(Archived) BUG: Evernote not highlighting text in PDF search results

pipkato

Idea

I've recently begun using the Fujitsu ScanSnap S1500 scanner which includes the option to 'Scan directly to Evernote'.

I'm having some problems with my Evernote PDF text searches. These are standard personal letters, documents, and stuff scanned with 'Scan Directly to Evernote' and I have deselected the Fujitsu ScanSnap option to 'create a searchable PDF', leaving it to Evernote to do the OCR.

Scanning is fine and the scanned documents appear in Evernote, and a short time later are 'searchable PDFs'. I've checked some of these by saving them and almost all the text is OCR'd fine.

But when I 'Search' Evernote on my Mac for specific text that I know is in some of those scanned documents, Evernote usually highlights the 'Search' word(s) in White against a 'Grey' document background on the first document in the list. But the rest of the documents will usually show just some empty white boxes, often at the end of the document. The 'found' documents all seem to be valid results containing the 'Search' criteria.

Evernote does not seem to know where the 'Search' words are in the other documents.

I'm using Evernote 3.0.6 on my iMac and Mac Pro (10.7.3) and all software is up-to-date.

Anyone else with this issue, or even better, with a solution?

Thanks.

7 replies to this idea

Yes, I am having the same difficulity. The highlighted white boxes on the gray background are not matching my search.

I depend on this ability to search 100's of pdf files. See attached picture (used Skitch).

What is a solution?

Thanks you.

Milton

post-89895-0-78779300-1332338297_thumb.j

• Level 5*
The highlighted white boxes on the gray background are not matching my search.

Evernote Devs, while we are on this subject, could you please change the search highlight scheme?

The grey background (of the "normal" text) is so dark that it is very difficult to read the text.

It would be much better if you could follow the approach used by most other search engines and highlight ONLY the found text in a good (popular) highlight color (like light yellow) with the text in Black.

I know you guys don't like options, but it would be best for your users/customers if you would allow the user to choose the background highlight color.

This has been requested a number of times by other users.

Thanks.

I've had this happen too, or at least a variant thereof. For me, the problem is twofold: a failure to find a term I know is there, either a singel word or a compound term, (Apple Preview does find it), but also when a term IS found, the placement on the page is wacky, typically several paragraphs "away". To my knowledge, there is no resolution to this problem. I have pretty much backed off on depending on the search function for much at all. Use tags.

I have the same request. I'd certainly expect to have text or passages highlighted when performing a search in any document. This should apply to PDF documents, too. Evernote seems to find the PDF document that contains the search term, but doesn't mark the text or passage. Which mostly is quite cumbersome, especially regarding long documents like manuals etc.

Please, Evernote folks, do something about that issue.

The highlighted white boxes on the gray background are not matching my search.

Evernote Devs, while we are on this subject, could you please change the search highlight scheme?

The grey background (of the "normal" text) is so dark that it is very difficult to read the text.

It would be much better if you could follow the approach used by most other search engines and highlight ONLY the found text in a good (popular) highlight color (like light yellow) with the text in Black.

I know you guys don't like options, but it would be best for your users/customers if you would allow the user to choose the background highlight color.

This has been requested a number of times by other users.

Thanks.

I am having a terrible time reading my documents after a search. Why does the background turn dark grey? I've never seen this before. Evernote...can this be changed?

Archived