(Archived) REQUEST: Means of horizontally splitting note view

Every day I enter a Note for my daily log. At the top of this Note is my TODO list for the day. As I work on tasks throughout the day, the details are entered lower in the note. Eventually the details have me scrolling to the bottom of the note, and the TODO list at the top is not visible without scrolling back up. It would be nice if I could horizontally "split" the Note window so that I can always see the TODO list at the top.

• Level 5*

No way to split on any client that I am aware of (Windows? Mac?). What one are you asking about?

On the Windows client you can always open a note in a separate Window, so you can have two views on the same note.

Welcome to the forums, BannerAd. First, what Jeff said is right. Could you tell us which client you're using? This discussion is best in the forum for that specific client. Second, the ability to open notes in separate windows also exists in the Mac client. That's probably the best method currently available to you to approximate what you're looking for.

Just guessing from my experience on the forum (and without any actual knowledge of what's going on at the company), this probably won't be implemented anytime soon. So far, Evernote has given no indication that they plan to allow for divisions within notes. I haven't seen your exact request before, but people have asked for things like bookmarks within notes (so the ability to insert a link to a lower point in a note), and so far Evernote hasn't suggested anything like that is coming to any client.

One other thing you could try is: At the start of the day, create two notes, one for your to-do list, and one for all the details you'll add over the course of the day. In each one, insert a link to the other. Then start adding details to the second note, while keeping the link to the to-do note at the bottom. That way, you can click back and forth between them all day long with just one click.

Oh, I guess you would need that, my primary client is Mac OS X. I've got this kid going on my Android device as well (HTC Rezound) and am dreaming of getting an Android Tablet someday.

The workarounds mentioned above would work without a doubt, its just my workflow to date has always been to put the days work onto a single page (Evernote is my most recent attempt to digitize a workflow that has been done on a Staedtler engineering computation pad for about 20 years now...one day in and its looking pretty good for Evernote!)

I really like this feature on old-school emacs and Microsoft Word has a similar feature that's triggered with some control they put in the scroll bar.

Oh, I guess you would need that, my primary client is Mac OS X. I've got this kid going on my Android device as well (HTC Rezound) and am dreaming of getting an Android Tablet someday.

The feature you were asking for is to be used on your desktop, on Mac, right? If so, I'll move the discussion to the Mac forum.

The workarounds mentioned above would work without a doubt, its just my workflow to date has always been to put the days work onto a single page

With Jeff's method, you still have everything in a single note. With the method I suggested, know this is an extra step, but you can just merge the notes at the end of the day, or C&P the text of one into the other.

(Evernote is my most recent attempt to digitize a workflow that has been done on a Staedtler engineering computation pad for about 20 years now...one day in and its looking pretty good for Evernote!)

As they say on the internet, :)

Archived