ScanSnap Advantages

blackcows

I need to replace my all in one printer and after becoming an Evernote user last year I have seen information about ENs relationship with ScanSnap. From what I can gather the only real advantage of this relationship is that ScanSnap comes preconfigued with a one touch EN upload. It appears that you can do the same with software such as HP but it does take some manual configuration. Am I understanding correctly?

All things considered equal, althougth I understand they are not, is there any real advantage to buying a ScanSnap scanner based on just the built in EN capabilities? I am trying to understand how important or helpful this feature is and if it should have any bearing on my decision as it relates to a new printer\scanner.

Mike

I use the flatbed scanner about 0.1% for my scanning needs, thick pages, over sized, or for some hard to fit into ScanSnap pages. The big advantage of ScanSnap is its speed, and that you can copy both sides of a page in one pass. You just load it and get the next batch of paper ready, letting SS do its thing. It will copy and then run all of the documents through its built in OCR program. I am using a SS 1300, you can find one online for around $245, it is a good investment, [i am in no way affiliated with ScanSnap]

Regards,

David in Wichita

I use the flatbed scanner about 0.1% for my scanning needs, thick pages, over sized, or for some hard to fit into ScanSnap pages. The big advantage of ScanSnap is its speed, and that you can copy both sides of a page in one pass. You just load it and get the next batch of paper ready, letting SS do its thing. It will copy and then run all of the documents through its built in OCR program. I am using a SS 1300, you can find one online for around $245, it is a good investment, [i am in no way affiliated with ScanSnap]

Regards,

David in Wichita

Thanks for the reply David, I understand that alot of people really like the scanner but I am specifically wondering if there is any advantages the ScanSnap offers as it relates to EN? They seem to claim some special relationship with EN but I can't understand why this scanner, as it relates to EN, would offer any advantage over any other scanner.

AFAIK, there is no particular "Evernote" advantage to getting a Scansnap. As a scanaholic, I've acquired a fleet of scanners. None are a Scansnap, but I guess I should consider one. :) Anyway, my MO is to scan to my hard drive b/c I also retain copies of most of the scans on my hard drive. That whole not putting all my eggs in one basket thing. And some scans I put into Dropbox for fast/easy access with my phone, such as doctor/hair appointments. (I put those in my calendar too. But being a bit on the OC side, I like accessing the original b/c there has been at least one time when I typo'd the appointment into my calendar. :o ) My scanning software asks me what file name I want. I assign a file name that I want my Evernote title to be. Once it's on my hard drive, I copy the file to my Evernote import folder where it gets sucked into Evernote, deleted from the import folder & the Evernote title is the file name. It's really not that cumbersome, IMO.

BTW, I still use my flatbed scanner quite a lot for scanning greeting cards I send and receive.

"Hello. My name is BurgersNFries and I'm a scanaholic."

I like the ScanSnap (as should be obvious from my site), but specifically from the perspective of saving into Evernote, no.

The ScanSnap doesn't do anything that the Canon imageFORMULA or even just (as BurgersNFries says) using Import Folders on Windows or an AppleScript on the Mac can do.

Agree with all of the above; however, I still think that the scansnap is one of the most amazing pieces of technology that i"ve ever owned. I have two SS1500 and I love them. I balked at the high price at first ($420 on Amazon) but finally ponied up and bought one for the house. When I saw what a terrific machine it was I bought a second one for the office. Scan snap does come with software that helps it integrate with Evernote (ie: scan into Evernote application) but like others here I ignore it. I scan into a seperate holding folder where I clean up and optimize the pdf, and them move that into the EN import folder. If you have a lot of scanning to do ie: an entire house or office, don't even hesitate for a second...get the SS1500 and make your life easier. The slower SS scanners will be far more frustrating to deal with as you scan thousands of documents.

• Level 5

Thanks for the answers...that is what I was looking for. Might end up with the scansnap but just wanted to make sure if I didn't that I wasn't giving up anything.

Just playing the percentages, you get an added advantage because many Evernote forum members own ScanSnap devices.

So you have a better chance of getting an answer to a ScanSnap related question.

Agree with all of the above; however, I still think that the scansnap is one of the most amazing pieces of technology that i"ve ever owned. I have two SS1500 and I love them. I balked at the high price at first ($420 on Amazon) but finally ponied up and bought one for the house. When I saw what a terrific machine it was I bought a second one for the office. Scan snap does come with software that helps it integrate with Evernote (ie: scan into Evernote application) but like others here I ignore it. I scan into a seperate holding folder where I clean up and optimize the pdf, and them move that into the EN import folder. If you have a lot of scanning to do ie: an entire house or office, don't even hesitate for a second...get the SS1500 and make your life easier. The slower SS scanners will be far more frustrating to deal with as you scan thousands of documents.

I agree with idoc. How much is your happiness worth? How much is your time worth? The ScanSnap S1500 or S1500M (Mac uses) will save time and frustration. And it comes bundled with Adobe Acrobat 9 Pro.

Thanks for the answers...that is what I was looking for. Might end up with the scansnap but just wanted to make sure if I didn't that I wasn't giving up anything.

Just playing the percentages, you get an added advantage because many Evernote forum members own ScanSnap devices.

So you have a better chance of getting an answer to a ScanSnap related question.

I hadn't initially thought about it like this but great point jbenson2.

• 2 years later...

I'm just about to get the Fujitsu ScanSnap and really wanted to use it with Evernote but also wanted to be able to keep the scanned PDFs locally. I've been searching high and low for the ability to get PDFs out of Evernote as it is not evident. I'd read this thread two or three times and still didn't get anywhere. BUT Jackolicious and Adjusting are correct! It can be done, quickly and simply, just not intuitively!

All you need to do in Evernote (Desktop version) is go to the Notebook with your PDFs, select all the notes, right click and select Save Attachments. You then select your directory and all PDFs are exported - as PDFs and not as attachments. Really simple! Please Evernote can you include this info in your documentation in a user friendly format. I'm not stupid but couldn't find this anywhere and only found it by looking for the "Export Attachments" option mentioned by Jackolicious (which I didn't find anyway!)  I'm using the Windows version so guess "Export Attachments" may be the Mac Version.

On the Windows client, you can utilize import folders when scanning, rather than exporting the scans from Evernote. Please search the board on import folders, if you need more information. Import folders only exist on the Windows client. However, there is a third party workaround for the Mac client.

AFAIK, there is no particular "Evernote" advantage to getting a Scansnap. As a scanaholic, I've acquired a fleet of scanners. None are a Scansnap, but I guess I should consider one. smile.png Anyway, my MO is to scan to my hard drive b/c I also retain copies of most of the scans on my hard drive. That whole not putting all my eggs in one basket thing. And some scans I put into Dropbox for fast/easy access with my phone, such as doctor/hair appointments. (I put those in my calendar too. But being a bit on the OC side, I like accessing the original b/c there has been at least one time when I typo'd the appointment into my calendar. ohmy.png ) My scanning software asks me what file name I want. I assign a file name that I want my Evernote title to be. Once it's on my hard drive, I copy the file to my Evernote import folder where it gets sucked into Evernote, deleted from the import folder & the Evernote title is the file name. It's really not that cumbersome, IMO.BTW, I still use my flatbed scanner quite a lot for scanning greeting cards I send and receive."Hello. My name is BurgersNFries and I'm a scanaholic."

Archived