(Archived) New speech-to-text button missing...

ctash

I filed a support ticket (ticket #16051-86604) within the app for this, but got back a response about how I may never hear back from support because I'm not a premium member... so I'm mentioning this here...

If you start a new note via the "new note" button when you first launch the app, you get the old audio note mic button:

Screenshot_2012-04-02-23-46-14-1.png?dl=1

If however, you launched a new note from the "light bulb" menu and select the "speech to text" option, you get a new note with the new audio note mic button:

Screenshot_2012-04-02-23-46-29-1.png?dl=1

...and yes, the function differently.

• Level 5*
I filed a support ticket (ticket #16051-86604) within the app for this, but got back a response about how I may never hear back from support because I'm not a premium member... so I'm mentioning this here...

That would be a surprise. My understanding is that all support requests will be answered, but premium members get first priority. I'm hoping that you just misread the email...

Hi ctash

The voice note and speech to text button share the same space, so when one is selected, you cannot see the other. To change to speech to text, you will have to long press on the microphone, and then choose the speech to text button :)

http://www.evernote.com/shard/s26/sh/2fc13074-74eb-4557-8525-b7a921c3a0b5/a1ecf42908fde231dc32e13e1e5dafa0

Scott

That would be a surprise. My understanding is that all support requests will be answered, but premium members get first priority. I'm hoping that you just misread the email...

I exaggerated a bit.. it actually says:

As a Free user, you will receive a response as time permits, within the order your request was received.

...and being an engineer myself, "as time permits" is often a long way out...

@spg Scott -- thanks!

I exaggerated a bit.. it actually says:

As a Free user, you will receive a response as time permits, within the order your request was received.

...and being an engineer myself, "as time permits" is often a long way out...

It may be a long way out, depending upon what else is going on with the support team and depending upon one's interpretation of "long way out". (Some people expect answers within an hour.) However, it's unfair to misrepresent what was presented to you, especially when you're posting it publicly on a message board & I'm sure it's not appreciated. At least thank you for posting the actual verbiage to clarify.

It may be a long way out, depending upon what else is going on with the support team and depending upon one's interpretation of "long way out". (Some people expect answers within an hour.) However, it's unfair to misrepresent what was presented to you, especially when you're posting it publicly on a message board & I'm sure it's not appreciated. At least thank you for posting the actual verbiage to clarify.

I'm glad you edited this from the slightly harsher response I saw come through email. I wasn't trying to start something and yes, given that I posted "the actual verbiage" I'd hardly classify this as intentional "misrepresentation" :huh: (I was pretty sure that at least a bit of sarcasm was evident in the original post)..... and no, I don't expect a reply "within an hour".

Anyways - we can all move along now... nothing to see here... smile and wave... ;)

I'm glad you edited this from the slightly harsher response I saw come through email.

I didn't edit anything out, since I don't think my original reply was "harsh". I simply added a 'thank you' to soften the blow.

Intentional or not, it was a misrepresentation that could easily be picked up on in the future by other users & still is unfair, IMO. As an engineer yourself, I'm sure you wouldn't appreciate your response time misrepresented, especially in a public fashion. Just sayin'

(smiling & moving on.)

Ok, since we're off-topic now and in the spirit of constructive feedback...

Our Premium users receive support within 1 business day. Should you upgrade to Premium after filing this initial request, please file a new ticket so that you may be placed in the Premium queue and be handled promptly.

#1. The wording, "as time permits" is far too indefinite and non-committal. A better response would be "it may take up to 3-4 business days" (or whatever it is) to receive a reply to your request. This gives the user at least some light at the end of the tunnel and doesn't make them feel like they are the last priority in a company's day. Note, they are still a supporter of your product.

#2. Don't start out by turning a support case into a sales pitch. No other service that I know of spends the entire "above the fold" section of a support reply plugging their premium service. Is it really an ideal time to ask someone to buy something when they're having a problem with your product? Better to address this further down in the email and perhaps a bit less prominently. Might I suggest an "*" and footnote after the initial "it may take up to 3-4 business days" (as I suggested above).

#3. Making someone refile a support case, especially when it's possible that they attached logs from within the application (which an end user has no easy way of getting on their own after the fact) is less than ideal. A much better system would be to have a way to promote a ticket, some form where you could, as a premium member, reference your "non-premium" support case number.

• Level 5*
Ok, since we're off-topic now and in the spirit of constructive feedback...

Thanks for the clarification -- had me wondering for a bit.

I think that the reply is just being honest: "we're promising to get back to you, but we always prioritize our paying customers first". Promising 3-4 days or whatever isn't feasible, because it might not be true (although I'd guess that in practice it's not far off). And sales pitch or not, there's nothing in the statement that's not true; once received, you have the information that you can use to make a choice (or not). I think that your point about enabling the system to move your support request from 'free' to 'premium' sounds pretty reasonable, though.

Glad you got your answer from one of our unofficial support personnel (and glad to see that you gave him his 'Like' cookie, too). :)

@spg Scott -- thanks!

You're welcome :)

Glad you got your answer from one of our unofficial support personnel (and glad to see that you gave him his 'Like' cookie, too). :)

Haha, us students need all the cookies we can earn :P

I'm glad that I can help here. :)

Archived