(Archived) evernote impressions

hi evernote community

big fan of the program and have just subscribed

things i would like to see

• encryption on notebooks so if someone gets access to your account financial details arent accessible. i like to hope i have good password management habits and am secure but an extra level of security would be great. as for search, make it so you cant search through the encrypted folder until it is open.
  • tabs so you can switch quickly between different notebooks. i want to be able to take notes from another document also in evernote easily.
  • referencing. you guys can easily take over the entire referencing software market if you have it so evernote can download papers and the associated reference. an add on into open office and microsoft word to allow referencing would be very usefull and you would generate a lot of users from the academic world.

cheers

• Level 5*

hi evernote community

big fan of the program and have just subscribed

things i would like to see

• encryption on notebooks so if someone gets access to your account financial details arent accessible. i like to hope i have good password management habits and am secure but an extra level of security would be great. as for search, make it so you cant search through the encrypted folder until it is open.
  • tabs so you can switch quickly between different notebooks. i want to be able to take notes from another document also in evernote easily.
  • referencing. you guys can easily take over the entire referencing software market if you have it so evernote can download papers and the associated reference. an add on into open office and microsoft word to allow referencing would be very usefull and you would generate a lot of users from the academic world.

cheers

hi appsii. welcome to the forums! glad to hear that you are enjoying the application :)

1. there are several threads about encryption. you may want to take a look at those to see where evernote stands on it at the moment. if you encrypt your pdfs before uploading them and encrypt each note that has text, then you can provide yourself with protection. however, i agree with you that it would be nice (in an ideal world) if we could have encrypted notebooks.

2. tabs? great idea. i hadn't even thought of that. i wouldn't get much use out of them myself, but i can see the use case.

3. referencing. it is a bit of a pain to get journal articles into evernote, because you have to download them first, and then upload them into evernote. even with several hundred articles a year going into my account, it's not a burden i think about much. i usually save the article into a folder with the title "last first year" and when i am ready to upload (usually at the end of my monthly cycle) i drag all of the pdfs into my account. notes are created with the title of the pdf, so everything is sorted nicely. the bibliographical information is usually contained within the pdfs, so i don't always bother to copy and paste it into the note, but sometimes i do. admittedly, this is not as easy as a one-click solution, but it isn't too laborious.

yeah in regard to referencing i guess i more mean some kind of attachment that can put references into a paper and generate a list at the end of a document in a specific format. endnote does this but handles pdfs very badly, isn't a cloud system and has no tag system.

putting papers into endnote isn't too bad. just the associated reference management could also be handled by the program to open up the software to a large market of those who write papers, theses etc.

• Level 5*

yeah in regard to referencing i guess i more mean some kind of attachment that can put references into a paper and generate a list at the end of a document in a specific format. endnote does this but handles pdfs very badly, isn't a cloud system and has no tag system.

putting papers into endnote isn't too bad. just the associated reference management could also be handled by the program to open up the software to a large market of those who write papers, theses etc.

i think what you are describing is a service already provided by bookends and others. they are very good at what they do, and evernote would have a tough time distinguishing itself there. this is a major undertaking, and in my opinion (i am not an evernote employee) a niche market way outside of its current mandate.

i have a master bibliography note in evernote that holds all of my bibliographic information (chicago manuak of style bibliography and footnote formats). i have all of my sources (if they are in pdf form) in their own notes. and, i have my reading notes separate from these. that's three types of notes: bibliography, sources, and reading notes. i've found this system works really well for me: well over a thousand works cited, hundreds of notes, hundreds of sources, and many papers/articles written this way.

the bibliographical software is nice, and i have nothing against it, but it tends to be more work than it is worth, and becomes a problem when you want to (for example) work on your ipad one day and your computer the next.

Archived