(Archived) REQUEST: Filtering for the 'tags' drop down

sheclimber

Idea

I'm using Evernote 3.0.5 for Mac Lion, and I think it would be great if when I clicked the tags drop down in the favorites bar, it only showed me tags that were assigned to the items in the notebook or stack I start in.

As it is now, all my tags are listed and when I click one it takes me to 'All Notebooks' and lists all items with that tag. I get the benefit of doing it that way, but it's not how I first assumed it would work. Also, it's redundant since I've got my full tags list on the left-hand side.

What feels natural to me, is if I click on my 'Lists' notebook and then click on the tag drop down - that I'll only see the tags associated with my lists. So I can then choose the 'books' tag from a list of 10 or so, instead of 40+.

Even better would be if I could then narrow the results again again by clicking the drop down and only seeing tags associated with books - e.g. 'to read'.

I think the reason I expected this is because I was using Yojimbo before Evernote, and it was super easy to click tags for multiple filtering. Not that Yojimbo comes anywhere close to the functionality of Evernote - hence the switch.

Thanks!

3 replies to this idea

• Level 5*
I'm using Evernote 3.0.5 for Mac Lion, and I think it would be great if when I clicked the tags drop down in the favorites bar, it only showed me tags that were assigned to the items in the notebook or stack I start in.

I know this is possible on the Windows client, and I believe it's available for the Mac. You need to set your tags to "Hide Unassigned Tags"; this will show only tags ; On Windows you get this by right-clicking in the Tags panel at the left of the display, hopefully it's the same on the Mac.

Thanks! We thought about that idea. The reason we don't do it right now is that it could be a little confusing if you only saw some of your tags and weren't sure why they disappeared. There isn't a good way of indicating nearby the Tags drop down that we're filtering because of your notebook.

We also want you to be able to jump to a tag at anytime. We're sort of assuming that navigation at least as important as filtering. If you right click and select "Hide Unassigned Tags" in the tag section of the left panel (as jefito has mentioned) you can do the filtering in the left panel.

hope that helps!

• Level 5*
Thanks! We thought about that idea. The reason we don't do it right now is that it could be a little confusing if you only saw some of your tags and weren't sure why they disappeared. There isn't a good way of indicating nearby the Tags drop down that we're filtering because of your notebook.

Yeah. I think in the earlier days of the Windows 4 series (if I recall correctly, always a crapshoot), tags to just the to the notes selected in a search, and things got pretty confusing pretty fast.

Archived