(Archived) REQUEST: Support for tables/cells

so far, it seems EN does not have any native support for tables. if i paste a table from elsewhere, things risk getting very jumbled up... especially once i view them on the smartphone. while there is the option of pasting a table on my PC (using MS Word), i don't know of any way to make a table in EN on my iPhone.

i find tables extremely useful for most of the notes i make, since tables are simply and awesomely NEAT (especially for larger amounts of information).

will EN ever work on natively supporting tables? and to make it even more awesome, will EN ever attempt to support excel-style cells? *droool*

• Level 5*

Not sure what you mean -- Evernote does actually use HTML tables behind the scenes. What it doesn't have is the fine-grained tools for creating, styling, and manipulating tables that we're accustomed to in products like MS Word, etc. -- it's all pretty basic on the desktop side of things. They've gradually improved their support for tables over time, but I'm not so sure that full-bodies spreadsheeting is what they're after, at least not currently. And thr mobile clients don't seem to have much native ability to be able to manipulate tables; they're still dealing with making rich text editing seamless, from what I've seen n the Android client.

Yeah, the intent is to improve our table functionality over time, but it's definitely not a priority at the moment compared to some other features and fixes in the pipeline.

• Level 5*

I say it because a) it's true and b ) but people keep asking.

I don't worry about it, myself. Evernote is useful to me now. New features come out, I'll figure out if they're useful for me, I'll incorporate them if they are.

• Level 5*

I think it is human nature of people (users) to want to know where their "favorite" products are headed.

Sometimes, people are trying to make important decisions about selecting a tool for their needs.

So, we will keep asking.

I also understand that because product development is so unpredictable and confidential, that the owners don't like to make promises, or even hints, about future features.

But, it can be very helpful if the owners, or their representatives, advise us of features or directions that are completely out of scope for the application. And, in fact, Evernote employees have done this in a number of occasions. The key here is that these "out of scope" statements need to be made by senior company officials if these statements are to be relied upon.

But the marketing side of people tend to want to somewhat advertise the future features.

So we do in fact sometimes get indications of future features from Evernote employees.

It is a natural tension that will continue on for the foreseeable future.

As evidenced in this forum, no matter how many times it is stated that the company does not publish its roadmap, users will continue to ask. So what does it accomplish to continue to restate the "no roadmap" policy?

Sometimes the best response is no response.

• Level 5*
As evidenced in this forum, no matter how many times it is stated that the company does not publish its roadmap, users will continue to ask. So what does it accomplish to continue to restate the "no roadmap" policy?

For new folks who come here, it's easy enough to state what we've heard from Evernote staffers: Evernote does not usually give out their roadmap. That often suffices: better some communication that may not be what they want to hear than no communication at all. On the other hand, there are certainly people in this world who will repeatedly ask "Are we there yet?" until they either get the answer "Yes, we are here" or an elbow to the throat. Usually they're young children who eventually grow out of the habit, though...

Sometimes the best response is no response.

LOL

• 1 month later...

Yeah, the intent is to improve our table functionality over time, but it's definitely not a priority at the moment compared to some other features and fixes in the pipeline.

I don't think I'm alone in thinking that the need for rich text editing and support for editing tables on mobile devices is badly needed. Right now on the Android client, if I make a simple text note on my PC and include the horizontal line, I can't even edit it properly on my tablet. I'm not even going to go into more complicated things like web clips and whatnot. Don't get me wrong, I love Evernote and use it for just about everything, but it does get quite annoying when the compatibility gap between PC, Web App, and mobile platforms is pretty darn wide. Considering everything else Evernote is capable of, you would think that the compatibility issue would be a high priority. I'm curious to see where the Evernote staff places compatibility issues on their list of priorities. What do you think, gbarry? Are we going to see any major changes in the mobile platform's ability to edit anything more than text-only notes anytime soon?

Archived