Printed font still too large

Mayerovitch

The release notes for version 4.5.4.6487 state:

"Fixed issue where notes print at larger font size than expected."

However, on my Windows 7 system at least, this fix does not appear to have worked. I enter my notes in 11 point Tahoma, which is comfortable for screen viewing. However, when I print them out, Evernote is still printing them at 14 or 15 point. The unexpectedly large size appears not only in the printed output but also in the print preview.

• Level 5*

I made a note, set the typeface to Tahome, and added a series of lines, each using a different typeface size, consisting of the letter 'M' followed by the height, like so:

MQ10

MQ12

MQ18

MQ24

MQ36

MQ48

I then printed this note out, and fetched out my trusty ruler. Now in modern day typography, a point is defined to be 1/72 of an inch, so I measured the 'MQ36' line's height. I noted that the height of the letter 'Q', which reaches as high as the other letters, and also has a descender, is almost exactly 1/2" tall. I make that to be ~ 36/72" or 36 points.

I then made a similar document in Microsoft Word, and printed that out. The height of the 'Q' in this printout was identical to that from the Evernote printout, as best as I could make out by putting the printouts together so that the 36 point lines overlapped and holding them up to the light, and also by measuring them with the ruler.

I conclude that Evernote's typeface heights are pretty much accurate...

I made a note, set the typeface to Tahome, and added a series of lines, each using a different typeface size, consisting of the letter 'M' followed by the height, like so:

MQ10

MQ12

MQ18

MQ24

MQ36

MQ48

I then printed this note out, and fetched out my trusty ruler. Now in modern day typography, a point is defined to be 1/72 of an inch, so I measured the 'MQ36' line's height. I noted that the height of the letter 'Q', which reaches as high as the other letters, and also has a descender, is almost exactly 1/2" tall. I make that to be ~ 36/72" or 36 points.

I then made a similar document in Microsoft Word, and printed that out. The height of the 'Q' in this printout was identical to that from the Evernote printout, as best as I could make out by putting the printouts together so that the 36 point lines overlapped and holding them up to the light, and also by measuring them with the ruler.

I conclude that Evernote's typeface heights are pretty much accurate...

And I thought I was compulsive (lol) :D ...

It does appear that the typefaces are pretty much in line with the norms now. Nice to see this fixed.

Now if we could just get a keyboard shortcut that works to increase or decrease the size of a font in the editor (sigh).

• Level 5*

I have to deal with this kind of stuff in my work sometimes. A bit compulsive, but not too hard to rig up a simple test. I don't know if it's perfect, because I included the descender height, but it's pretty close, I think, and the fact that it matched up with MS Word was on the plus side...

I have to deal with this kind of stuff in my work sometimes. A bit compulsive, but not too hard to rig up a simple test. I don't know if it's perfect, because I included the descender height, but it's pretty close, I think, and the fact that it matched up with MS Word was on the plus side...

I agree. This has been a long term problem that I know they have struggled with. Nice to see it working well now.

Oh, and I was kidding about the whole compulsive thing...

Your test seems quite reasonable however I'm also experiencing the same problem Mayerovitch describes. The font prints to large. The heading is reasonable (close to what Word would do for 10 or 11 pt) but the note content is printed similar to Word's 16-18pt. (the font in my note is 10pt.

• 3 weeks later...

Same here, I'm having the same issue using Windows 7, Evernote client 4.5.4.6497. Before I print a hard copy of a note I change the font to 8 or smaller to get what appears to be an equivalent of about 11 pt. If I leave the font at 10 before printing everything prints quite large.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone

More than 1.5 years later, I stumble over that same bug of fonts that are printed too large from Evernote for Windows.

Evernote support tells my in January 2014:

Hi! My name is (...) and I am happy to help.

Unfortunately this is a bug! I apologize for the inconvenience.

Alternatively, you can highlight the contents of a note, set to a font size smaller than 11, and your font will print smaller as well.

Again, I apologize for any inconvenience! I see how this might be frustrating.

Thank you for using Evernote and have a wonderful day!

(....)
Evernote

The workaround I am using is printing from the Evernote web application. The fonts are changed to Times but the size is pretty correct.

Swissmorgy

• 1 year later...

I don't get what changed, but notes that I'm saving to pdf now are much larger than they were before. I just printed a note from 6/26 which was 20 pages, and now it is 28 pages. The font is that much bigger that it adds 8 whole pages. 

Archived