(Archived) HOWTO: Is there a better way to do Evernote-Gmail integration than the web clipper?

Thanks so much. This is exactly what I was looking for.

Now if I can only figure out why the "Add gadget by URL" lab isn't showing up for me even after enabling it I will be all set!

You know now that you said something, I haven't seen mine in a while. I use the desktop app so much didn't pay attention. Maybe it's down. I'll do some research.

Thanks everybody I got it up in cals.

In gmail though I found the lab and added it in the setting/gadgets.

It is listed as added but doesn't show up.

It might have something to do with the new google layout?

*EDIT* verified. The trouble is with the new layout. I backed out to the old layout and it showed up.

found mine on the new layout.... look on the left side bottom, ther are three dots ... click on that -- also it resides under chat - and I had to click to expand it.

one problem I noticed in the new version of Gmail - the left pane is a pain ! the app must have been designed for the old version as it is pretty scrunched in the New version.

the EN people need to get gmail or other mail clients integrated - it only auto fills on the internet EN platform, not the desktop.

if I am wrong, let me know, its what I see..

Agreed If Evernote could get a simple gmail plugin that just let you tag and add a note then shoot it off to evernote I would be a happy man.

I did get this one working but as mentioned it isn't exactly ideal and tagging in it is a pain.

I just discovered something That I never saw before on the Gadget.

I was confused scrolling on the gadget and thought there was only one note to see and scroll through, making the gadget virtually useless in my opinion.

But, lookin at the right scroll bar there is another scroll bar just to the left of that right scroll bar, look at the top you will see two arrows, those are two scroll-able areas -

hey, I am new to EN and this gadget - there you can scroll down and set the number of notes to see and create a qwik note and see your email address for EN and see your usage - etc....

Just a heads up if it looks like it does nothing... as it did for me.

now, I am interested in a gadget like you are referring - a one click forward email gadget -

Sounds interesting yoxel. I use gmail+evernote web.

I usually forward emails I want in evernote one by one from gmail to my evernote upload email account and then tag them in the web interface.

Could your service streamline this process at all?

Note I don't use the desktop app because I am on ubuntu.

Zapier.com is another (paid) service where you can direct notes to a specific notebook, with tags and such, based on rules. Ifttt.com is another (free at present.)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Level 5*

Not finding any of these to do what I want unless I am missing something. I really just want to click on an email and have it added to Evernote, just like the Outlook clipper does. Any ideas? (text only doesn't work, would need to capture attachments too, thus the whole email.)

• 3 weeks later...

Not finding any of these to do what I want unless I am missing something. I really just want to click on an email and have it added to Evernote, just like the Outlook clipper does. Any ideas? (text only doesn't work, would need to capture attachments too, thus the whole email.)

why not just forward the email to your @m.evernote.com address. It brings email and attachments in that way

• Level 5*

why not just forward the email to your @m.evernote.com address. It brings email and attachments in that way

So does the Outlook Clipper. The advantage of the clipper in Outlook is:

1. It doesn't add the FW: to the front and the extra header info to the note body of having been forwarded
  2. doesn't increase your mailbox size by now having the same email in your inbox and sent items.

I'd like to have a button in Gmail that just adds the current email to Evernote with no side effects.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Level 5*

Thanks Harry! That is pretty cool.

1. There is no "FW" and all of the header stuff when this script runs
  2. It doesn't keep a duplicate copy in Sent Items folder
  3. As a bonus, it logs what it sends in a spreadsheet you choose, although I am not getting that feature to work right. Hrm...

The only suggestion I would make is to include the basic email header info like the Outlook clipper does - subject, from, to, date sent.

But wow! Thanks. Fantastic script!

• Level 5*

Is anyone getting script errors? I got about 30 yesterday, reauthorized and all was good, until today, about 24hrs later. Does the authorization only last 1 day?

Start Function Error Message Trigger End 11/28/12 4:15 PM readEvernote Authorization is required to perform that action. time-based 11/28/12 4:15 PM

Is anyone getting script errors? I got about 30 yesterday, reauthorized and all was good, until today, about 24hrs later. Does the authorization only last 1 day?

Start Function Error Message Trigger End 11/28/12 4:15 PM readEvernote Authorization is required to perform that action. time-based 11/28/12 4:15 PM

yep, same here, every time I shut down it wants me to re-verify --- bugs to be worked out for sure.

I would like to see a copy saved in my Gmail folder "evernote" --

for some reason it is there for a short time then gone...

I just like a double back up -

otherwise it works great - drag the tag and it sends to the appropriate folder - wish Gmail would integrate

i have been playing with a Gmail add on called Everbot. It adds a "Send To Evernote" button that seems to work well. Found it in my Chrome extensions.

awesome looks good, going to review it and post back what I find... thanks

i have been playing with a Gmail add on called Everbot. It adds a "Send To Evernote" button that seems to work well. Found it in my Chrome extensions.

awesome looks good, going to review it and post back what I find... thanks

Just used Everbot -- works - but does not send an HTML email, it will just forward it in text mode.(sometimes just a jumbled mess of text, to difficult to read

and waiting for it to load my evernote Notebooks takes some time as well...

would like to see the integration of these two together...

Hi,

I updated the script, to make setting up easier, a.o. based on your feedback. That has triggered the reauthorization, but only once.

But the message will be repeated until you have reauthorized, and if you do that in the middle of a day, you may still receive a digest email reporting the reauthorization requests of that morning.

If you continue to keep reauthorization requests, please forward the error reporting email messages to me, at mail@harryonline.net

In any case, no updates are foreseen in the near future, unless significant bugs are found, so you should not receive reauthorization requests soon.

mdsd77: As described in the blog post, when you add a Gmail label Evernote, this will trigger the script to forward the message to Evernote, and remove the label to avoid forwarding it again. It only removes the label, the messages remain under "All mail".

So if you want a backup of the messages that were sent to Evernote, create a label like EN-Archive, as long as it does not start with Evernote it should be fine.

You may also copy the Gmail to Evernote script to your own Google Drive, and adapt it to add this label automatically.

That would also help avoiding the reauthorization requests, but you don't get any updates.

yep, same here, every time I shut down it wants me to re-verify --- bugs to be worked out for sure.

I would like to see a copy saved in my Gmail folder "evernote" --

for some reason it is there for a short time then gone...

I just like a double back up -

otherwise it works great - drag the tag and it sends to the appropriate folder - wish Gmail would integrate

• Level 5*

Ahhh.. thanks Harry. Makes sense I'd have to reauthorize if you change it. At least I know it isn't a "feature." :D

mdsd77 - the reason the Evernote tag isn't preserved is the script scans the Evernote label and adds all emails with it to EN. It then removes the label so it doesn't get added on the next pass. Makes total sense to me. If you want an archive of it, you should add a second tag, like EvernoteArchived and that will be preserved.

I like the way it works. I can quickly check my Evernote tag and see what has yet to be added. Ideally, that tag should always be empty.

• 1 month later...
  • Level 5*

Another update to the Gmail to Evernote script, now the notes in Evernote also have a link back to gmail, as well as other email headers.

http://www.harryonli...in-evernote/406

Nice. Is there a way to have that URL put in the note URL field instead of below the email header? Not a huge deal if not possible, but would be more consistent with how EN works with other source URLs.

Nice. Is there a way to have that URL put in the note URL field instead of below the email header? Not a huge deal if not possible, but would be more consistent with how EN works with other source URLs.

That would require using the Evernote API, instead of simply sending an email message. Much more work, and considering the experience of other tools that use the API, very hard to keep the formatting of the email message right.

• 2 months later...

You can use the script described here:

http://www.harryonline.net/evernote/send-google-mail-to-evernote/226

Just add tags to the message in Gmail, and the script will convert the message to a note in the background.

Hello Harry:

I wish to remove this script, when I try, it always pops back up, by issuing the report...

am I missing a removal step?

let me know the process, Thank you... Matt

You can use the script described here:

http://www.harryonline.net/evernote/send-google-mail-to-evernote/226

Just add tags to the message in Gmail, and the script will convert the message to a note in the background.

Hello Harry:

I wish to remove this script, when I try, it always pops back up, by issuing the report...

am I missing a removal step?

let me know the process, Thank you... Matt

Hi Matt,

It helps if you are a bit more specific: how did you try to remove the script, what pops up, what report do you get?

The usual process to stop the script is:

Go to the script (at http://bit.ly/gmailevernote, unless you made your own copy), click on Resources, Current project's triggers, and click on the x-button just before ReadEvernote.

Kind regards,

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Try using Evernote Clearly.  It will strip out all the Gmail surround and create a clean Gmail message that you can then save to Evernote with a few clicks.

If you feel you must save everything to Evernote, then this is a good solution for adding Gmail to your mix. Not an optimal solution. Not as good as using Evernote with Outlook, but workable.

Questions? Let me know, and I'll try to answer. 

Archived