(Archived) REQUEST: Note not disappear when notebook is changed

MadeByGrandad

Idea

If I'm editing a note in a notebook, say 'tasks', and I decide it would be better kept in a notebook 'projects', I change the notebook and frequently find myself editing a completely different note before I realise that the original note HAS MOVED to 'projects' but I haven't, so I'm now looking at a different note in 'tasks'.

I think it would be more intuitive to assume that, if I'm editing a particular note, I should stay with it. This would mean that EN, after my editing of the notebook, would switch me to that notebook - leaving me in the same task. Currently it stays in the original notebook but switches me into a different note - I have often found myself editing tags etc. in the wrong note because I haven't noticed the original one has gone (to its new notebook).

or is it just my brain that is strange?

7 replies to this idea

• Level 5*

There is a similar use case for the current behavior. For example, some folks send all imported notes or forwarded emails to a single Inbox notebook, and then want to weed through them later on. When doing this, they will want to spin though the Inbox, and categorize the notes (apply tags and assign notebooks). It's much easier to do this when you you *don't* change notebooks.

Royston, Jefito's right that there's disagreement on how this should function, since users have different workflows. This isn't a big deal for me, but I do something similar to what Jefito described. As I wrote in an earlier topic on this issue:

I agree with BNF that, when you are viewing one notebook and move a note out of that notebook, its disappearance is "desired behavior," at least from Evernote's point of view and from mine. One example of when that's perfect is: I have a notebook ("Feeds") just for RSS feed items. When I read an item that I want to save, I move it from Feeds to my main notebook. That note then disappears from view and I can keep reading my feed items. Of course, this use case may be particular to me, but it shows me the logic of this behavior, at least in some cases..

That discussion is here: http://discussion.ev...ing-notebooks/.

This has also been discussed in the thread on the new 3.0.7 beta, since apparently (I'm not using it), the behavior is different:

I'm using 3.0.7 Beta 1 (Evernote support had me upgrade to this version because it's claimed that it fixes a bug I was experiencing). One of the changes is that when you change the notebook on a currently selected note, Evernote takes you to that notebook. This is new to v 3.0.7, and it's a huge step backward. As I'm processing notes from my inbox, I'm continually having to navigate back to my inbox to continue. It's crazy-making.

http://discussion.ev...__20__p__129059

While that change may be what you want, I think a lot of users (anyone who has an Evernote inbox that they process) would not like it. That said, I see one more option that may have been suggested but, to my knowledge, has not yet been tried in actual implementation:

• When a user has selected NotebookA, is editing a note in that notebook, and changes that note to be in NotebookB, the note does not disappear from view until the user selects a new note. That way a user like Royston can change the notebook before making other changes to the note, without having the note disappear, and users like me can still quickly process inboxes.

Has that been tried in a previous version of Evernote?

There is a similar use case for the current behavior. For example, some folks send all imported notes or forwarded emails to a single Inbox notebook, and then want to weed through them later on. When doing this, they will want to spin though the Inbox, and categorize the notes (apply tags and assign notebooks). It's much easier to do this when you you *don't* change notebooks.

I agree with this, and this is how Evernote has always worked -- until the current beta. I "process" my inbox weekly until it's empty moving 100 or so notes to other notebooks, and it's crazy-making having to constantly navigate back to my inbox after moving a note.

I agree with this, and this is how Evernote has always worked -- until the current beta. I "process" my inbox weekly until it's empty moving 100 or so notes to other notebooks, and it's crazy-making having to constantly navigate back to my inbox after moving a note.

Same with me. I file everything in my Inbox once or twice a week and I've had to take to dragging notes to the appropriate notebook or I'll be shuttled all around Evernote. Though it can be worked around, I vastly prefer the old method of assigning notebooks.

Same with me. I file everything in my Inbox once or twice a week and I've had to take to dragging notes to the appropriate notebook or I'll be shuttled all around Evernote. Though it can be worked around, I vastly prefer the old method of assigning notebooks.

From the snippet view just right click the note preview in the second column and choose "move to notebook." You'll stay right where you are.

Here's the rationale from the beta 2 thread:

As an alternative, you can right click and use the "move to notebook" option as well as dragging one or more notes onto the notebook in the left panel.

/snip

The thought is that if you're on an individual note, having it disappear before your eyes is a little weird. Since you're acting within the note pane, we assume you're focus is there and that's the context you'd want to keep. The other actions happen in the middle pane or between the middle pane and left pane, so we assume you want to keep that as context.

Right. Like I said, I understand the workarounds and even the rationale for the change. But I still prefer the old method. When I'm processing and filing, I do want it to disappear before my eyes. I found it efficient not weird. :) I'll get over it but it doesn't hurt for Evernote to know where the users' preferences stand.

Right. Like I said, I understand the workarounds and even the rationale for the change. But I still prefer the old method. When I'm processing and filing, I do want it to disappear before my eyes. I found it efficient not weird. :) I'll get over it but it doesn't hurt for Evernote to know where the users' preferences stand.

Misunderstood...I didn't know you were aware of the contextual menu option. Anyway, I agree that it's probably disruptive for more than a few.

Archived