REQUEST: duplicate a note

why?

Idea

24 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

It wasn't something I ever felt a need to snark at Evernote over, but I was guessing that it was one of the easier things that they could do that would be immediately useful, and they did a nice job at it, and so I'm happy.

• Level 5*

For anyone that finds this thread, this now seems to be implemented on the iOS client. You can't do a bulk duplicate, that I've found, but you can go into a single note; click the ellipsis (...) icon and select Duplicate from the menu. It'll pop up a copy of the note and you can select the notebook into which you'd like to duplicate it.

Being able to do this in bulk would be useful, but less important in my opinion.

Unfortunately there is no multi-select on the iOS clients, so there are a lot of things you cannot do, like move, copy, tag, delete, etc. more than one note at a time.

For anyone that finds this thread, this now seems to be implemented on the iOS client. You can't do a bulk duplicate, that I've found, but you can go into a single note; click the ellipsis (...) icon and select Duplicate from the menu. It'll pop up a copy of the note and you can select the notebook into which you'd like to duplicate it.

Being able to do this in bulk would be useful, but less important in my opinion.

I would seriously take some earlier advice and buy a macbook air. I finally, became tired of the stunted functionality of most mobile apps. iPhones are more powerful than computers of 15 years ago, yet they do not have anywhere near the functionality. The only reason is to keep people paying for conduit apps that leave many people frustrated.

I now have a macbook air and it's great to have your complete mac system on hand. Incidentally the macbook air is only 2 inches longer than an ipad and the same height. Weight difference is negligible.

This has solved the issue for me, plus no reformatting issues between devices.

Yes it would be handy. I set up a note for a particular type of meeting today, in a particular notebook and with specific tags. I will have more of this type of meeting and and would be great to just duplicate it on the iPad and inherit all that set up and then change the name and content.

For now, I will do what has been suggested and make a bunch of duplicated dummy notes on my Mac, but you can't anticipate every need of this type. Easier when you can duplicate any note.

You can easily duplicate template notes by emailing them to yourself. If you have placed your Evernote email in your contacts, it is super simple.

Would be an easy workaround if true. For purposes of logical sequencing and organization within my notes, I separate many "things" vertically as well as by using the long spaces available on many pda kepboards. Unfortunately, Evernote wasn't programmed to retain such simple formatting. Copying and pasting for me is totally unacceptable as it renders all the hours of the tedious separation of information useless. The "paste" part simply dumps large masses of run-on data. Sure it could possibly be reformatted, if I had hours to waste and extra brain cells to burn trying to remember how things were "formatted."

I wholeheartedly agree it is quite ridiculous that a function as basic as "duplicate note" is apparently missing from an app with a reputation of being a "notes" app..

You can easily duplicate template notes by emailing them to yourself. If you have placed your Evernote email in your contacts, it is super simple.

While this is a possible work-around, I would NOT consider it "super simple" or "easy", at least not as compared to the Copy Note feature implemented in EN Win and EN Mac.

For users that rely mostly on the iPad, I would consider this a sorely needed feature. Before it was implemented in EN Win and EN Mac, there were many, many requests for it.

Considering the copy/paste method, I think it is easy. I never do the copy and paste very well. Your point is taken that it isn't as easy as the duplicate note function in the MAC and WIN clients. Still, it is a decent enough work around that really gets the job done. Thanks for the kind reply.

• Level 5*

While this is a possible work-around, I would NOT consider it "super simple" or "easy", at least not as compared to the Copy Note feature implemented in EN Win and EN Mac.

For users that rely mostly on the iPad, I would consider this a sorely needed feature. Before it was implemented in EN Win and EN Mac, there were many, many requests for it.

It's a fair request; they were missing in the Windows client for awhile, but they finally added them, and I used them often. I'm sure they're on the list.

Yeah, I should have said...until they roll out this feature on iOS....first....

Well, FWIW, the "not yet rolled out on OS" part was previously mentioned & apparently not acceptable to OP.

I don't think this has been rolled out to the iOS app, yet. So you'd have to copy/paste to a new note.

you're joking?

This is basic.

c'mon evernote, I mean really?!!!!!

• Level 5*

Or just create a bunch of templates notes on a fat client - it's easy, put them in their own notebook and then pull one out and use it when you need it. Then move it to the right notebook, every device and application has limitations, sometimes you just need a bit of imagination to make it work the way you want it to.

• Level 5*

hi. i primarily use the ipad and the ipad app for my work. twitter is not a priority for me, but neither is copying notes.i would use neither.

more to the point, evernote's priorities and my priorities do not match. that may be a good thing for the app, since social network integration is a key feature for many people. i'll let evernote

decide their priorities, because rhey know the market better than i do.

however, it never hurts to ask here on the forums for features. hopefully, evernote will take our requests (my ipad wish list has eleven items and i mention them as often as i can!) into consideration. i would expect consistent, incremental improvements in the app, so there is always a chance yours will be one of the updates.

as for ios and its lack of a file system, along with numerous other quirks, if it is hindering your work, you may want to get am mba instead.

so, you seem to be saying that evernote's inability to duplicate a note is down to iOS?

I don't think so.

Although I appreciate your point, "...you are free to use another app...", it's a real cop-out for missing functionality. I can post to twitter and facebook, but cannot duplicate a note, so facebook and twitter are more important?

The reall problem with all the apps I've used on mobile devices is their inability to manage their information and it seems that evernote has the same problem. Duplicate, copy, move are basic essential file management requirements. They're not luxury extras, but basic. Meetings follow the same flow as do thousands of other requirements for keeping notes. That's why we have templates. We make a copy, change some of the information and voila have a new note without having to rewrite the whole thing.

Sadly, I am realising too late as JMichael pointed out that a macbook air would have been a better option. Although the iPad could be a stand alone device, it's software limits it to being a slave to a traditional computer. This is ironic as my ipad is more powerful than my 1995 desktop computer, but has stunted capabilities.

In my personal opinion, no software environment is even basic, if it does not include a file manager.

I wonder if all you had to use was the evernote ipad client, how many of you would put copying a note before twitter or facebook access?

• Level 5*

Evernote has been working on the iPad client for two years now, and still has a ways to go to catchup with the capability, features, and ease of use of the desktop/laptop clients. A lot of this is due to the Apple iOS design/limitations.

If you need both portability and the full Evernote capability any time soon you may want to consider the new highly portable devices, like the MacBook Air or Windows ultrabooks (just now being released). I have been using the MacBook Air for over a year and it works great, not only for Evernote, but for all other apps.

The iPad app has come a long ways compared to this time last year, and it is already one of the most capable apps on the market right now. But, as JM said, there are limits to how well an app will perform in certain workflows, because of iOS, and because the desktop apps have been refined for far longer. It takes time, and I imagine that is why no one else (even a behemoth like Microsoft) has been able to compete well with it. Personally, I don't consider the ability to copy a note to be such a crucial issue, but I understand that some people might, and in that case, JM's suggestion is a good one.

• Level 5*

Evernote has been working on the iPad client for two years now, and still has a ways to go to catchup with the capability, features, and ease of use of the desktop/laptop clients. A lot of this is due to the Apple iOS design/limitations.

If you need both portability and the full Evernote capability any time soon you may want to consider the new highly portable devices, like the MacBook Air or Windows ultrabooks (just now being released). I have been using the MacBook Air for over a year and it works great, not only for Evernote, but for all other apps.

Archived