Evernote in the Classroom - sharing devices

dgnmkt

I have 26 students in my Grade 8 home room and another 80 that I teach Social Studies to on a daily basis.

Each student has a free Evernote account that they use as their primary tool for note taking, writing and organization. Students collaborate, share notebooks between themselves and generally make extensive use of Evernote.

The biggest problem I have had in using Evernote in the classroom has not been around how to organize, share or develop better research and writing skills with the fantastic tool. The students love using Evernote.

Logging out of Evernote - is the biggest problem I have among students - particularly on the Macbooks they use.

The Evernote client for MacOS must have the ability to easily sign out a user when the are done using it. The Evernote windows client has the ability and it just doesn't make sense to me that the Mac version is so cumbersome to exit.

The third party application "Evernote Switcher" is not a practical solution in a classroom where over a 100 students - just in Grade 8 - may need to access the same computing device at different times.

The quickest way to undermine the utility of a function is for people to loose their work - for whatever reason - and then begin to loose confidence in the product.

And while were on the subject - if you want people to fully embrace Evernote across platforms then everyone must have the same access to all functionality and add on's - Evernote should make Skitch available for the Windows platform.

Dan

• Level 5*

I have 26 students in my Grade 8 home room and another 80 that I teach Social Studies to on a daily basis.

Each student has a free Evernote account that they use as their primary tool for note taking, writing and organization. Students collaborate, share notebooks between themselves and generally make extensive use of Evernote.

The biggest problem I have had in using Evernote in the classroom has not been around how to organize, share or develop better research and writing skills with the fantastic tool. The students love using Evernote.

Logging out of Evernote - is the biggest problem I have among students - particularly on the Macbooks they use.

The Evernote client for MacOS must have the ability to easily sign out a user when the are done using it. The Evernote windows client has the ability and it just doesn't make sense to me that the Mac version is so cumbersome to exit.

The third party application "Evernote Switcher" is not a practical solution in a classroom where over a 100 students - just in Grade 8 - may need to access the same computing device at different times.

The quickest way to undermine the utility of a function is for people to loose their work - for whatever reason - and then begin to loose confidence in the product.

And while were on the subject - if you want people to fully embrace Evernote across platforms then everyone must have the same access to all functionality and add on's - Evernote should make Skitch available for the Windows platform.

Dan

Hi Dan. There is a thread already about logging in and out of the Mac. The short answer: not possible. It is recommended that you set up individual user profiles or use the web client. But, you can read more there if you like.

Hi Dan. Thanks for sharing your question. Glad to hear you're students are responding so well to Evernote. The issue of sharing devices in general has come up when talking about Evernote in a school setting. The two workarounds that i've heard most commonly is to create multiple profiles which can have separate Evernote accounts/databases for each. http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.5/en/8235.html . The other alternative is to use the web version of Evernote. Let me know if either of these two options work out. I'd love to get your feedback on how either of these two options work out.

Archived