(Archived) REQUEST: Sort note list by tag, notebook, or stack

clayc

Idea

Im trying to find a way that i can click on all notes, select a tag and then sort the list to be grouped by notebook or notebook stack. Similarly when i select a notebook stack i would like the option to sort by tags that are present in that stack.

Are there anyways to achieve any of these things in evernote? With tagging being so important in evernote im finding it strange that i cant sort a list by tags. Maybe im missing something?

Im using evernote on mac, ipad and iphone

Thanks.

54 replies to this idea

I would really really really like to add my voice to the request for a sort by Tags column. If there's an appropriate place to do that besides here I will gladly write/beg/plead/complain. It seems like such a basic functionality. I'm probably one of many people who has been converted to Evernote by the GTD system, and being able to sort by tags is really important for that. PLEASE ADD THIS FEATURE!!!!!!!!

• Level 5*
If there's an appropriate place to do that besides here I will gladly write/beg/plead/complain.

I changed the topic title to reflect the fact that this thread is essentially a feature request, so that will help Evernote staff to find it more easily (not that they're not already aware of it already).

Hey JMichael, I was looking into this (just this week I found out about TSW), and I realized of something interesting (maybe not as helpful as I would like).

With the missing feature on EN Mac to even show a tags column when looking on a specific notebook, you can try to log in to your EN account trough the web app client: The List View has the Tags column! Although you cannot sort by that column (curious thing is that it is the only one you cannot use to sort), but at least you can see the tags on your notes, and even check on which notes you have no tags at all (this was the first thing I was looking for: a list for my notes without any tags).

Do you know if maybe there is a search function on EN Mac to list the No-Tags notes? :huh:

• Level 5*

Hey JMichael, I was looking into this (just this week I found out about TSW), and I realized of something interesting (maybe not as helpful as I would like).

With the missing feature on EN Mac to even show a tags column when looking on a specific notebook, you can try to log in to your EN account trough the web app client: The List View has the Tags column!

radarp1, thanks for the suggestion to use the EN Web client. While it does provide a tags column, I don't much care for the look and feel of it. I guess I am just used to EN Win and EN Mac. IMO, we really a sortable tags column on EN Mac.

BTW, what do you mean by "TSW"?

• Level 5*

With the missing feature on EN Mac to even show a tags column when looking on a specific notebook, you can try to log in to your EN account trough the web app client: The List View has the Tags column!

radarp1, thanks for the suggestion to use the EN Web client. While it does provide a tags column, I don't much care for the look and feel of it. I guess I am just used to EN Win and EN Mac. IMO, we really a sortable tags column on EN Mac.

BTW, what do you mean by "TSW"?

The Secret Weapon. It's a pretty well-done site, but not my cup of organizational ocha.

I like the web client, and it has improved immensely over time. It even has features like search explanations that are lacking on the Mac client. I have it open a lot. However, the desktop app is more powerful and I am a lot more productive with it. I am sure the developers recognize that the Mac needs an update, but I imagine they have a lot on their plates with recent changes, and from my periodic wandering through the data files, I get a feeling they have been busy changing stuff behind the scenes. Anyhow, with ML and iOS 6 I am thinking we will have a very enjoyable and update-filled summer :)

I've been using EN, but only modestly for about a year and am not trying to set it up and embrace it to implement GTD and "The Secret Weapon". I'm on the mac OS. It looks like one can see tags in the list view on the PC, but not the Mac, is that really true? I can see the Notebook column, but not stacks or tags. Am I missing something or is this a difference between EN on the two platforms? I'm new to this forum, so I apologize for the redundancy in the post. Also, if you have a recommended link for EN users on Mac, please let me know.

Attached is a link of all the columns I can figure out how to see.

Thanks,

TWhite

post-97037-0-61053500-1340749565_thumb.p

• Level 5*

I've been using EN, but only modestly for about a year and am not trying to set it up and embrace it to implement GTD and "The Secret Weapon". I'm on the mac OS. It looks like one can see tags in the list view on the PC, but not the Mac, is that really true? I can see the Notebook column, but not stacks or tags. Am I missing something or is this a difference between EN on the two platforms? I'm new to this forum, so I apologize for the redundancy in the post. Also, if you have a recommended link for EN users on Mac, please let me know.

Attached is a link of all the columns I can figure out how to see.

Thanks,

TWhite

Hi! Welcome to the user forums! You are correct. There is no way to sort by tags on the Mac client. Hopefully, we will gain this feature in the future. In the meantime, I wonder if filtering by tags would address the problem for you. I think (I could be wrong - typing this on the move) putting tag:* in the search field would filter the view in the center pane to show only notes with tags.

I'll throw my voice in here to make this request as well. It seems like a pretty straightforward database cross-referencing problem, and I do hope the wonderful developers will include it soon!

Thanks Evernote team for a great product!

• Level 5*
You are correct. There is no way to sort by tags on the Mac client. Hopefully, we will gain this feature in the future. In the meantime, I wonder if filtering by tags would address the problem for you. I think (I could be wrong - typing this on the move) putting tag:* in the search field would filter the view in the center pane to show only notes with tags.

GM, I know you know that filtering and sorting are two different things.

But we must not contribute to confusion by the developers or users that one can be used in place of the other.

If I need to SORT on tags, that means I need to see a list of Notes that have DIFFERENT tags, but ordered by tags.

So, I might filter on tag:Evernote, and then SORT by Tags so I can see ALL of my Evernote Notes ordered by category (which I have implemented as tags).

Filtering by a tag, when I want to SORT by a tag, does not really help.

• Level 5*
You are correct. There is no way to sort by tags on the Mac client. Hopefully, we will gain this feature in the future. In the meantime, I wonder if filtering by tags would address the problem for you. I think (I could be wrong - typing this on the move) putting tag:* in the search field would filter the view in the center pane to show only notes with tags.

GM, I know you know that filtering and sorting are two different things.

But we must not contribute to confusion by the developers or users that one can be used in place of the other.

If I need to SORT on tags, that means I need to see a list of Notes that have DIFFERENT tags, but ordered by tags.

So, I might filter on tag:Evernote, and then SORT by Tags so I can see ALL of my Evernote Notes ordered by category (which I have implemented as tags).

Filtering by a tag, when I want to SORT by a tag, does not really help.

I made it exceedingly clear in my post that the sort feature does not exist, that I would like to see it, and that there may be a workaround filtering by tags that would help the user. Where is the confusion here?

I did not put the words in all-caps as you did, but I think the developers are intelligent enough to know the difference between sort and filter, and they know from this thread and others that I would like to see the sort feature added to the client. Every post does not have to be an attack on the client or the developers :)

I am sorry that my suggestion does not help you, but you'll note that it was addressed to another user as a suggestion for a workaround. It is not a solution, but a way to deal with the app we have now. I am quite sure you are familiar with the options available :)

• Level 5*

Evernote 3.3 has a tag column! Enjoy!

Direct download version: http://evernote.s3.a...note_300201.dmg

App store version: http://itunes.apple....406056744?mt=12

Jack, this is really good news!

I have two questions for you:

1. Does the EN Mac 3.3 Release version fix all of the bugs reported in Beta 1 and Beta 2 for it?
  2. Do you plan to post a new thread for this release to document the new features and bug fixes?

• Level 5

1. We fixed *a lot* of bugs in 3.3. I'll never say "all"... you know that! :)
  2. I don't plan on posting a thread specifically about 3.3. It's GA, so I'll let folks post threads about individual issues.

Glad you're happy!

• Level 5*
  1. We fixed *a lot* of bugs in 3.3. I'll never say "all"... you know that! :)

I don't understand why you guys are so reluctant to post which bugs were fixed.

Most of us don't have time to go through an exhaustive matrix of bugs to determine which were fixed, and which were not.

If you could at least post the bugs you know that you did not fix, it would be really helpful to us, save us a lot of time, and help us to avoid or establish work-arounds the bug.

Thanks.

• Level 5

We're not. We just don't include *every* bug in the release notes because most people don't run into or care about *every* bug.

You asked if we fixed "all the bugs." The answer is probably not, but we fix as many as we can and focus on the most painful ones for our users.

• Level 5*

We're not. We just don't include *every* bug in the release notes because most people don't run into or care about *every* bug.

You asked if we fixed "all the bugs." The answer is probably not, but we fix as many as we can and focus on the most painful ones for our users.

There have been a number of major bugs in the betas for both EN Mac and EN Win.

Yet, in the release notes for EN Mac 3.3.0 GA, you provided the most minimal statement of what was fixed:

Fixed numerous Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion crashes and issues

That provides no actionable info. You might as well have said: "We fixed some bugs".

I appreciate that not everyone wants to know which bugs were fixed.

A lot of software companies handle this by providing a link to a page that lists the bugs that were fixed.

So you are a long, long ways from providing *every* bug that was fixed.

I challenge you to review the Release Notes history, and make an objective evaluation of just how much "bug fix" info you are really providing.

You ask us to help test and debug your software, but then you tie our hands behind our back.

There is a lot you could to do to help us help you.

In the end, we both want the same thing: as few bugs as possible.

Jackolicious and all the other Evernote employees, thanks for adding the tag column feature in Evernote 3.3 for Mac.

@JMichael - it's not all that practical for them to list every bug they fix with each release. If you look at a project that has an open bug tracker like Firefox, you see that even with a release they may fix hundreds of small to major bugs while adding many new features: (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/7.0/releasenotes/). Listing each one would be like information diarrhea in the release notes (https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/7.0/releasenotes/buglist.html), as many bugs are for extreme corner cases or compatibility issues with other software or devices. If you read the release notes carefully, you can see which items people were probably clamoring for or affected by the most: tag column, not being able to click the activity stream items, checkboxes and lists of items. Not saying you're wrong about visibility into what a release fixes, just saying that for Evernote, a release note should highlight what they feel is important so users can start using the features and capabilities that the team worked hard on.

• Level 5*

@JMichael - it's not all that practical for them to list every bug they fix with each release.

ENhp,

Both you and Jack made the same mistake of grossly exaggerating my request concerning bugs.

I have never asked for a listing of ALL bugs.

What I have asked for is a list of the MAJOR bugs that were fixed.

I'm OK with leaving it up to Evernote to determine which bugs are major.

I do think it would benefit a lot of users.

What I really object to is providing a statement like the below, without any details whatsoever:

* Fixed numerous Snow Leopard and Mountain Lion crashes and issues

Certainly I'm confused, so someone please set me straight on sorting by notebooks and then tags. Here's what I used to do in previous versions of Evernote that worked for me

I'd select a Notebook in the left column. Then, I would Command-Click on Tags to filter and find what I had to do (I'm a Mac user).

Use case: To find my Actions Pending for stuff to do at Work that needed to be done Now....I clicked Action Pending in left column and then I'd Command Click @ Work and Now. The resulting Notes filtered what had to be done Now. This was quick and easy.

Evernote 5 doesn't allow me to Command Click on Notebooks and Tags. I can sort and filter by going through a way more laborious "Add Search Option" in the search bar. Please bring back the old way!

BTW, on a positive note, I just downloaded a revised Evernote 5 and the drag and drop to Tags DOES work and I am happy about that. Thanks EV team - esp. Jackolicious.

• Level 5*
Certainly I'm confused, so someone please set me straight on sorting by notebooks and then tags. Here's what I used to do in previous versions of Evernote that worked for me

There are two different operations going on here:

Selecting a notebook or a tag is a "selection"operation: it selects notes in the chosen notebook, or selects notes that have the chosen tag. All that this does is causes those notes to appear in whatever note list you are using (List, Snippet, Thumbnail, whatever). You can use multiple criteria to select notes shown in the note list, using Search: e.g., notes containing specified text with a specified tag, notes from a specified notebook updated later than a specified sate, and so on. In particular you canspecify notebook and tag to give you all notes with that notebook and that tag.

"Sorting" is something different: it just orders the selected notes in the note list according to some criterion, could be title, updated date, notebook, size, etc. In this case, they've evidently (I'm a WIndows user) added a "Tags" column, which allows you to sort on the tags that the selected notes contain. You only get to sort on one criterion at a time in Evernote.

How you do these in the Mac client is not my realm; I'm sure that someone can enlighten you on the procedures.

• Level 5*

by the way, it is so much better than the mac: search explanations, sorting options, and lack of formatting bugs (so far). if not for the netbook i have to access it with, i'd be pretty happy!

it definitely isn't as pretty, but i feel a lot more productive.

I agree about the EN Win client. Anyone who uses both will immediately see how big the difference is.

I've seen a lot of users in the forums who mention that they use one EN client at work, and another at home.

It is a frustrating, and productivity-limiting experience for all of us.

I am maintaining a list of differences in functional features (functions, not form). See my signature for the list.

If you, or anyone, knows of a feature missing from my list, please let me know an I will add it.

I can only hope that someone at Evernote will view this list from time-to-time, and consider updating the EN Mac client.

• Level 5*

Unfortunately Evernote has not seen fit to add a Tag column to the Note list or allow sorting by Tags in the EN Mac client.

It is available in EN Win from the beginning of Ver 4 (well over a year ago), but not EN Mac.

• Level 5*

maybe i am confused, but even if you cannot "sort" by tags, wouldn't "filtering" by tags achieve the same results? put "tage:name" into the search bar.

i admit, i have only recently begun usin the windows client more, and i haven't messed with the tag sort .

• Level 5*

maybe i am confused, but even if you cannot "sort" by tags, wouldn't "filtering" by tags achieve the same results? put "tage:name" into the search bar.

No. "Sort" and "Filter" do NOT mean the same thing, and are, generally, not used for the same purpose.

Filtering by a Tag EXCLUDES all Notes that do not have that tag.

Sorting by a Tag lists all of the Notes, but ordered by Tag.

So, I may want to Filter by "Evernote" and then Sort by Tag, where my Tags are EN.Mac, EN.Win, EN.iPad etc (only of these on each note, usually).

This lets me see ALL of my notes concerning Evernote, ordered by the EN client.

I see/hear a lot of people use these terms interchangeably, so I think there is some confusion in general.

Does this help?

I support a tag column in Mac, since I think it could be helpful, but if I understand clayc correctly s/he's asking for more than that—or something different.

Im trying to find a way that i can click on all notes, select a tag and then sort the list to be grouped by notebook or notebook stack. Similarly when i select a notebook stack i would like the option to sort by tags that are present in that stack.

Full implementing of this request seems to require new Sort By options, not just a tag column.

Also about this question:

Are there anyways to achieve any of these things in evernote? With tagging being so important in evernote im finding it strange that i cant sort a list by tags. Maybe im missing something?

As JMichael mentioned, a tag column is available in the Windows client. There's no way that I know of to sort by notebook (after selecting a tag) in any client.

• Level 5*

No. "Sort" and "Filter" do NOT mean the same thing, and are, generally, not used for the same purpose.

Filtering by a Tag EXCLUDES all Notes that do not have that tag.

Sorting by a Tag lists all of the Notes, but ordered by Tag.

So, I may want to Filter by "Evernote" and then Sort by Tag, where my Tags are EN.Mac, EN.Win, EN.iPad etc (only of these on each note, usually).

This lets me see ALL of my notes concerning Evernote, ordered by the EN client.

I see/hear a lot of people use these terms interchangeably, so I think there is some confusion in general.

Does this help?

yes. thank you.

i am quite familiar with the distinction between sorting and filtering, though.

what i don't quite understand is the sorting of tags. i thought that i would be able to type in "tag:*" on the mac and see all of the notes that had tags in the same order as the sort on windows (yes, i am aware that the sorting and filtering works differently, but i think the results on the screen ought to be the same, right?). however, this appears not to be the case. perhaps this is an illegal search operand.

i don't really get the sort order on windows. it is neither alphabetical nor by date updated. it has shown me one thing, though. i have more doubled notes. where are these coming from?! ugh.

Does Evernote Windows automatically alphabetize tags like the Mac client does? (I don't have access to a Windows machine.) If it's the same behavior, would you have to use special characters to force a primary tag to the front for sorting purposes? Or use a single tag? I'm having a hard time grasping the usefulness of sorting by tag if one is applying multiple tags (in alphabetical order) to a note.

Full implementing of this request seems to require new Sort By options, not just a tag column.

This I'd like to see. In addition to the oft-requested feature of notebook-specific sorting preferences, there are some interesting ways the Sort by menu could be made even more powerful. "Sort by Date Viewed" would be a nice start. The vast majority of my Evernote contents are research materials that I never actually update but view frequently. I'd love to see those notes bumped to the top of the pile.

• Level 5*

MS Outlook does this, on Windows, anyways. It is called 'GroupBy', and it's pretty flexible and powerful. It's been requested for Evernote before.

Does Evernote Windows automatically alphabetize tags like the Mac client does? (I don't have access to a Windows machine.) If it's the same behavior, would you have to use special characters to force a primary tag to the front for sorting purposes? Or use a single tag? I'm having a hard time grasping the usefulness of sorting by tag if one is applying multiple tags (in alphabetical order) to a note.

Both clients have identically functioning tag trees in the left panel, under notebooks. In list view, however, Windows, also offers a column to sort by the first alphabetical tag on each note.

• Level 5*

As JMichael mentioned, a tag column is available in the Windows client. There's no way that I know of to sort by notebook (after selecting a tag) in any client.

To sort by Notebook with results filtered by a tag:

1. Click "All Notes" to make sure all Notebooks are are shown
  2. Enter "tag:<yourTagName>" in search box
  3. Show List View
  4. Click on "Notebook" column title to sort results by Notebook

• Level 5*

i am quite familiar with the distinction between sorting and filtering, though.

what i don't quite understand is the sorting of tags. i thought that i would be able to type in "tag:*" on the mac and see all of the notes that had tags in the same order as the sort on windows (yes, i am aware that the sorting and filtering works differently, but i think the results on the screen ought to be the same, right?). however, this appears not to be the case. perhaps this is an illegal search operand.

What do you mean by "what i don't quite understand is the sorting of tags."? The example you give is a FILTER by tags.

You cannot SORT by tags on the Mac because there is no Tags column.

The search expression "tag:*" is valid, and it works fine for me in both EN Mac and EN Win.

When I use the same filter as you, and then SORT by "Updated Date" in both EN Mac and EN Win, then I see the exact same list of Notes, in the exact same order.

i don't really get the sort order on windows. it is neither alphabetical nor by date updated. it has shown me one thing, though. i have more doubled notes. where are these coming from?! ugh.

You can set the sort order in EN Win two different ways:

1. In Snippet view, click on the button that says "Notes by <ColumnName>"
  2. In List View, just click on the Column Name to sort by that column

If you have two clients that show different total number of notes, Owyn has suggested using the EN Web client as a reference, as it is supposedly the most accurate. Why there should ever be a difference is beyond me.

Does this help?

• Level 5*

thanks. i am not making myself clear here, and it isn't worth the effort to educate me, because i probably just need to become more familiar with the windows client.

by the way, it is so much better than the mac: search explanations, sorting options, and lack of formatting bugs (so far). if not for the netbook i have to access it with, i'd be pretty happy!

• Level 5*

I agree about the EN Win client. Anyone who uses both will immediately see how big the difference is.

I've seen a lot of users in the forums who mention that they use one EN client at work, and another at home.

It is a frustrating, and productivity-limiting experience for all of us.

I am maintaining a list of differences in functional features (functions, not form). See my signature for the list.

If you, or anyone, knows of a feature missing from my list, please let me know an I will add it.

I can only hope that someone at Evernote will view this list from time-to-time, and consider updating the EN Mac client.

for me, the big change came when i updated to lion last month. i got a lot of nice features, because the mac interface is getting very pretty, but i lost the search explanation bar. that was a shock. i didn't realize how much i depended on being able to see that. there are lots of other things, but this is what pushed me from being a casual windows user (in a pinch) to using it on a regular basis.

3. Show List View

But JMichael, I don't understand. From my memory of what the tags column in Windows is like (I no longer have the netbook that I used to use Evernote Windows with), your four steps don't reproduce what the tags column does, but for notebooks.

In your steps, I can only see one notebook's notes at a time. With the tags column, I can see notes with more than one tag on them. That's what I meant by "There's no way that I know of to sort by notebook (after selecting a tag) in any client." Was I wrong? Is there actually a way to sort by notebooks just like the tags column lets you sort by tag--that is, without changing the list of notes?

And I totally agree with GrumpyMonkey. With the Mac client search having more and more search problems with each update (at least for me), I'm already really missing my recently sold netbook.

• Level 5*
That's what I meant by "There's no way that I know of to sort by notebook (after selecting a tag) in any client." Was I wrong? Is there actually a way to sort by notebooks just like the tags column lets you sort by tag--that is, without changing the list of notes?

Since tags can be attached to any note in any notebook, you can filter by tag (what I think you mean by 'selecting a tag'; i.e., show all notes that have that tag attached), and have notes from more than one notebook in your note list. Sort by notebook, and you haven't lost any notes from your note list' they're just shown in a different order.

• Level 5*

3. Show List View

But JMichael, I don't understand. From my memory of what the tags column in Windows is like (I no longer have the netbook that I used to use Evernote Windows with), your four steps don't reproduce what the tags column does, but for notebooks.

In your steps, I can only see one notebook's notes at a time. With the tags column, I can see notes with more than one tag on them. That's what I meant by "There's no way that I know of to sort by notebook (after selecting a tag) in any client." Was I wrong? Is there actually a way to sort by notebooks just like the tags column lets you sort by tag--that is, without changing the list of notes?

Peter, maybe I don't understand your issue/question, but it is easy to SORT the Note list by Notebook AFTER you have applied any filter, including one or more tags. Maybe a screen shot will help what I am trying to say.

I followed the same procedure as above, except for #2 I clicked on the tag "Evernote" to filter the results by that tag.

Screen Shot from EN Mac 3.1.0 RC: [Edit: corrected ver#]

EN_Mac_Sort_by_Notebook.png

EDIT: Image display fixed.

I can only support that a tag column is available in the overview.

I use EN at Win at work and on Mac at home, and the tag column in Win helps to keep the overview of my tags

This require that the tags are set up in a good system

- I use #1_Privat, #2_Work, #3_Networkgroup

other tags will be shown after these tags in the overview

I want all my notes to have one of the "# tags" - but sometimes I forget to add it when I make the note.

The column is a big help to secure that I have my notes organized as I want them

• Level 5*
With the tags column, I can see notes with more than one tag on them. That's what I meant by "There's no way that I know of to sort by notebook (after selecting a tag) in any client." Was I wrong? Is there actually a way to sort by notebooks just like the tags column lets you sort by tag--that is, without changing the list of notes?

Peter, here's a EN Win 4.5.5 Screen Shot showing the Tags Column, with the Notes sorted by Notebook:

EN_Win_4.5.5_Sort_by_NB.gif

Now, here's a screen shot of an example showing the benefit of SORTING by the Tags Column (available ONLY in EN Win):

EN_Win_Sort_by_Tags.gif

There are lots of benefits to sorting by Tags. Here are a couple:

1. Greatly helps me find and fix tag errors, and refine my tagging system.
  2. Let's me browse my Notes in a more logic, subject matter order
  3. Allows me to do analysis

1. how many EN Mac betas vs EN Win betas
    2. How often do the betas occur
    3. How often am I finding bugs

I'm going to start a new thread on
Difference Between EN Win and EN Mac Sort Fields:
EN_Sort_Fields_Diff.gif
The lack of parity is appalling. EN Win has 17 Sort Fields, whereas EN Mac has only 5.
  • Level 5*

yep. i was shocked at how much better the windows version has become (or i just never knew about all of these sorting options). along with the search explanation bar, and easy access to metadata, it makes everything so much easier to do. heck, even the list view is better. my mac interface is pretty (i think they did a great job there), but so much less useful. my ipad interface looks like a toy.

if i was a windows user, i'd probably change my workflow just to take advantage of all that. alas, the netbook is too small.

JMichael, I don't think we were ever disagreeing, but I was wrong about what's offered on both the Mac and Windows clients. Thanks for the information, especially the screen shots. I had no idea Windows had so many Sort By options. You and GrumpyMonkey are making me less happy with the Mac options daily. And I hadn't realized you can sort by notebook in Mac list view, since I always use snippet view (I need the note list to the side, and list view isn't currently available on the side on Mac). Thanks again.

• Level 5*

JMichael, I don't think we were ever disagreeing, but I was wrong about what's offered on both the Mac and Windows clients. Thanks for the information, especially the screen shots. I had no idea Windows had so many Sort By options. You and GrumpyMonkey are making me less happy with the Mac options daily. And I hadn't realized you can sort by notebook in Mac list view, since I always use snippet view (I need the note list to the side, and list view isn't currently available on the side on Mac). Thanks again.

i'm drifting over to windows and android at the moment. playing around with the android app. nice. very nice. if windows does a better job with my formatting (still getting funky stuff on occasion in mac) i may be moving back to windows. i've been moving back and forth between windows and mac all my life (usually because of a particular app or capability, that eventually gets replicated in windows -- evernote is a rare case of being much better in the windows environment), so it isn't a big deal. i will miss the mbp, though.

• Level 5*

i'm drifting over to windows and android at the moment. playing around with the android app. nice. very nice. if windows does a better job with my formatting (still getting funky stuff on occasion in mac) i may be moving back to windows.

Well, you have to do what works best for you. I'm sticking with the Mac. The MBA-13 is the best computer I have ever used.

While Evernote has been stating that they intend to have parity across platforms, actions, or lack of actions, speak louder than words.

I understand that at any point in time one platform or another my have a new feature that is still in development in the other platforms. But since the dev teams are separate, I don't understand how EN Mac can still be missing so many EN Win features after years. In fact, based on my experience as a cross-platform developer, it is definitely possible to maintain the same feature set for both platforms on a timely basis.

Mac sales are up. I see more new threads/posts in the EN Mac forum than in the EN Win forum. Whether this means more Mac users, or that Mac Users have more EN problems/requests, I don't know.

• Level 5*

the grass is always greener on the other side. :)

except, this time it really is greener, objectively speaking. besides the look of the mac app, and the fact that you can search databases from outside of evernote (admittedly, a mixed blessing for some people), i can't think of any features at the moment on the mac version that are superior.

Archived