(Archived) REQUEST: Save full text automatically

A great feature would be for Evernote to pull in the full text of an article or Web page as the content of a note when I email a URL to my account, when I clip a URL using the Web clipper and don't take the time to clip text, or when I use an ifttt task to send articles I've saved to services like Instapaper and Pocket. Instapaper, Readability, and Pocket all do this when I email a URL to my accounts or use ifttt to send articles from other services to them.

Thanks. I've not found a Windows equivalent yet, but I'll keep looking.

It's good to know that others are seeking the same finctionality.

The reason this would be so useful to me is that I use Evernote to store all my stuff--Facebook posts, tweets, articles I save to various read later services, Pinterest posts, text messages, Instagram posts, etc. Then I can use Evernote's awesome and amazing search ability to find anything I've ever done. I don't bother much with notebooks because I can find things so easily. Instapaper sends article text for articles I "like." I use ifttt for the other stuff. Unfortunately, articles (except for those saved to Evernote in full or liked in Instapaper) can only be searched by title or words that might be in their URL.

A great feature would be for Evernote to pull in the full text of an article or Web page as the content of a note when I email a URL to my account, when I clip a URL using the Web clipper and don't take the time to clip text, or when I use an ifttt task to send articles I've saved to services like Instapaper and Pocket. Instapaper, Readability, and Pocket all do this when I email a URL to my accounts or use ifttt to send articles from other services to them.

Welcome to the forums, Mark. For what my one opinion is worth, I like your idea overall, but I hope the bolded part above is not implemented. The clipper offers the options of clipping URL, selection (when applicable), article, or whole page for a reason. If I've selected just the URL, there's a reason I haven't selected the article or the whole page, so I wouldn't want Evernote overriding that choice and putting the page content into my note. Can I ask why you sometimes choose the URL option if you want the article text?

And one off-(Evernote-)topic question: How do you get Readability to save the full text of an article if you email yourself the URL?

• 6 months later...

I would very much like to second this request. For two reasons, that are very important to my use of Evernote as archive of important read articles:

• Articles forwarded through IFTTT after I read them in Pocket (on one of my various [Android/Windows] devices) are now only saved as a link, but I really need my archive of read articles in full text
  • An article link that I 'share' to Evernote from my Android phone or tablet, notably from Twitter apps, is now only shown as a link, but would only really work work as archive (and read later function) if the full text could be drawn in

Maybe make an option to draw in a full text article from a link into existing notes? So I imagine to open a note in the Evernote desktop/web app, select a link and then tell the app to draw in the full article from that page if it can clip it (so not the entire page, only the article, would be best for me)?

To have a simple routine not forcing me to go to the article on the web again and copy-paste its text (not to make a duplicate note one with only a link one with the full thing if I would use the clipper) this would already help me tremendously.

Archived