(Archived) Why use Evernote?

Evernote is a very cool app that has a lot of good features.. A lot of thought has been put in developing this application [OS+web].

The one thing that is flawed is the amount of content a 'free' user can upload to the servers. Only the premium users can benifit as they have full advantage as the have more/no limit to how much they can upload.

One thing i would like to point out is.. What makes evernote different from other applocations.. I mean one can easily use his/her favorite email service to do just the same for free and use a file sharing account to upload any number of files and get them easily when ever they need it.

BottomLine: Not good for free users.

Anyways, good try..

Thank you.

Well, if you're uploading mostly text and basic docs like PDFs and word files, 60 mb/month takes you pretty far for free.

As for "no limit" Premium users, they're limited to 1 gb/month of uploads.

Why use Evernote?

My response...it is Free. :P

I can make notes, which will be available pretty much anywhere I can get an internet connection.

I can upload files, which will be available anywhere I can get an internet connection, to read/print/edit them. (This is my main use of EN I think)

Every service I have come across imposes a maximum total upload, Evernote just asks you to spread the upload over a period of time. I haven't needed an extra upload allowance yet, however I am a relatively light user. There are others here who live in EN and have to pay for even more upload allowance.

I also think that it is priced quite reasonably, for instance it is cheaper for a year than my xbox live subscription (from the last time I paid for it)

I think it boils down to how you want to use a cloud service (and how it was designed, EN was IMHO primarily designed as a note taking service) and it seems from your post, that you want mass storage in the short term?

Maybe i'm expecting too much..

hmm.. i thought of it and ya... i go with it basic text and images.. and post up links to downloads inside the notes instead of uploading the whole file there. that makes more sense now.

+1 Evgernote :)

Kudos.

• Level 5*

Maybe i'm expecting too much..

hmm.. i thought of it and ya... i go with it basic text and images.. and post up links to downloads inside the notes instead of uploading the whole file there. that makes more sense now.

+1 Evgernote :)

Kudos.

Hi. Welcome to the forums!

Glad to hear that you have found something valuable in Evernote. What you said in your original post makes sense. Basically, everything Evernote does can be found in other applications.

But, I don't know of any that have it all in one place. For example, on the iPad you cannot keep all of your emails in your device (as far as I know). The emails cannot be easily tagged, sorted into notebooks, or edited. In Dropbox you can upload and download things, but it also does not stay on your device (as far as I know), there is no searching within files, etc. etc.

One of the cool things about Evernote (in my opinion) is that it pretty much does everything. I can finally put all of my files into one place and access them from anywhere with really impressive search and organizational capabilities. There is more to say, but these are big. Plus, the cumulative storage (you keep adding to the amount stored in the cloud) means that as a premium member you can achieve 12-24 gb of cloud storage every year. That is permanent. Amazing.

Evernote is a very cool app that has a lot of good features.. A lot of thought has been put in developing this application [OS+web].

The one thing that is flawed is the amount of content a 'free' user can upload to the servers. Only the premium users can benifit as they have full advantage as the have more/no limit to how much they can upload.

One thing i would like to point out is.. What makes evernote different from other applocations.. I mean one can easily use his/her favorite email service to do just the same for free and use a file sharing account to upload any number of files and get them easily when ever they need it.

BottomLine: Not good for free users.

Anyways, good try..

Thank you.

Um...well... Evernote provides a LOT of advantages for free users. And like most apps, they do indeed offer more advantages to those users who pay them money. After all, the people who work for Evernote like to do things like pay rent, buy food & clothes for themselves & their children.

Even though I have zero need for it, I became a premium subscriber just to support the company since I've been using their product for a long time. I like that all my notes are so easlily available on all my mobile devices and computers as well as being stored in the "cloud". I also like that the Evernote folks are unfailingly polite and helpful and don't nag me for money like NPR, although I do subscribe to them also in spite of that. I wonder if even in the next life you will be able to make everyone happy...

Thanks

Archived