REQUEST: SVG support

skryking

Idea

Any chance SVG might be added as a supported image file format in the future? Would be nice to be able to see them as a thumbnail/image when looking at the web/windows/mac/android/ios client instead of just as a file attachment.

• Like 5

33 replies to this idea

Having swapped out quite a bunch of images in templates from .png to .svg, which looked great on my desktop (OSX) I sadly noticed the .svg support doesn't stretch to iOS, leaving my templates looking very weird indeed and I had to swap it all back to .png.

It would be wonderful if they can support for the SVG file format. It is a cause of frustration when i am clipping and curating material from popular sites such as wikipedia. I am surprised that it still isn't recognised by Evernote. Fingers crossed.

• Level 5

Having just bought iDraw - which also supports SVG - what does Skitch's support of SVG consist of? And, sounding churlish asking this :-) , is the support still there? I'm wondering if this is a way to get useful SVG support in Evernote itself.

Please consider this a higher priority.  The web is increasingly full of SVGs not to mention it is a handy, scalable image format to use for all sorts of things.  Aren't Skitch files just SVGs?

• Like 1

Another vote for SVG support.  I use a note taking application called Write on android which has fantastic features that aren't provided by the native Evernote handwriting option as yet.  However Write saves it's notes to Evernote as html files with embedded SVG images so I can't easily view - or worse, search - the notes in Evernote.

The issue has cropped up today for me with Wikipedia, which now also uses SVG for displaying images.

Worse, the SVG may not have a file extension such that the file attached to the clipped note cannot even be opened without first renaming the file.

Example:

On 10/6/2016 at 8:10 AM, jefito said:

Moved to a feature request forum, so that you all may now vote on this.

You should add a vote for each of the commenters here since 2012, minus the five (including me) who voted for it.

• Level 5*
33 minutes ago, hughw said:

You should add a vote for each of the commenters here since 2012, minus the five (including me) who voted for it.

I can't add votes -- I'm just a forum user like you, though with some minor moderation abilities (like the ability to move posts to more appropriate subforums)

Yeah, I just hit this (on Win 10). This is super annoying when clipping web pages: In my browser it looks just fine, then I clip it and the article has become basically useless. This is an omission that severely impairs EN's otherwise great web clipping functionality.

I'm sure the only reason not more people vote on this is that the average user doesn't care about the difference between vector and pixel graphics, and that's entirely normal. They only see that "the EN web clipper doesn't work for some web pages. Apparently it's not as good as I heard."

Please add SVG support for macOS client.  From the trending of Web technologies development, SVG is an elegant way to describe design patterns, mathematical formula, and other complex scalars in a human-readable format.  It's easier to be edited compared to other bitmap-based images. Many thanks!

The web is moving towards SVG for scalable content. A good solution would be capturing the SVG content as a flat image at current display resolution for the purposes of clipping.

Like others here, many of the articles I wanted to clip contained SVGs and the lack of support made Evernote completely useless for my purposes.

Fortunately, being a web developer discovering way to convert SVGs into raster images wasn't too difficult.

Since I was using it so often I thought I might as well make this into a Chrome extension and release it to the wild(for free of course): https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/inline-image-converter/aigoeeccbaklcjmegppfoeodnjiedcci 

On 1/27/2019 at 4:00 AM, Hayoun Lee said:

All my LaTex code that are in svg becomes very hard to see in dark mode. (Mac/ Mojave)

SVG support please!

Screen Shot 2019-01-27 at 11.59.49 AM.png

Rather, support for transparency in graphics is needed. I've seen the problem with Kindle ebooks too, where chapter headings, that are displayed a graphic, look badly off with any background color other than white.

A solution may be tricky though for the devs. It is obviously appropriate to invert the colors of an equation in dark mode, as it would be for black&white graphics in Kindle apps, but there is no reliable way to distinguish such a graphic from a grayscale photo. Or when embedding equations as pre-rendered raster graphics, some software may inappropriately bake in sub-pixel rendering. This gets even worse, when taking into account the possibility of having colored subexpressions in equations.

A possibility may be to use a basic heuristic: If the image consists predominantly of two grayscale values / a dark gray scale value on transparent background (e.g. black and white, dark gray and white, or black on transparent background) it is probably appropriate to adjust or invert the color in dark mode. The user would however need the ability to explicitly flag images for inversion / not inversion, when the heuristic decides wrong.

• Level 5

Yeah, SVG support, start the coding now, invest a lot of time and effort into it …

Just because you drop 2 1/2 words here ? 

What do you want supported ? What is your use case ? Is it clipped content, LaTex, own files ? 

A few more words why it may benefit your use of EN would help to understand.

Or it is just that - worth 2 1/2 words …