(Archived) suggestion:ability to add new notebooks(top-level). Please!?

I love evernote 2 and evernote 3 is awesome too but I really wish evernote 3 had the ability to add new notebooks and not just sub-notebooks. This will help me organize my files. Maybe there's a different way to do this with evernote 3?

Thanks!

You may have up to 100 top-level notebooks in your account. If you right-click on "Notebooks" in either desktop client, you can make a new notebook. You can also make a new notebook in the web UI.

Hi. Thanks for answering my question but I dont think my question was clear enough. Right now I can create 100 notebooks but my question is can I create sub-notebooks for those notebooks?I want to go another level down.

Thanks!

The list of notebooks is currently "flat", but if you want to organize a hierarchical scheme, you can do with this with tags, which can be organized into arbitrary trees.

The list of notebooks is currently "flat", but if you want to organize a hierarchical scheme, you can do with this with tags, which can be organized into arbitrary trees.

When will somebody admit that notebook != tag? It's the whole "container" vs. "tag" argument. They are not the same.

Besides which, it's a pain in the rear to assign tags. At least you can tell EN what notebook you want a note in *before* you create it.

When will somebody admit that notebook != tag? It's the whole "container" vs. "tag" argument. They are not the same.

I didn't read anyone as saying that notebooks and tags are the same, and dengberg was pretty clear in describing the notebook organisation as being flat.

But I agree that some form of hierarchical organisation should be there. Personally I don't care that much whether it's nested notebooks or truly hierarchical tags; but much material is most naturally expressed in hierarchies, and simulating these with the current tag arrangement is too manual and error prone to be optimal.

Besides which, it's a pain in the rear to assign tags. At least you can tell EN what notebook you want a note in *before* you create it.

Actually I find adding tags quick and nicely done. Drag-and-drop if I'm in mouse mode, ctrl-shift-T if I'm typing. It just goes to show that users differ, and it's often a mistake to generalise from our own reactions.

Actually I find adding tags quick and nicely done. Drag-and-drop if I'm in mouse mode, ctrl-shift-T if I'm typing. It just goes to show that users differ, and it's often a mistake to generalise from our own reactions.

Did you use EN2.2? There, you could select the tags (note, not just one) that you wanted to assign to notes *before* you started creating notes or clipping. I found this particular useful when doing research. For instance, I know I'm working on coding problem X; I select that tag in EN. I start creating notes, pasting in snippets from the web, screenshots, etc. After a couple of hours, I have created multiple notes, all exactly where I wanted them.

With EN3, I would have to use a notebook for the same functionality, but I can't really have one notebook per research problem. In fact, I've just read that there's an upper bound of 100 on the number of notebooks. That, plus the fact that the notebooks are flat, means I would have to resort to the new tags. Unfortunately, tags can only be assigned *after* the notes are created. So now, I would have to do all my work, and then go back to make sure I tagged all the notes appropriately. I've already noticed that I'm "losing" notes in EN3 - I'll be scrolling through some notes and find one that in the completely wrong place, so to speak.

I admit that it's not hard to assign tags on an one-by-one basis; and I do this for the miscellaneous clippings I take from the web. Just dump everything into the inbox and then process away. However, it's not a great workflow for serious work. And frankly, I'm not asking for anything new - just functionality that EN2.2 already provided.

Yes, I see your point. When I said above that I find the lack of a true tag hierarchy a bit manual and error prone, I guess I was making a similar point. In order to use the flat tag system to simulate a hierarchy, I'm finding that I have to apply very specific sets of tags to notes, and do sometimes make mistakes. I also am sometimes losing notes now and then.

Actually, I now have notes detailing for myself the procedure I should use for assigning tags to notes for certain purposes. That's a sign that I need some help from the app. I'm a bit neutral on whether this should be hierarchical tags or notebooks, or some form of auto-tagging, or enabling default sets of tags; but there clearly is a level of complexity missing from EN3 as it currently stands, for some kinds of note organisation.

Having said that, I'm still using it, extensively, in preference to anything else I can find. If I was a mac user, I might be tempted to have a look at Tinderbox.

Archived