Syncing changes in attachments

I have become heavily dependent on EN functionality to sync changes in attachments after annotating them. Are there any hopes for this functionality to appear on Android any time soon? Is it technically feasible at all on non-desktop OS-s? Thanks

• Level 5*

Can you open an attachment and annotate it on your Android client? -This would probably be an Android issue, not an Evernote one: attachments can only open in 'read only' because there are few image / word processors available which allow editing the original. Can you be a little more specific about what type of attachments you're annotating, and what Android client you're viewing them on?

Most of my attachments are pdf files. I use RepliGo reader which annotates pdf files just as desktop programs do. There is also EZpdf and I am sure there many other with that functionality. Also, MS Office files can be edited with QuickOffice, Documents to Go etc.

So I have a pdf file in a note. I want to simply open, annotate, save it - and have EN sync it (to the note it was opened from) just as it does on Windows. Currently it is possible to, once editing is done, "share" the file to Evernote and get it saved to a new note. But in that case you end up with the original note with the unchanged file, tags etc. and a new note with the changed file, no tags etc.

I guess this is because of Android limitations (and iOS as far as I know) but would like to know if anything can be done about it...

• Level 5*

Hmmn - I'm currently getting an alert when I open an attachment (in ezPDF reader) "document opened from DATASTREAM changes cannot be saved" - although as you note I can make changes and (apparently) export/ share them. I think the work-around is going to have to be to save changes back to a new note until Android/ Evernote offer a better option.

• 3 months later...

I apologize that I don't have a solution, but I just want to add that I would love to have this functionality in Android. Perhaps it can only happen if Evernote includes native PDF annotation in its app? Either way, lack of the feature is keeping me from purchasing a tablet.

• Level 5*

I don't think any of the mobile platforms allow you to edit a PDF and save it back into the note. Until that feature comes to the mobile client, one solution is to work with your current/active projects in Dropbox or Google Drive, and to wait until you are finished with the files before uploading them to Evernote. An additional benefit of doing this is that you take advantage of the strengths of each app: Dropbox allows unlimited uploads within their limited account size, and Evernote restricts the amount of uploads within an ever-growing account.

• Level 5*

It's a good idea! And one that has convinced me to grab a Nexus 7. But I hold out hope mobile PDF annotation will come.

Thanks. I ended up putting in a pre-order for the Nexus as well. It will be nice to upgrade from my Droid phone. I'm still running the original version, and it is getting a little long in the tooth. Jelly Bean + Nexus + Evernote will be a great combination :)

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think any of the mobile platforms allow you to edit a PDF and save it back into the note. Until that feature comes to the mobile client, one solution is to work with your current/active projects in Dropbox or Google Drive, and to wait until you are finished with the files before uploading them to Evernote. An additional benefit of doing this is that you take advantage of the strengths of each app: Dropbox allows unlimited uploads within their limited account size, and Evernote restricts the amount of uploads within an ever-growing account.

ezPDF Reader can make changes to PDF files by modifying/adding annotations. Saving it back into the note should be done by Evernote, not the 3rd software.

I found this feature very important !

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I would love to have help on this as well. I store all of my medical journal articles in evernote as pdfs and am constantly opening these up on the Adroid platform. I would love to be able to highlight and then save directly back into evernote. I have tried a number of pdf readers and have not found one that offers this functionality. It works great on my desktop. I open a pdf in Adobe pro, make my highlights, save the file and the highlights are available in that note. Bring this to android, please!

• 4 months later...
  • Level 5*

Hello there,

today I recogniced the same problem as discussed here.

By this time, is there any solution for annotating attached pdfs in evernote on android or is using a sync with dropbox still the first choice?

Hi and welcome to the forums.  No change that I'm aware of..

• 6 months later...

In the latest version, the PDF attachment can be opened with an external PDF editor/viewer like RepliGo to annotate on Android. When exiting the PDF editor/viewer, Evernote asks whether to append new or replace. Choose either and the saved PDF is synchronized back to the note immediately.

• 5 months later...

Hi. 

With Evernote on my mac, I open a PDF in an external editor (Skim), make highlights, save the file.  When I open the file again from Evernote, I find that the file is the original version. 

I want to start using Evernote to take all my academic notes and store the PDF's (course notes and articles) along side my notes.  It would completely break my workflow to have to re-insert the PDF into a new note every single time I 'open with'.  I must be missing something here. 

People on the forum seem to think it's an Android problem but I don't think it is since it is also not working on a mac. 

Maybe I could figure this out if I could find where Evernote saves attachments.  I notice that Evernote creates a backup of my attachment every time I open it, but no matter where I save the updated file, EN does not accept it. 

Can anyone help?

• 2 months later...

Note attachment (e.g. pdf) is stored locally (physically) in App\Profile\Databases\Attachments location of Windows Evernote App.

Annotating of the file (e.g. in Adobe reader) followed by replacing of the file in the location is present / visible in the app as it is reading directly from App\Profile\Databases. The attachment containing (new) annotation is synched without any issues.

Android Evernote app seems not to have such local database directory where attachments are stored physically.

If it does, replacement of the attachment would do the job I suppose.

Archived