be in two (or more) notebooks: to save memory on a portable device. Granted, most of my notes are miniscule (shopping lists, for example); but occasionally I need to clip a fairly large web page, with a lot of images. I'd like to have one copy of that rather chunky note visible in two or more different notebooks.

I guess I could use tags, or a search, but that isn't as handy. Did I use "coupon" or did I use "discount"? I think you see what I mean.

I have a different reason for wanting the same note to be in two (or more) notebooks: to save memory on a portable device. Granted, most of my notes are miniscule (shopping lists, for example); but occasionally I need to clip a fairly large web page, with a lot of images. I'd like to have one copy of that rather chunky note visible in two or more different notebooks.

I guess I could use tags, or a search, but that isn't as handy. Did I use "coupon" or did I use "discount"? I think you see what I mean.

No, I don't.  I don't know how having multiple copies of a large note is supposed to save memory on a portable device.  And if you won't remember coupon/discount, simply make the tag coupons/discounts/rebates or use keywords in the note. 

Having multiple copies of a note is not the same thing as having one note in multiple notebooks. The former would presumably take up a new chunk of space for each copy, whereas the latter would simply use enough space to store a link.

In any case, once I dared to create two notes with the same title and found that the world didn't end, I simply created a second note with a link to the first. That isn't quite as automagic, but it accomplishes almost the same thing. You'd have discrepancies between the creation and modification dates, for example. So far as I can see, it's all small potatoes.

It would be a nice feature if there were a shortcut way of doing this, so you didn't have to go through multiple steps.

Having multiple copies of a note is not the same thing as having one note in multiple notebooks. The former would presumably take up a new chunk of space for each copy, whereas the latter would simply use enough space to store a link.

Which is what tags do for you (except you don't need a second note that has a link to the first one.)

By the way, searching for keywords in a web page doesn't work if (as is quite common) the text is actually part of an image. As I said, though, it's not as big a deal as I originally thought.

Keywords are words you type into the note to facilitate a future search. IE, if a note is contact information about John Shafer, I will add a keyword of Shaffer, so I don't have to remember how his name is spelled. And so yes, any keywords you add are searchable. The example you provided refers to the indexing/OCR'ing of text in an image, which is not the same as a keyword.

• Level 5*
I don't see how my reason(s) for needing a duplicate of a note would in any way be pertinent to an answer.

I'm interested to know why, but more importantly, I doubt the developers will invest resources into a feature without a reason, especially if it requires what I imagine would be a major change to the API, because it involves a fundamental change in the way notes behave. If you can convince them that it makes sense, and if it seems like millions of users might benefit from it, then you are more likely to see it adopted.

It's up to you, I guess, if you want to make a case for it or not. You mentioned an "answer." Did you have a question?

• Level 5

Which platform are you using?

In Windows you can create a copy of a note in another notebook.

Right Click and select Copy Note, then decide which notebook to put it in.

Then you will have 2 notes. They are not linked or connected. So a change in one will have no impact on the other.

Same on Mac. If you right-click on a note, you will get this menu.

As Jbenson said, doing that creates a totally separate note. At creation of the second note, its contents are identical to those of the first. But they are not at all related and will have different content as soon as you edit either one.

EDIT: If you're hoping to have the same individual note in two notebooks, you're out of luck. The point of notebooks is that they are discrete containers of different notes. You can add multiple tags to the same notes, however, so try organizing with tags to do that.

Thanks Guys - I am on a mac at work and when I right click ..I wan;t getting this but do at home ..on windows

in fact Im going to do it right now and see what menu I get..of course it will work now and be painfully obvious ...

OKi don't get those menus on this work mac..

i get:

back

reload

save as

print

arghhh

• Level 5*

Waving the Wiki flag here, but the "1 note in >1 places" thing is called "transclusion" where you embed a link that instead of showing a URL, shows the content at that address - whether it's a picture, text, or a fully formatted note.

I'd really like to see note links upgraded generally (see past comments elsewhere) and (Dear EN Santa) somewhere down the road it would be really good to get transclusion too.

Sam: I have no idea what that menu is. If you send a screen shot, maybe we can help more. Regardless, you may want to open a support ticket. Good luck with the issue, and keep us updated.

EDIT: I've also moved this conversation to the Mac client, since, if I understood you right, you're experiencing this problem on Mac.

Those are the menu choices, among others, that I get with an Evernote note open in a web browser. Are you using the Evernote client on the Mac or are you using a web browser to go to the web version of Evernote? If it is the latter then there probably is not a way to do what you want without using the client.

Ah, you're right, deverill. Sam, when you say you're "on a Mac" and "on Windows," are you actually using the Evernote clients for those operating systems, or are you using the web client by signing in at evernote.com, and you just happen to be using one operating system or the other?

On the web, you can only create web links to other notes. If you pop a note out to its own window, you can see and copy its URL. You can copy that into other notes, and then they will link to that note—but only on the web. (So if you click a web note link on a desktop client, it will open the note in your browser, not in the desktop client.) Only on the desktop clients (and maybe mobile clients?) can you create note links that link to other notes within the desktop app.

This would be really handy to keep one note in my notebook and an exact (fully updating) replica in a shared notebook.

Reason? I have a notebook called "Blog Ideas" and I solely look in this notebook and scroll up and down the hundreds of notes for the next post idea, at the same time these are useful to my friends who are researching too.

• Level 5*

This would be really handy to keep one note in my notebook and an exact (fully updating) replica in a shared notebook.

Reason? I have a notebook called "Blog Ideas" and I solely look in this notebook and scroll up and down the hundreds of notes for the next post idea, at the same time these are useful to my friends who are researching too.

Hi. Welcome to the forums! It's like the Inception version of syncing. On one level you sync your account, and on the second one you sync a note between different folders in an account. Although certainly an interesting idea, why not just use the one that is in the shared notebook? Why do you need a totally separate one that syncs to that note?

Hi. Welcome to the forums! It's like the Inception version of syncing. On one level you sync your account, and on the second one you sync a note between different folders in an account. Although certainly an interesting idea, why not just use the one that is in the shared notebook? Why do you need a totally separate one that syncs to that note?

I don't see how my reason(s) for needing a duplicate of a note would in any way be pertinent to an answer. I need the feature. I'm paying for this app. It makes zero sense that it is lacking when it's been available in several pda platforms for years. It'd be just great to receive a simple answer, preferably even a helpful one, regarding a feature I've been accustomed to using since 1995 on my Palm Pilot. Instantaneous note duplication with one click. Use it. Live it. Love it.

Thanks in advance..

• Level 5*

Using the iPad, where does a note go when you copy it? And how do you paste it into another notebook?

Hi. Welcome to the forums.

I am pretty sure I reported this at some point to the iOS team, but I think this is a horribly confusing feature on the iPad (hey guys -- don't prioritize fixing this over my other suggestions). "Copy" does not copy your note. It actually generates a shared link to your Evernote note that you can then give to people so that they can view your note. In other words, it makes your private note very public (I believe Google indexes all of these shared note links if you know how to look, though it doesn't index shared notebooks). You can, of course, also stop sharing as well. But, you will not be able to copy the note as "copy" would suggest (would anyone "intuitively" interpret "copy" to be note sharing?).

So, what to do? The solution is kind of cumbersome, but no big deal really. Email the note to your Evernote account. That will create a new note. And, you can even tell Evernote which notebook you want it to go into (use @notebook-name in the subject line) or tags (use #tag-name). The note will have a little bit of extra stuff in it to remove (hence, the cumbersome part), but it is easily done.

• Level 5*

@endless: Simple answer is that Evernote doesn't have what you seem to be looking for, regardless of whether it was once implemented on Palm Pilots, Commodore Amigas, PC Juniors, PDP-8s or IMB 360s. Current architecture is every note belongs to exactly one notebook; if you want access to a note from a different notebook, you need to use note links. It could be possible for Evernote to somehow pretend in the UI that a note link is actually a note, much like symlinks in a file system, it might even be useful, but they don't do that. So, it's fair game to request features, but Evernote tends not to discuss planned features until they're ready to go. So it's really pretty much what-you've-got-is-what-you-get.

BTW, you're paying for the service, not the app. Sure, the money that you pay goes towards making Evernote applications, but anyone can use the applications for free.

BTW redux: after re-reading your post, it seems that you aren't quite following the topic here: if you're asking for the ability to duplicate a note's content into a new separate note on mobile platforms, as you do in a separate forum thread, then that's one thing. This topic is about having notes live in more than one notebook, which is impossible with Evernote's current architecture.

I don't see how my reason(s) for needing a duplicate of a note would in any way be pertinent to an answer.

Because often there are other (maybe even better) ways to do something, when people know what the goal is.

regarding a feature I've been accustomed to using since 1995 on my Palm Pilot.

Sorry, but that reasoning ("we never did it that way before") just doesn't wash. 17 years in technology is a lifetime. Many things are going to be different.

Sorry, but that reasoning ("it's a critical function that's been around for years") just doesn't wash with people who cannot possibly know what they don't know. 17 years in technology is a lifetime. Many things will take years to catch up to the efficiencies of palm pda's.

I fixed your quote for you.

Seems jefito and grumpy monkey read a little bit extra into the OP's post. SamSydneyAustralia was simply asking how to copy an entire note into another notebook, not to additionally have it sync. Same with me. I don't want the copies to sync. I must be able to periodically create an exact duplicate of a note with one click, including bolding, characters, italics, indents, etc., for notes of sometimes thousands of letters, numbers, or even symbols such as these:【∂ ※ λ ↵ ℵ Ψ ₴ ⇝♘ ₫ ⇕ Ω ㎨ ♣ ώ ⊥ ₡ ⇲ ⅷ μ ↶ ∴ ϑ ≅ ✘ þ ∏ ◑ ∇ ∮ ฿ ⚁ ✓ ↹ ¶ ↯

• Level 5*

I think that answer was posted earlier on in this thread, as was the request to have a copy note that updated with the original. I don't think creating a copy was retained to be backwards compatible with some past technology - it's a pretty handy way to set up a template and be able to harmonise the layout or content of notes when you're doing something like curating. And my Android has 'send a copy' of a note as an option. If I use my account email address I can put that copy into any notebook with any tag(s) I require. The drawback of copying a note though is that it's an orphan; you'll always have to remember to recopy the original if you change it.

• Level 5*

Seems jefito and grumpy monkey read a little bit extra into the OP's post.

Hi. I never responded to the OP did I? The question was answered already by the time I joined the thread.

I responded to the idea of duplicating a note and having it sync to two different notebooks. Of course, you can easily copy a note, but as Gazumped said, that will create an independent note.

Correct me if i'm wrong, as I'm not easily offended, but I had Evernote on my Android when it was first released and used for yrs, before deleting and reinstalling and paying for multiple accounts, and i remember being able to have the same note assigned to two different notebooks, and then with one of the updates the option was no longer there.

You could create a note under a notebook, and then you could also select another notebook for that same note to reside (unless i'm off my rocker and i was using tags to have notes from two different notebooks to reside in the same tag).

Call me crazy if i'm wrong, and only someone whose used this for at least 5 yrs will remember, but if that option did exist it would be nice to have it back.

I could go into a long winded answer as to how it benefits how I use Evernote, but I'll spare you and just say that it made things much easier to find.

Correct me if i'm wrong, as I'm not easily offended, but I had Evernote on my Android when it was first released and used for yrs, before deleting and reinstalling and paying for multiple accounts, and i remember being able to have the same note assigned to two different notebooks, and then with one of the updates the option was no longer there.

You could create a note under a notebook, and then you could also select another notebook for that same note to reside (unless i'm off my rocker and i was using tags to have notes from two different notebooks to reside in the same tag).

Call me crazy if i'm wrong, and only someone whose used this for at least 5 yrs will remember, but if that option did exist it would be nice to have it back.

I could go into a long winded answer as to how it benefits how I use Evernote, but I'll spare you and just say that it made things much easier to find.

There was EverNote 1.x & 2.x (the Windows only, payware version of EN) that I never used. So I can't speak to those versions.

Since ~4/2008, there has been Evernote, the cross platform/cloud version. AFAIK & IME, that version has NEVER allowed notes to reside in multiple notebooks.

• Level 5*

Using any Evernote client a new note goes into whichever notebook you have chosen as your default notebook, or the one currently selected on your device. The note is saved on your local device in cache (temporary) memory if it's a mobile device, or in the Evernote folder if you have a desktop client. Again in all cases your note will be synced with the online database at Evernote Central unless you've specified otherwise by having a local-only notebook. Your mobile device will send the note as soon as it's connected to a network, the desktop may wait a while (your option to set) before it syncs.

The main thing to remember with mobile devices is: always save your note properly before you switch off!

Archived