(Archived) Numerous Duplicates of the Same Web Clipping - Now No Space Left!

james_uk

Hi,

Although I first created an account with Evernote some years ago it is only in the last wek that I have come back to Evernote. I was looking for a smart way to organise my data and someone suggested Evernote to me. At first glance it all looked great and seemed to have come a long way from my early dalliance with the product. However today I hit a BIG problem.

I am using Evernote on a Mac and I am using the Google Web Clipper Extension. I started putting a few web clips into various notebooks and all seemed well. Earlier today I did the same and when I cam back to my Mac later in the day I discovered that I now had 162 copies of the same note! I am now at my maximum allowance and I suspect that is the only reason the number has not climbed higher. This is really disappointing as I had been really impressed up until this happened. I also (assuming I can stop this) no longer have any monthly allowance left to further play with and asses the product. I am looking to purchase the premium version but this is making me think twice.

Please can someone let me know if anyone else has experienced this problem (as quick search of the forum didn't come back with anything) and let me have some advice as to how to try and solve it?

I have attached an extract from the log file. The web clipping is entitled "Add jQuery Autocomplete to Your Site's Search | Wptuts+"

Thanks in advance.

James.

Evernote_221382_2012-04-15.txt

Welcome to the forums, James. This happened to me once about six months ago, but the clipped page "only" showed up nine times. It has not happened again since.

This is clearly not how Evernote is supposed to work, so you should file a support ticket (support.evernote.com) to alert Evernote to the problem. As a non-employee, I obviously can't speak for the company, but if a true bug (meaning nothing at all that you did, like accidentally press the clip button 162 times, which seems doubtful) caused this problem, I hope they can and will reset your upload amount for this month to what it was before the clipper ate up the rest of your allowance. Please keep us updated on what Evernote support tells you, and whether/how they resolve the problem for you. Good luck.

Hi Peterfmartin,

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and for the great advice. I have now submitted a support ticket with Evernote and I will update this forum posting to let you know how it all works out.

Thanks again.

James.

For anyone that also runs into this - I've been having the same issue here. It's happened multiple times, and just keeps getting worse. I've uninstalled Evernote, reinstalled the newest beta -- still it's duplicating notes. I was initially running the free version - and this happened, so I got the premium version in order to keep clipping job articles. Now, it's duplicated thousands and thousands of the same 2 clippings, and I've run out of space again. I'm in touch with support -- so far nothing has helped. I'd like to keep using Evernote as it's convenient, but I can't keep upping my storage just to have it fill up with garbage duplicates. If I trash the duplicates, they will come back, or another note or clipping will start duplicating. It's really become unusable.

If anyone else has come across this and found a solution, would be interested to know.

Moved this to the Web forum where it will get more attention.

We are looking into these reports. A few things that could help:

- Uninstall and then re-install the Web Clipper extension.

- If yo can post the URL where this was originally observed that is helpful.

@james I will send you a beta build of the new clipper and see if that resolves the issue.

Hi, Thanks for the reply, I will look forward to receiving the beta build of the new clipper from you. In the meantime can you let me have additional storage s that I can carry on evaluating your product?

Should I just go ahead an delete the duplicates?

I did notice shortly after submitting my forum post (and support request) that there was a yellow "i" in the Chrome Web Clipper and when I hovered over it it said "Uploading Unsaved Clips". This message never went away. I immediately realised that the problem must be with the clipper and stopped and restarted Chrome. The message went away. Of course, with no storage left I have been unable to do anything since.

Regards,

James.

• Level 5*

Should I just go ahead an delete the duplicates?

I did notice shortly after submitting my forum post (and support request) that there was a yellow "i" in the Chrome Web Clipper and when I hovered over it it said "Uploading Unsaved Clips". This message never went away. I immediately realised that the problem must be with the clipper and stopped and restarted Chrome. The message went away. Of course, with no storage left I have been unable to do anything since.

If I were having this problem, here is what I would do:

(proceed at your own risk -- may not be the best solution for you)

1. Uninstall Chrome
  2. Delete all dup Notes in Evernote
  3. Sync Evernote
  4. Use a different browser until you have something concrete from Evernote support

I've used both Chrome and FireFox. Chrome has a few advantages, but I really like FF, and have never had any problems with it.

Good luck. Hope things work out OK for you soon.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have exactly the same problem in Firefox 17.0.1.

Except that it doesn't go away. Ever. I stopped, restarted, removed, reinstalled, ... the messages keeps appearing (and the notes keep uploading).

• 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Archived